Pres Café
CITV is to close - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: CITV is to close (/showthread.php?tid=384)

RE: CITV is to close - ITVMan - 10-03-2023

If you ask me, "ITVX Kids" sounds like a really stupid name. They could've repurposed the CITV brand for the new service rather than dispose of it

RE: CITV is to close - F4C - 10-03-2023

Let’s be fair, this has been coming for ages. ITV have gradually wound down investment in the channel, and the rebrand last year, with CITV nowhere in sight, was the writing on the wall. Always seemed like once Carlton and Granada merged that kids’ programming existed more just to satisfy Ofcom rather than genuinely trying to make a success of it. 

I wonder how Ofcom will react to ITV’s plans, come to think of it. And whether ITV might do something with the channel bandwidth or just sell it off….

RE: CITV is to close - Roger Darthwell - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 11:23 PM)XIII Wrote:  
(10-03-2023, 11:03 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  More options but still the same limited amount of time to watch.

Sticking everything online means people can watch what they want when they want, but that's not necessarily a good thing. It eradicates all the positives of what a varied schedule brings. How many programmes have we all watched that we didn't intend to but we learned something or even were able to ponder why we didn't like it?  People being able to just watch (and they're perfectly entitled to of course) what they want for hours on end isn't healthy, particularly those with developing minds.

Some programmes/subjects also wouldn't get much-needed awareness if it wasn't for linear TV.
Streaming is not going to be scrapped by any broadcasters in favour of pure linear TV. It's the present and the future and we just have to accept that.

In my humble opinion I never said about scrapping one in favour of the other, I said that the only future is coexistence

RE: CITV is to close - tellyblues - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 11:23 PM)XIII Wrote:  
(10-03-2023, 11:03 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  More options but still the same limited amount of time to watch.

Sticking everything online means people can watch what they want when they want, but that's not necessarily a good thing. It eradicates all the positives of what a varied schedule brings. How many programmes have we all watched that we didn't intend to but we learned something or even were able to ponder why we didn't like it?  People being able to just watch (and they're perfectly entitled to of course) what they want for hours on end isn't healthy, particularly those with developing minds.

Some programmes/subjects also wouldn't get much-needed awareness if it wasn't for linear TV.
Streaming is not going to be scrapped by any broadcasters in favour of pure linear TV. It's the present and the future and we just have to accept that.

Not suggesting that it should be scrapped.

Unsurprisingly, a sockless puppet gets the vote.

RE: CITV is to close - cable - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 11:23 PM)ITVMan Wrote:  If you ask me, "ITVX Kids" sounds like a really stupid name. They could've repurposed the CITV brand for the new service rather than dispose of it

lets be fair, this will most likely appears as "KIDS" in the nav bar at the top of the page, possibly with a different colour scheme to the rest of ITVX. it will just exists as the kids area on ITVX. Unless they plan to also develop an app around the concept ala YouTube kids.

It could be that they commission more family based drama and comedy, like Peter and Wendy (2015) which could be shown on ITV1 and then be listed under the kids section.

Repurpose the CITV brand!? the brand is worthless, they would not have tried to kill if off at the last rebrand if it were salvagable. People need to get with the times and move on. Would you prefer to be stuck in a loop "Watching with Mother", singing the muffin the mule song!? it is better to have loved and lost then to never have loved at all!

RE: CITV is to close - GMc - 10-03-2023

With the channel closing, is it possible for ITV to use the bandwidth to add an extra HD channel to Freeview - ITV4 perhaps? I realise they'd need more bandwidth for that, so potentially closing ITV2 +1? I'm not clued-up on the technical side of things like this, just wondering if that would be at all possible.

RE: CITV is to close - cable - 11-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 11:54 PM)GMc Wrote:  With the channel closing, is it possible for ITV to use the bandwidth to add an extra HD channel to Freeview - ITV4 perhaps? I realise they'd need more bandwidth for that, so potentially closing ITV2 +1? I'm not clued-up on the technical side of things like this, just wondering if that would be at all possible.

Unfortunately not unless they upgrade Multiplex 2 to DVB-T2, unlikely given they just paid to upgrade Mux B with the BBC for regional HD. The current stream as someone said previously may go to increasing hours of a +1 initially.

RE: CITV is to close - Rex - 11-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 11:54 PM)GMc Wrote:  With the channel closing, is it possible for ITV to use the bandwidth to add an extra HD channel to Freeview - ITV4 perhaps? I realise they'd need more bandwidth for that, so potentially closing ITV2 +1? I'm not clued-up on the technical side of things like this, just wondering if that would be at all possible.
CITV is currently being carried on Multiplex A, a band of channels that isn't equipped to carry HD material. Don't expect ITV to add HD versions of channels when there is virtually no bandwidth at the moment to do so.

Expect an extended ITV3+1 which accounts for the entirety of the broadcast day save for teleshopping. I don't think they will replace the channel on Sky, Virgin and Freesat, there's simply no appetite for them to reuse the channel space for something else.

RE: CITV is to close - interestednovice - 11-03-2023

They will, however, be able to sell/trade their EPG slots if they could get other kids channels interested in being bumped up the EPG.

RE: CITV is to close - mumu03 - 11-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 06:35 PM)cable Wrote:  Back when I was younger CITV was great, Fun house, MPAA, ZZZap etc. that 1998-2005 period was exquisite.

BUT CITV hasn't really been great since the ban on junk food advertising 2005. They were limited as they could not set up CITV Ltd which would allow them to properly exploit IP and merchandise the same way BBC WW did with Teletubbies etc.

The channel was late to market, originally envisaged in 2001 as a partnership with NICK, INK never was realised and after mutual backing away the CITV channel launched in 2006. By this time it was placed at the end of the kids section on Cable and Satellite, On Freeview it was placed 3rd. The audience targeting 6-12 narrowed its audience when it previously under 16.
In fairness, I'm not aware of the channel being mapped out as a partnership with Nickelodeon as far back as 2001 - prior to the latter part of the year CITV still had most of its budget intact, and it wasn't until the first big cuts came in November that the initial plans for a digital channel to get a head start on CBBC were cancelled.

Indeed, those cuts were why ex-Nick UK, TVS, and Meridian children's head Janie Grace was suggesting the "CITV Ltd" that never went through either. Which was partly due to her departure the following year, ahead of Grace's predecessor as children's controller Nigel Pickard becoming overall ITV programmes director. Pickard, despite commissioning lot more live content like SMTV and other popular shows mentioned, had arguably dropped the ball in other areas before her - e.g. pitching the strand even younger than ever, with the axing of Children's Ward and other dramas.

So ironically, despite Grace having came to CITV from Nick (and also introducing a raft of its shows in the place of originals), the whole "ITV Nickelodeon Kids" scheme came around after her in 2004. And this was just before in-house children's productions were culled entirely, but the CITV brand had already started to be devalued by ITV that year with the loss of live in-vision pres (again), all of its attendant viewer interactivity, etc.

In fact if they'd kept that around in some form (like the Beeb has managed to for CBBC after all these years), I could easily imagine more dissent towards the scrapping of the CITV brand altogether now, as well as less of a case for it besides its recognition and connection with nearly everyone here besides children. But they didn't.