Pres Café
RTE / TG4 General Presentation thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: RTE / TG4 General Presentation thread (/showthread.php?tid=390)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: RTE / TG4 General Presentation thread - Rdd - 17-03-2024

Happy St Patrick’s Day!

The shamrock themed DOGs have made a reappearance this year on RTE.

RE: RTE / TG4 General Presentation thread - bkman1990 - 21-03-2024

VMTV have included a new endboard for their programmes to celebrate 25 years of public service broadcasting from today.

The Virgin Media logo is quite big on top however the text showcasing their broadcasting milestone is quite small.

The new endboard does come with new music though which sounds good.

RE: RTE / TG4 General Presentation thread - JMT1985 - 21-03-2024

(21-03-2024, 12:07 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  VMTV have included a new endboard for their programmes to celebrate 25 years of public service broadcasting from today.

The Virgin Media logo is quite big on top however the text showcasing their broadcasting milestone is quite small.

25 years, but almost 20 years of them when they were known as TV3 and not the idiotic branding of Virgin Media which I still think is stupid

RE: RTE / TG4 General Presentation thread - Rdd - 21-03-2024

Hmm, I’m sure they do some public service broadcasting in between their daily dose of ten hours of the Chase. (I’m not kidding, at least about the ten hours of the Chase part!).

RE: RTE / TG4 General Presentation thread - TVenthusiasm - 21-03-2024

(21-03-2024, 12:07 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  VMTV have included a new endboard for their programmes to celebrate 25 years of public service broadcasting from today.

No, that was actually used for a few weeks ago (from my perspective anyway)

(21-03-2024, 12:24 AM)Rdd Wrote:  Hmm, I’m sure they do some public service broadcasting in between their daily dose of ten hours of the Chase. (I’m not kidding, at least about the ten hours of the Chase part!).

Well their news content is actually fairly big for a commercial channel - News at 12.30, News at 5.30 and News at 7 all add up to 1.5 hours of main news, along with summaries during Ireland AM and Tonight Show. Tonight Show also fulfils public service broadcasting.

In a typical weekday, VM1 provides around 6.5 hours of home produced content from their own studios, which is good going.

RE: RTE / TG4 General Presentation thread - Brekkie - 21-03-2024

It's pretty good going though is there a legal requirement for 25% of their output to be original content? Canada has a quota around that level and generally live news and programming is the most cost effective way of fulfilling it.

RE: RTE / TG4 General Presentation thread - chinamug - 21-03-2024

(21-03-2024, 10:55 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Well their news content is actually fairly big for a commercial channel - News at 12.30, News at 5.30 and News at 7 all add up to 1.5 hours of main news, along with summaries during Ireland AM and Tonight Show. Tonight Show also fulfils public service broadcasting.

In a typical weekday, VM1 provides around 6.5 hours of home produced content from their own studios, which is good going.

Well if the News didn't bring in the viewers they wouldn't be doing it. When UTV Ireland and TV3 newsrooms merged the standard of their News content went way up. It's very tabloid but it's a decent news service, unlike say 10 years ago when it was barely press releases read out.

News is easily the most watched home produced content on the Channel (outside of sports) I'm surprised they don't have more bulletins on. The only problem with the news service is that it tends to disappear around Christmas for 10 days and it's weak at the weekends.

They finally seemed to realise that News works in the Irish Market. There were several periods in the stations history were they were cutting back news to the bare minimum and what was broadcast wasn't great.

Well lets look at VM1 news output

Ireland AM has news summaries at every half hour from 7am to 10am

News at 12.30, News at 5.30 and News at 7, all half hour news programmes

Tonight Show incorporates news into their show, but they don't do any Friday edition, which I guess means no late news update on a Friday?

Weekends, they have a half hour of news at 5.30, which in some ways resembles Channel 4 News here in the UK, who provide on half hour of news on a Saturday and Sunday.

Ireland AM also airs at weekends from 9am to Midday with news headlines part of those three hours

All in all I believe this is excellent provision, and add along The Six O'Clock Show (starting at 6.05pm for some reason) they do have plenty of home produced content, well all coming from their two television studios in Dublin, which makes it cheap to produce

Considering RTE 1 doesn't even bother to offer an alternative breakfast show, and considering RTE 1 just starts their news at 1pm on RTE 1, I have to say Ireland AM has tapped into the small but decent morning viewership which RTE seem happy to abandon

As regards to Christmas, I think we can excuse them providing a large news service over the festive season, as it is a time when most people avoid news

RE: RTE / TG4 General Presentation thread - Kunst - 21-03-2024

Why hasn't Ireland even the minimal idea about local stations? E.g. opt outs for RTE1

I realize the British Isles have never been too good at it (see Scotland, for instance), but in Ireland the thing seems a tad extreme

They could potentially divide Ireland in the three/four historical provinces, and so on

Just see how Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland and other countries with a similar population or structure are good at it