Pres Café
Talk TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Talk TV (/showthread.php?tid=43)

RE: Talk TV - KrazyKei - 06-07-2023

(05-07-2023, 11:18 PM)thomalex Wrote:  It does seem like it's all falling apart doesn't it. Tom Newton Dunn on extended leave for a HR incident, Erron Gordon leaving, editors like Kate McCann moving elsewhere...

I think you're right that moving back to TalkRadio which seemed to be doing reasonably OK with an online stream seems the best way to go, it's most of the current schedule anyway, and lose the expensive TV productions in the evening. I would also more closely align with The Sun. It could be hosted on their site providing interviews, exclusives etc for the paper and while making use The Sun's journalists on the radio similar to the relationship Times Radio has with The Times. Morgan can still do his exclusive interviews once in a while, they'd just be accessed via The Sun's website rather than a TV channel.

Again, I would think that if a Murdoch TV channel would succeed, I would look more closely at The Times rather than The Sun. The Times is more distinguished as a media brand compared to The Sun with a different range of columnists and views not just on the radio channel but in the newspaper as well. It's more distinguished than Talk as well as potential viewers would relate more to an established brand such as a 238 year old newspaper than a radio brand that has failed to adapt to TV.

RE: Talk TV - London Lite - 06-07-2023

As others have mentioned, the Talk brand was perfectly fine as it was with radio shows simulcast using YouTube and online apps. Trying to fuse what is a growing station with made for tv shows in the evening was always going to be a hard sell.

GB News on the other hand has been slightly better at fusing radio and tv together because the output feels like it's radio on tv editorially without having to fill airtime with phone-ins.

If Murdoch was to use The Times brand for a tv channel, don't fuse it with Times Radio. Provide bespoke programming using the radio and newspaper talent, but don't just stick a tv camera in the radio studio as a lazy way of providing off-peak programming.

RE: Talk TV - JMT1985 - 06-07-2023

The question is, what will happen to Piers Morgan? As mentioned above, his contract looks very tight and I am sure Murdoch doesn't want to the publicity of axing his show and then force to pay him off by the end of 2023.

Will Piers move his show to Fox News?

RE: Talk TV - LargelyALurker - 06-07-2023

Could they have a Piers Morgan TV show that runs on YouTube, promoted by the Sun and TalkRadio? I’m sure they’re not going to keep TalkTV going just to keep Piers busy.

Perhaps the low ratings and profile mean a negotiated end to the TV show would work for both parties?

RE: Talk TV - Brekkie - 06-07-2023

(05-07-2023, 11:25 PM)lepeterrr Wrote:  So reportedly Morgans contract is 'water-tight' would this mean that contractually he would still do his show into 2024?
He'd just be paid out.  

Have to wonder if not going all in with a full TV channel schedule is there downfall, or is it just too upmarket for their target audience who prefer the dumbed down idiocy of GB News.

RE: Talk TV - all new phil - 06-07-2023

(06-07-2023, 12:42 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Have to wonder if not going all in with a full TV channel schedule is their downfall, or is it just too upmarket for their target audience who prefer the dumbed down idiocy of GB News.

Not sure not having a full daytime schedule would have such an impact on evening viewing figures, but I think they’ve suffered through not diversifying the schedule enough. JK whinging a bit, followed by Piers whinging a bit in the same set, followed by five more people whinging a bit still in the same set. A more rounded schedule bringing in programming from The Times and Talk Sport might have worked out better, rather than going all in on ‘heated debates’.

RE: Talk TV - bilky asko - 06-07-2023

(06-07-2023, 12:42 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  He'd just be paid out.  

Have to wonder if not going all in with a full TV channel schedule is there downfall, or is it just too upmarket for their target audience who prefer the dumbed down idiocy of GB News.

Upmarket?!

RE: Talk TV - Jon - 06-07-2023

I actually think running radio station as the TV channel is the way to go for Talk and brand it as Talk News. Just move the radio shows to the current Piers Morgan set and treat like an extra way to watch the radio output. If they decide to keep the radio station which is a big IF it seems the running costs to make it available visually would be small compared to the overall cost of the output.

The whole Talk approach has been too much of a mismatch.

RE: Talk TV - telleyhead - 06-07-2023

(06-07-2023, 02:53 PM)Jon Wrote:  I actually think running radio station as the TV channel is the way to go for Talk and brand it as Talk News. Just move the radio shows to the current Piers Morgan set and treat like an extra way to watch the radio output. If they decide to keep the radio station which is a big IF it seems the running costs to make it available visually would be small compared to the overall cost of the output.

The whole Talk approach has been too much of a mismatch.

An internal meeting was held today. No closure, no plans to close "ignore the noise"—plans for a full weekday TV schedule 6am-11pm within months.

RE: Talk TV - London Lite - 06-07-2023

Another factor is I think the bad presentation and production on GBN has helped them build themselves as the anti MSM/renegade channel, but with the hiring of Erron Gordon from TalkTV, it should balance the dodgy editorial with half decent sets.

As for the news from our insider at Talk, I'd like to hope they split radio and TV, which would allow the radio station to continue the "GB News on the radio" format while transforming the tv channel into something a tad more bearable.