Pres Café
Talk TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Talk TV (/showthread.php?tid=43)

RE: Talk TV - GlasgowCruiser - 13-07-2023

I definitely have a feeling that they are trying to phase Vanessa out now she's had long enough to prove herself on the network. She probably costs a fair amount of money to have 5 days a week, and despite that, she hasn't connected with/appealed to the main TalkTV audience so doesn't get enough viewers/listeners (might have brought a few prior fans with her from the BBC but likely not enough). That's pretty much a lose-lose situation for TPTB and makes it pointless keeping her. I'd bet she'll be out when her contract is up.

I don't think it's just in terms of her output - her personality is quite different to a lot of the other presenters, I'd say she's quite fluffy in her style with the "lovely listeners, vibrant viewers" schtick. The drive show is better with virtually any other presenter who has covered - including other more neutral types like Daisy McAndrew, Petrie Hosken and previously Rob Rinder. None of them seemed as out of place as Vanessa.

RE: Talk TV - AndyB2008 - 13-07-2023

(13-07-2023, 07:14 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Just when you think things couldn't get any more vile!

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/jul/13/parents-in-huw-edwards-case-offered-tens-of-thousands-for-talktv-interview 

There was meant to be a TalkTV special replacing The Talk tonight (possibly the interview) but that was pulled at the 11th hour and The Talk airs instead.

BBC1 don't seem to be airing Question Time nor Newscast tonight, replacing them with the 2015 film Brooklyn.

RE: Talk TV - Jon - 13-07-2023

Has Question Time finished for summer? It’s not scheduled for next week either.

RE: Talk TV - London Lite - 13-07-2023

So as one Murdoch outlet backs off, News UK are allowing another to produce a three part documentary featuring the parents.

This is the problem with tabloid media is they don't know when to back off.

RE: Talk TV - AndyB2008 - 13-07-2023

(13-07-2023, 09:47 PM)Jon Wrote:  Has Question Time finished for summer? It’s not scheduled for next week either.

Could be why as MP's are due to go on recess soon. Hence why BBC Parliament shuts down too and takes the News Channel feed.

RE: Talk TV - Neil Jones - 13-07-2023

(13-07-2023, 09:50 PM)AndyB2008 Wrote:  Could be why as MP's are due to go on recess soon. Hence why BBC Parliament shuts down too and takes the News Channel feed.

I've never quite understood why Parliamentary breaks are called Recess. That's always been to my mind American school break time. Of course if something major happens Parliament will soon get recalled, but that's another discussion.

Re: BBC Parliament, it lost something like 98% of all its funding a couple of years ago so they literally have no budget to run anything on it besides live parliament coverage and recent recorded footage from the houses/committee rooms. In years gone by the whole six week recess period would have been filled with archive recordings, including the odd general election and some other filler. Now they have no money to do any of that so that's why they simulcast the news channel. It's the budget that decided BBC Parliament disappears into thin air when Parliament itself goes into recess, not the fact that they've gone into recess.

Question Time has pretty much always had a summer break, far as I know. If you go back far enough it used to be as wide as June-November. The last summer episode seems to be the first Thursday in July, and has been the case since 2000 from what I can work out.

RE: Talk TV - news junkie - 14-07-2023

(13-07-2023, 10:14 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I've never quite understood why Parliamentary breaks are called Recess.  That's always been to my mind American school break time.  Of course if something major happens Parliament will soon get recalled, but that's another discussion.
Apparently it’s called recess as officially it isn’t a holiday as although Parliament doesn’t sit and debate during these times, MPs are expected to go back to the constituency and deal with local matters. Perhaps recess from Latin meaning retreat, not American* meaning snack time. 

*I know American isn’t a language

RE: Talk TV - bilky asko - 14-07-2023

(14-07-2023, 05:08 PM)news junkie Wrote:  Apparently it’s called recess as officially it isn’t a holiday as although Parliament doesn’t sit and debate during these times, MPs are expected to go back to the constituency and deal with local matters. Perhaps recess from Latin meaning retreat, not American* meaning snack time. 

*I know American isn’t a language

Indeed, the first quote in the OED for that usage of the word "recess" is from 1620, with the House of Commons asking the House of Lords about the recess times.

The American usage was developed from this usage.

RE: Talk TV - lepeterrr - 14-07-2023

Assuming from this video that Kevins new show is coming from the TV Studio. Presumably Step 1 of building out the TV Schedule.
Albeit the branding is for Nadines show!
https://twitter.com/TVKev/status/1679862532041744385 

RE: Talk TV - radiorebel - 14-07-2023

Speaking of, Friday Night with Nadine dropped again with no explanation. This channel seems so unprofessional on a Friday.