Pres Café
CITV is to close - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: CITV is to close (/showthread.php?tid=384)

RE: CITV is to close - WillPS - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 10:44 AM)CCFG Wrote:  Why on earth have they waited until the final day do to this? Surely it's better to direct them to ITVX at least a couple weeks in advance?

Agree it's odd. Perhaps there were reasons why advertisers expected them to trail content as 'on CITV' right up to the end, and only today has that requirement become moot?

It does rather beg the question why they bothered doing them at all - I can only think these will be used as filler from tomorrow morning on ITV2, in which case the lack of a voiceover (and the fact CITV's branding lives on with the Mr Bean one) does indeed perhaps give a hint as to how little effort they will be putting in to this output.

RE: CITV is to close - orange - 01-09-2023

You’ve now got a more mature brand identity sat there in awkward silence at the end of promos, and even in that promo ad they’ve done the absolute bare minimum for the branding at the end of it - what was the thinking behind that?

Surely the easiest way to go about it would’ve been carrying over the CITV brand into ITVX instead of doing away with it altogether right? I really don’t think the ITVX branding is appropriate or engaging enough for a younger audience. If they’d even swapped the navy with the neon green and focused on that for the kids service then that would’ve been better… but it doesn’t even look like they’ve put any deep thought or consideration into it. Bleh.

RE: CITV is to close - Kunst - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 01:14 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Agree it's odd. Perhaps there were reasons why advertisers expected them to trail content as 'on CITV' right up to the end, and only today has that requirement become moot?

It does rather beg the question why they bothered doing them at all - I can only think these will be used as filler from tomorrow morning on ITV2, in which case the lack of a voiceover (and the fact CITV's branding lives on with the Mr Bean one) does indeed perhaps give a hint as to how little effort they will be putting in to this output.

Very likely yes, from tomorrow these will be used as fillers

Speaking of, there appears to be more fillers and less adverts airing today, for obvious reasons

RE: CITV is to close - Kunst - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 01:16 PM)orange Wrote:  You’ve now got a more mature brand identity sat there in awkward silence at the end of promos, and even in that promo ad they’ve done the absolute bare minimum for the branding at the end of it - what was the thinking behind that?

Surely the easiest way to go about it would’ve been carrying over the CITV brand into ITVX instead of doing away with it altogether right? I really don’t think the ITVX branding is appropriate or engaging enough for a younger audience. If they’d even swapped the navy with the neon green and focused on that for the kids service then that would’ve been better… but it doesn’t even look like they’ve put any deep thought or consideration into it. Bleh.

This is not the BBC, you've answered your own question yourself: they don't care so much about the younger audience, at the end of the day, which is why CITV is getting the axe and CBBC not

RE: CITV is to close - Brekkie - 01-09-2023

We'll see how long the ITVX branding lasts too but the more they seem to be pushing "on ITV1 and ITVX" in their daytime shows now (seemingly no longer worried about STV) the more I think it should have been ITV (rather than C4) where it would make more sense for the main channel and online service to share the same name.

In the shorter term what will be interesting is how much new content gets a linear outing - I suspect if they do it will be months after their debut on ITVX rather than launching alongside them.

RE: CITV is to close - WillPS - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 01:16 PM)orange Wrote:  You’ve now got a more mature brand identity sat there in awkward silence at the end of promos, and even in that promo ad they’ve done the absolute bare minimum for the branding at the end of it - what was the thinking behind that?

It's a channel they don't care about with an audience they don't really care about retaining in any way shape or form, I suspect is the answer.

I doubt we'd be getting even these token efforts if they didn't have an obligation to provide something at breakfast time still (and I presume that'll be as unpromoted as you can imagine in order to justify dropping that requirement in time).

I agree it would have made sense to absorb the CITV brand as an ITV X offer, if they genuinely saw Childrens output/streaming as a part of their value proposition longer term.

RE: CITV is to close - LouBlu08 - 01-09-2023

ITV have acknowledged the closure with a nostalgia post on Twitter (what do you mean it's called X now). https://twitter.com/ITV/status/1697593586957869544 
They still don't give a darn about the brand all too much but hey, at least they mentioned it's impending doom.

RE: CITV is to close - Brekkie - 01-09-2023

It's a shame BARB don't publish the +1 data separately anymore - I know in the early days of C4+1 and then ITV1+1 they would perform as well as the separate digital channels, whilst the likes of E4+1 could add 25% to the audience.

Presumably ITV3 daytime ad rates will increase slightly in anticipation of them finding a wider audience, though as it's an audience already so well served it'll surely bring in less than the harder to reach kids audience, although of course at practically zero cost in comparison to even the shoe string budget CITV was built on.

Do any organisations monitor new kids content in the UK? In Australia they publish it annually, and surprise surprise it showed once the requirement of the FTA commercials to provide kids content (only a couple of years ago with covid used as an excuse) was scrapped the hours fell to practically zero.

RE: CITV is to close - interestednovice - 01-09-2023

Indeed!

I somewhat assumed that the ITV Kids rebrand package originally intended for CITV (which was part of the package designed for all the other channels) was going to be adapted into distinct ITV X Kids branding for use on linear and across the ITV X website as a separate site area.

Obviously this was initially junked once ITV decided to close CITV instead, but the lack of adaptation of ITV X for the audience is a missed opportunity. They could have made it much more useful for children because, as others have said, it’s not that easy to navigate for kids. The BBC have a Kids profile by default on iPlayer and ITV probably should have done the same.

(01-09-2023, 01:17 PM)Kunst Wrote:  Very likely yes, from tomorrow these will be used as fillers

Speaking of, there appears to be more fillers and less adverts airing today, for obvious reasons

Maybe they sold tailored advertising up to the 31st of August and today is an “extra day” with only non-targeted network quota ads and promos to fill out the last day?

That sort of links with the earlier point, already raised by others, that perhaps there were contractual requirements around the CITV branding and possibly not diverting the audience away from the linear outlet with the targeted ads up until the end of yesterday?

RE: CITV is to close - ckck1704 - 01-09-2023

The itvx kids promo now explicitly states that citv is closing.