Pres Café
Talk TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Talk TV (/showthread.php?tid=43)

RE: Talk TV - Stockland Hillman - 17-09-2023

(17-09-2023, 01:02 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Ofcom is 100% useless - why do we have a regulator anymore? GB News and Talk TV have both done things against their so called rules, but we still see no comeuppance to them - GB News and Talk TV simply ignore Ofcom, do the bare basics that is needed to fulfil the spirit of the Ofcom rules and then they plough ahead with their own agenda.

Ofcom has lost its balls and needs to find them again, to bring proper fair and balanced news and journalism to television, otherwise it is a complete waste of time and money - remember Ofcom receives close to £132 million in funding a year, and for what? A crowd of Sir Humphrey Applebys sitting there doing nothing to guard broadcasting.

Ofcom - set up by a Labour government - is a legal body that is obliged to work to judicial standards of evidence and consistency. The fact it doesn't bend to the latest fashion or partisan viewpoint is a GOOD thing. It's designed that way.

The rules are that same as they've always been.  Rules apply to all, equally not just those who you don't like

None of what you say is true. You're even Inconsistent in you're own argument. Maybe you are a victim of misinformation from twitter extremists I don't know

RE: Talk TV - JMT1985 - 17-09-2023

(17-09-2023, 03:27 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  So I'm guessing you want GB News and TalkTV banned? They are not going to change their outlook just because you want your definition of 'fair and balanced'. So it's either:

1 - GB News and TalkTV goes.
2 - OFCOM goes.

By the way, I'm all for news channels with a centre-left/left-wing outlook. So by that instance I think we should be rid of OFCOM.

Did I say banned? No I didn't. Please stop putting words into people's comments which aren't there - We need proper regulation of ALL news/opinion channels on British television, left, right and centre, ALL - it is just GB News and Talk TV seem to stick out like a sore thumb these days.

(17-09-2023, 03:54 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:    
Ofcom - set up by a Labour government - is a legal body that is obliged to work to judicial standards of evidence and consistency. The fact it doesn't bend to the latest fashion or partisan viewpoint is a GOOD thing. It's designed that way.

The rules are that same as they've always been.  Rules apply to all, equally not just those who you don't like

None of what you say is true. You're even Inconsistent in you're own argument. Maybe you are a victim of misinformation from twitter extremists I don't know

I am for a tighter regulator for ALL sides - left, right and centre - instead of the lighter touch regulation we seem to have with OFCOM these days - my opinion, you may disagree, that's your right, I have mine too.

RE: Talk TV - Gary McEwan - 17-09-2023

(17-09-2023, 04:19 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Did I say banned? No I didn't. Please stop putting words into people's comments which aren't there - We need proper regulation of ALL news/opinion channels on British television, left, right and centre, ALL - it is just GB News and Talk TV seem to stick out like a sore thumb these days.

I am for a tighter regulator for ALL sides - left, right and centre - instead of the lighter touch regulation we seem to have with OFCOM these days - my opinion, you may disagree, that's your right, I have mine too.

I would genuinely like to know what tighter regulations you would give OFCOM?  Some might say that they are already tight enough as they are without making them even tighter. 

You'd blow a gasket at how lax some of the Dutch TV channels are given that they circumvent the Dutch regulations by opting for the less restrictive Luxembourg regulations.

RE: Talk TV - London Lite - 17-09-2023

In all honesty, it'll be the marketplace and Murdoch that will decide if TalkTV is no longer viable.

GB News is a different story as it's a more ideologically driven organisation with backers who are willing to lose money as long as they can get their message out there.

(17-09-2023, 04:19 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Did I say banned? No I didn't. Please stop putting words into people's comments which aren't there - We need proper regulation of ALL news/opinion channels on British television, left, right and centre, ALL - it is just GB News and Talk TV seem to stick out like a sore thumb these days.

The regulation is the same, more or less for the whole of Ofcoms life. That's nearly 20 YEARS. What exactly is "these days" other than a fiction of your imagination?

Newer newstalk/news/opinion channels are more a result of lower cost of production and market access than regulatory relaxation.

UK is unusual in the fact the BBC as public broadcaster dominates broadcast and online news, and the biggest commercial broadcast news outlets are also public service licenced. So it's not had a market led news heritage: where channels target an audience with a reflective voice for their interests and agenda. Talk TVs problem is its blend of of opinion hosted by old media names  isn't resonating.

A country where a narrow agenda of discussion and opinions is allowed isn't a democracy. Plurality is a good thing even with opinions you may disagree with, and activist extremists trying to limit this are a danger to an open society.

RE: Talk TV - mouseboy33 - 17-09-2023

(17-09-2023, 06:22 PM)London Lite Wrote:  In all honesty, it'll be the marketplace and Murdoch that will decide if TalkTV is no longer viable.

GB News is a different story as it's a more ideologically driven organisation with backers who are willing to lose money as long as they can get their message out there.

Well everyone said the same thing about FNC. It wont last.... But somehow their "tone" caught on with type of viewer and here we are. Just sayin' Bird in the coalmine.

(17-09-2023, 08:30 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Well everyone said the same thing about FNC. It wont last.... But somehow their "tone" caught on with type of viewer and here we are. Just sayin' Bird in the coalmine.

We've covered this before with you I'm sure, but US broadcasting can't be compared in anyway to UK.

The freedom of speech protections don't exist in the UK,  so there are very extensive regulations on fairness,  accuracy, impartiality and plurality of views on each licenced broadcaster; along with tougher libel laws.

Don't be misled by misinformation or misleading comment on Twitter or frankly here: the requirements of the Broadcasting legal code are fairly strong within the context of a democracy.  They are fully implemented and always, always a major consideration by broadcast content makers.

RE: Talk TV - London Lite - 17-09-2023

(17-09-2023, 08:30 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Well everyone said the same thing about FNC. It wont last.... But somehow their "tone" caught on with type of viewer and here we are. Just sayin' Bird in the coalmine.

It's a completly different market to the UK with a different political structure. The Dems for example aren't as liberal as Labour and the Lib Dems in the UK, while the hard right of the Republican Party continues to wield control, despite their leader continually being charged for various misdemenors which only strengthens their resolve.

So you have two channels in the FNC vein which are fighting for scraps as who they target are tiny in comparison and TalkTV has made no inroads, so is more likely to be given the chop with such small ratings for shows where Morgan is paid decently for what is an hour show on a niche opinion channel. (I know it's a cross News UK brand deal, but the main gig is the tv show).

RE: Talk TV - Gary McEwan - 17-09-2023

(17-09-2023, 10:15 PM)London Lite Wrote:  It's a completly different market to the UK with a different political structure.  The Dems for example aren't as liberal as Labour and the Lib Dems in the UK, while the hard right of the Republican Party continues to wield control, despite their leader continually being charged for various misdemenors which only strengthens their resolve.

So you have two channels in the FNC vein which are fighting for scraps as who they target are tiny in comparison and TalkTV has made no inroads, so is more likely to be given the chop with such small ratings for shows where Morgan is paid decently for what is an hour show on a niche opinion channel. (I know it's a cross News UK brand deal, but the main gig is the tv show).

Happy to be corrected but I'm sure Morgan's show is the only TalkTV show that's shown on Sky News Australia and Fox Nation.

It TalkTV was to get the chop, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up getting some sort of gig at either Fox Nation or Fox News.

RE: Talk TV - Ash101 - 18-09-2023

(17-09-2023, 10:42 PM)Gary McEwan Wrote:  Happy to be corrected but I'm sure Morgan's show is the only TalkTV show that's shown on Sky News Australia and Fox Nation.

It TalkTV was to get the chop, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up getting some sort of gig at either Fox Nation or Fox News.

I'm not sure though, as the Uncensored Show was basically forced upon Sky News Australia & Fox, it's hardly like they chose to take it. Indeed Fox even decided it wasn't good enough for their actual channels so it's only available on demand.

I know Piers has helped Fox News for coverage of Royal Events, but I think that is purely to gets someone with a British POV? I don't think he'd ever take on a show for the actual channel? He more or less ruined his US career by sticking to certain views over on CNN.