Pres Café
CITV is to close - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: CITV is to close (/showthread.php?tid=384)

RE: CITV is to close - W. Knight - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 03:48 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  With the risk of going slightly off topic, the last update we had on CBBC's closure (and of BBC Four BTW) was in May last year where Charlotte Moore (the BBC's Chief Content Officer) said that the channels won't close "until we think they don't bring value to audiences".  "At the moment, they are extremely good value," Moore insisted. "We won't close those channels until there is that tipping point. Now when that tipping point will come, when we think, 'Actually, that isn't providing value to audiences', none of us quite know, but we're using data to evaluate that all the time." 
Make of that what you will
Allow me to add the source here:
https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/current-affairs/bbc-four-cbbc-closure-update-newsupdate/ 
But the same article also has this:
Quote:Referencing BBC Four and CBBC and how they appeal, respectively, to older and younger viewers, Moore said: "It's very important that we have these channels in order to be genuinely a universal broadcaster, but we are [also] using those channels at the moment to help drive audiences to iPlayer, because obviously younger audiences absolutely know how to get to iPlayer but that's not a universal experience for everybody.

"So we're using those channels very much as a way to drive and grow iPlayer."
Re the closure - sad to see another one go, but I guess children's viewing habits have changed to a no-return point for these channels in the past decade. Prefer the CITV brand to keep running on ITVX though - too valuable to lost.

RE: CITV is to close - XIII - 10-03-2023

There is a lot of nostalgia about CITV but kids today have more options and this is just the same as when ITV dropped the CITV block way back in 2005.

RE: CITV is to close - Roger Darthwell - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 04:10 PM)XIII Wrote:  There is a lot of nostalgia about CITV but kids today have more options and this is just the same as when ITV dropped the CITV block way back in 2005.

I don't think it's a fair comparison, because the reason why the block was dropped back then......was because the CITV channel itself was launched

RE: CITV is to close - WillPS - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 04:19 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  
(10-03-2023, 04:10 PM)XIII Wrote:  There is a lot of nostalgia about CITV but kids today have more options and this is just the same as when ITV dropped the CITV block way back in 2005.

I don't think it's a fair comparison, because the reason why the block was dropped back then......was because the CITV channel itself was launched

The reason was because ITV could make more money doing something else with that time/space/effort. The justification was the CITV channel.

RE: CITV is to close - L1_ - 10-03-2023

I think scrapping pre-school programmes off CITV Channel some years ago (well before Little Be started IIRC) damaged it's viewing figures.

The majority of CITV's audience is at school for most of it's airtime, and the massive choice kids have these days tells me that it will not be a massive loss. A shame to see the long standing CITV brand name go though.

RE: CITV is to close - Roger Darthwell - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 04:27 PM)L1_ Wrote:  I think scrapping pre-school programmes off CITV Channel some years ago (well before Little Be started IIRC) damaged it's viewing figures.

The majority of CITV's audience is at school for most of it's airtime, and the massive choice kids have these days tells me that it will not be a massive loss. A shame to see the long standing CITV brand name go though.

What do you mean by ''massive choice'' exactly?

RE: CITV is to close - Kunst - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 04:40 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  
(10-03-2023, 04:27 PM)L1_ Wrote:  I think scrapping pre-school programmes off CITV Channel some years ago (well before Little Be started IIRC) damaged it's viewing figures.

BBC iPlayer, Disney+, Netflix, YouTube, and so on

RE: CITV is to close - Rex - 10-03-2023

Children have far more options when it comes to content. Linear children's channels have to compete with not only streaming services, but also the likes of YouTube/TikTok and video games for content consumption. There's an uphill battle to be had here, and it's a losing one.

RE: CITV is to close - XIII - 10-03-2023

A lot of the comments about CITV online are from adults who probably haven't watched CITV in decades.

RE: CITV is to close - L1_ - 10-03-2023

All the streamers, YouTube, Tiktok, etc. There was only TV 20 years ago, not everything there is today.