Pres Café
CITV is to close - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: CITV is to close (/showthread.php?tid=384)

RE: CITV is to close - WillPS - 02-09-2023

(02-09-2023, 07:05 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  That all follows except for the fact that we have already seen that the network-wide rebrand did, in fact, have ITV Kids branding prepared. At one point, most likely, this was intended to be for a rebranded CITV channel but it could easily have been used for this new service to “fit in better” with ITV 2.

It seems that they decided to keep CITV instead due to the aforementioned nostalgia wave, which was probably a smart move. It’s somehow apt for an old brand to live on to fulfil an old contractual obligation!

That's just early concept work though, clearly given the brief of outlining branding for the ITV network of channels. Obviously at some later stage CITV was dropped from that brief, no doubt half an eye on the channel being sunset in the near future.

There's probably just a reality that they need some way of separating Childrens content from the rest of ITV2, and CITV is an in-the-can ready-to-go way of doing that. Very much doubt they've preserved it because of people reminiscing about Spatz.

RE: CITV is to close - Andrew - 02-09-2023

(02-09-2023, 07:05 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  That all follows except for the fact that we have already seen that the network-wide rebrand did, in fact, have ITV Kids branding prepared. At one point, most likely, this was intended to be for a rebranded CITV channel but it could easily have been used for this new service to “fit in better” with ITV 2.

It seems that they decided to keep CITV instead due to the aforementioned nostalgia wave, which was probably a smart move. It’s somehow apt for an old brand to live on to fulfil an old contractual obligation!

I’m not sure it would make sense to bin the CITV brand and introduce a new ITV Kids brand just for it to be used on a small strand on ITV2

RE: CITV is to close - interestednovice - 02-09-2023

Yes, I agree it was likely concept work although what we ended up seeing as final on other ITV network channels matches very closely to the rest of the concept slideshow - so it was all pretty well developed. There’s no reason ITV couldn’t end up airing the (what was originally) concept work, if they liked it!

I agree that there would have been no point in a new brand, unless it was to tie-in with a new website separate from ITV X, or possibly as a differently-branded sub service of ITV X. Clearly somebody decided that pushing ITV X as a standalone service with everything under one brand was the way to go, so to avoid detracting from that strategic vision ITV X Kids content is not branded any differently.

Hence CITV then becoming the obvious brand to use on ITV 2, especially as the channel closure has attracted attention to CITV lately.

Continuing with a CITV strand allows ITV to easily assuage complaints too, as they can clearly demonstrate that the channel has simply “turned into” a strand alongside a beefed up ITV X offering which caters to “how children consume media today”.

(02-09-2023, 07:23 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Yes, I agree it was likely concept work although what we ended up seeing as final on other ITV network channels matches very closely to the rest of the concept slideshow - so it was all pretty well developed. There’s no reason ITV couldn’t end up airing the (what was originally) concept work, if they liked it!

... but there's nothing to air? There's just some artwork in what appears to be part of a pitch/presentation. You can't just pop that in to a playout system.

I think you're looking for patterns where none exist. There's no sign at all that it was ever not the plan to continue using the CITV brand for the children's output they're contractually obliged to put out. There's no reaction to anything, it's just convenient.

RE: CITV is to close - eyeTV - 02-09-2023

(02-09-2023, 07:14 PM)Andrew Wrote:  I’m not sure it would make sense to bin the CITV brand and introduce a new ITV Kids brand just for it to be used on a small strand on ITV2

Well quite, all consistent with the lack of care, clarity and apathy that exists across TV branding these days. 

I mean if you cared about your brand you definitely would do something to unify it all. 

But there you go. I mean there isn't any ITVX Kids branding at all is there other than a static logo?

RE: CITV is to close - Andrew - 02-09-2023

(02-09-2023, 08:09 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Well quite, all consistent with the lack of care, clarity and apathy that exists across TV branding these days. 

I mean if you cared about your brand you definitely would do something to unify it all. 

But there you go. I mean there isn't any ITVX Kids branding at all is there other than a static logo?

Children’s services often don’t carry the branding from the main ‘adult’ services

Most of CITV’s life has had logos that is nothing like the corporate ITV logo of the time

RE: CITV is to close - James2001 - 02-09-2023

And I think when they did use the ITV logo when the 1989 generic look came in, it was reluctant and forced on them- which is why it was usually only the opening link that used that logo, and the rest of the slot used a different logo and idents (and that continued for a while even after CITV had a new look in 1991).

RE: CITV is to close - Torpido - 02-09-2023

The nearest you get is the master branding on the bbc kids channels and sky on their kid's channel as well

RE: CITV is to close - Orry Verducci - 02-09-2023

(02-09-2023, 06:08 PM)L1_ Wrote:  I'm not very clued up on this but CITV was played out by Erricson in Chiswick like the other ITV digital channels I believe (?) so the equipment will all still be in use as before.

Red Bee (Ericsson's successor) are planning to move ITV Presentation to a new playout facility in their White City broadcast centre. So the servers used to originate CITV will probably be decommissioned.

Also I had heard CITV primarily came from Leeds with Chiswick as DR, in contrast to the other channels with are the other way around. Not 100% sure on that though.

One of the satellite feeds is still looping the 'CITV is closed' version of the ITVX promo along with the closure message, DOG still on screen.