Pres Café
Talk TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Talk TV (/showthread.php?tid=43)

RE: Talk TV - Alf Stewart - 15-09-2023

(15-09-2023, 07:58 PM)derek500 Wrote:  "More"?   Are you referring to BBC Breakfast and Sky News, as you don't really get that with Eamonn and Isabel or Stephen and Anne on GB News.

More like GMB. Not seen any culture wars on Breakfast or Sky.

Seems to be GMB's bread and butter now.

RE: Talk TV - London Lite - 15-09-2023

(15-09-2023, 07:58 PM)derek500 Wrote:  "More"?   Are you referring to BBC Breakfast and Sky News, as you don't really get that with Eamonn and Isabel or Stephen and Anne on GB News.

I wondered what happened to Comical Ali after the Gulf War.

RE: Talk TV - KrazyKei - 16-09-2023

I have to say that this is desperate times for TalkTV. As someone said, give it until after the election and it will be gone. I still think they should revert it back to radio and let the Times to take over the TV channel.

Some of the talent at Times Radio are well suited for TV so I don't see why News UK should not pursue this.

RE: Talk TV - JMT1985 - 16-09-2023

Does anyone feel that this country doesn't want opinion led "news" channels? This is not the US, where every news channel has to be biased one way

Talk TV and GB News really try to be Fox News here, but it simply isn't working - we don't want opinions all day, or debates about things that either have no importance or debates which simply turn into shouting matches.

I feel it will get to the general election, both channels will start to fall even further in the ratings with Talk TV failing first.

RE: Talk TV - KrazyKei - 16-09-2023

It's interesting where I am reading a lot of people comparing GB News to Fox News. Personally, I would compare it Newsmax. Even then, I would not compare TalkTV to Fox News because TalkTV is not a news channel and never intended to be. Not to mention that quite a few of the presenters are more centrist or even the left than Fox News presenters.

RE: Talk TV - JMT1985 - 16-09-2023

(16-09-2023, 07:38 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  It's interesting where I am reading a lot of people comparing GB News to Fox News. Personally, I would compare it Newsmax. Even then, I would not compare TalkTV to Fox News because TalkTV is not a news channel and never intended to be. Not to mention that quite a few of the presenters are more centrist or even the left than Fox News presenters.

Look at Talk TV style of presentation, it has a Fox News feel to it, and certainly Piers Morgan at 8pm was designed to be a version of Tucker Carson (before he was fired) here in the UK - problem for Talk TV is they don't know if they are a TV channel or radio station. 

GB News is certainly taking a lot from Fox News, just look at how they prep their debates with an unbalanced panel - usually centre right host, a right wing person, a centre right person and then their token "lefty" as they had been called, not very fair and balanced, especially on the 9pm Mon to Thur show, the host I will not name on here.

RE: Talk TV - all new phil - 16-09-2023

(16-09-2023, 07:26 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Does anyone feel that this country doesn't want opinion led "news" channels? This is not the US, where every news channel has to be biased one way

Talk TV and GB News really try to be Fox News here, but it simply isn't working - we don't want opinions all day, or debates about things that either have no importance or debates which simply turn into shouting matches.

I feel it will get to the general election, both channels will start to fall even further in the ratings with Talk TV failing first.

Whilst I pretty much agree with the general point you’re making, by your logic, people mustn’t want straight news either given Sky is often beaten by GB News in the ratings.

RE: Talk TV - mouseboy33 - 16-09-2023

Hilarious. So many said that this opinionated "FNC-esque-type" stuff wouldnt be allowed on telly there. Yet there it is and here its merits are being discussed. Many said it wouldnt happen. But these channels are barely skirting the OFCOM regs. Yet here we are. Just saying.....

RE: Talk TV - JMT1985 - 17-09-2023

Ofcom is 100% useless - why do we have a regulator anymore? GB News and Talk TV have both done things against their so called rules, but we still see no comeuppance to them - GB News and Talk TV simply ignore Ofcom, do the bare basics that is needed to fulfil the spirit of the Ofcom rules and then they plough ahead with their own agenda.

Ofcom has lost its balls and needs to find them again, to bring proper fair and balanced news and journalism to television, otherwise it is a complete waste of time and money - remember Ofcom receives close to £132 million in funding a year, and for what? A crowd of Sir Humphrey Applebys sitting there doing nothing to guard broadcasting.

RE: Talk TV - KrazyKei - 17-09-2023

(17-09-2023, 01:02 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Ofcom is 100% useless - why do we have a regulator anymore? GB News and Talk TV have both done things against their so called rules, but we still see no comeuppance to them - GB News and Talk TV simply ignore Ofcom, do the bare basics that is needed to fulfil the spirit of the Ofcom rules and then they plough ahead with their own agenda.

Ofcom has lost its balls and needs to find them again, to bring proper fair and balanced news and journalism to television, otherwise it is a complete waste of time and money - remember Ofcom receives close to £132 million in funding a year, and for what? A crowd of Sir Humphrey Applebys sitting there doing nothing to guard broadcasting.

So I'm guessing you want GB News and TalkTV banned? They are not going to change their outlook just because you want your definition of 'fair and balanced'. So it's either:

1 - GB News and TalkTV goes.
2 - OFCOM goes.

By the way, I'm all for news channels with a centre-left/left-wing outlook. So by that instance I think we should be rid of OFCOM.