Pres Café
Talk TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Talk TV (/showthread.php?tid=43)

RE: Talk TV - Newsroom - 28-01-2023

Nadine Dorries has reportedly been slapped having broken the Ministerial code for failing to follow the rules.

I won't quote the sources, but readily available if you google.

I'm surprised given the person's lack of anything whatsoever, coupled with the channel's agenda that this is even a thing to be discussing, but I shall be tuning in for comedy.

Given her history, this will be a fabulous watch for entertainment. Dorries can't read autocue, can't cope with talkback and will be massaging her favourite subject! WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

RE: Talk TV - Newshound47 - 28-01-2023

Not sure if it’s been mentioned before but Nadine Dorries has a 26 week contract so I imagine once she gets close to the end of that they will review and decide if to extend her show or not.

RE: Talk TV - TheGregmeister - 28-01-2023

I'd like to ask what made Nadine Dorries "Britain's worst Culture Secretary" but then this would become a political discussion, which isn't allowed on this forum.

That said, she was indeed terrible when she last had a go at being a presenter.

RE: Talk TV - London Lite - 28-01-2023

All I can say is Dorries makes Mercy Muroki a consummate broadcaster in comparison.

TalkTV will be hoping her first show with Boris Johnson will target a broader audience as they really need higher ratings.

RE: Talk TV - KrazyKei - 29-01-2023

This is nothing new from News UK. Bringing in the 'big' names to get the attention but now this is becoming desperate. I'm starting to believe old Rupert has completely lost his mojo and for a man in his 90's (which is phenomenal), surely he has to realise that the news and media world has moved on with technology and new trends developing when it comes to news and talk. If this keeps going, I genuinely believe that GB News will not only keep their superior viewings (compared to TalkTV) but also overtake them with more radio listeners than TalkTV and that in itself would be embarrassing considering the money that have spent compared to GB News.

RE: Talk TV - gottago - 29-01-2023

(28-01-2023, 04:32 PM)TheGregmeister Wrote:  I'd like to ask what made Nadine Dorries "Britain's worst Culture Secretary" but then this would become a political discussion, which isn't allowed on this forum.

Luckily she caused enough of a direct negative impact on the TV industry to allow this to be discussed:

[list]
[*]She pursued a full enquiry into the privatisation of Channel 4, costing the taxpayer at least £2 million and forcing great expense on C4 to defend its own position, diverting money away from programme making while the channel and industry was still recovering from Covid. She continued to personally pursue privatisation despite 96% of respondents to the initial consultation disagreeing with the privatisation plans and overwhelming initial evidence that it would have a sizeable negative impact on the wider industry. All this (allegedly) because C4 News replaced the no-show prime minister at a climate debate with a melting ice sculpture. 
[*]At a Select Committee she accused C4 and Love Productions of hiring actors to appear with her in the documentary series Tower Block of Commons forcing them to conduct a thorough review using external lawyers, sifting through hours of rushes and recontacting the contributors she interacted with from 12 years ago; again at C4's expense. Unsurprisingly it found there was absolutely no evidence for her claims. The House of Commons culture select committee also found her claims weren't credible and she may now be blocked from becoming a member of the House of Lords.
[*]She announced on a whim that the License Fee would be scrapped after 2027 despite the government itself saying no plan had been decided on for the future funding model (which remains the case).
[*]She suggested she was going to pursue legislation that would limit free speech by 'holding to account' streaming services for airing offensive jokes in the wake of Jimmy Carr's stand up special; though to be honest I don't think even she really knew what she meant by that.
[/list]

That's just TV, of course there's plenty of other examples of her mismanagement and mistakes, from believing she had authority over council-run tennis "pitches" to personally awarding Grade II listed status to a plaque dedicated to an architect of Apartheid, but that's for discussion elsewhere.

Considering she was only in the role for a year it's quite an astonishingly bad track record. I think her only achievement, if you can even call it that, was forcing national museums to stick a sign near the front door saying it was funded by the UK government, and I'm not even sure that's actually happening. She's certainly, by quite some margin, the worst culture secretary I can think of. 

I wonder if she'll manage to be at Talk TV longer than she managed as culture secretary.

RE: Talk TV - JMT1985 - 29-01-2023

Nadine Dorries is also the minister who had no idea how Channel 4 was funded.

How can you be the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, and not know that Channel 4 receives not a penny of licence fee money or any public money - it is entirely self funded.

How could she not know this? She embarrassed herself at that committee when it was pointed out to her that Channel 4 is entirely commercially self funded.

It seems she didn't know (or want to know) that a "public service broadcaster" can be entirely commercially funded, such as ITV and Channel 4 are, even Channel 5 to a lesser degree. All three are not funded by government money

It is this lack of understanding, that questions her ability to host a proper political TV show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve63pA573ZA 

RE: Talk TV - gottago - 29-01-2023

(29-01-2023, 05:32 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  It seems she didn't know (or want to know) that a "public service broadcaster" can be entirely commercially funded, such as ITV and Channel 4 are, even Channel 5 to a lesser degree. All three are not funded by government money

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that time she thought C5 was previously publicly funded and then successfully privatised.

RE: Talk TV - JMT1985 - 29-01-2023

(29-01-2023, 07:04 PM)gottago Wrote:  
(29-01-2023, 05:32 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  It seems she didn't know (or want to know) that a "public service broadcaster" can be entirely commercially funded, such as ITV and Channel 4 are, even Channel 5 to a lesser degree. All three are not funded by government money

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that time she thought C5 was previously publicly funded and then successfully privatised.

When I said "lesser degree" about Channel 5, I meant that channel spends the bare minimum on public service broadcasting compared to ITV and Channel 4.

gottago - gottago - 29-01-2023

(29-01-2023, 07:34 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  
(29-01-2023, 07:04 PM)gottago Wrote:  Oh yes, I'd forgotten that time she thought C5 was previously publicly funded and then successfully privatised.

When I said "lesser degree" about Channel 5, I meant that channel spends the bare minimum on public service broadcasting compared to ITV and Channel 4.

No I mean she literally said in an interview that C5 had previously been in public ownership and had then been privatised, which of course never happened. 

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20103410.nadine-dorries-channel-5-gaffe-shows-ignorance-brief/