Pres Café
Talk TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Talk TV (/showthread.php?tid=43)

RE: Talk TV - Luc - 08-02-2024

The inevitable destination for Piers late stage career. Full blown YouTuber and social media provocateur.

I don't see why everyone is assuming end of Talk TV? Presumably he'll still be within News UK/News Corp and they might have a best of compilation in the linear schedule? either that or they'll stick another of their right wing talking heads in there and see the same ratings and ad revenue.

RE: Talk TV - Stooky Bill - 08-02-2024

Linear TV is far from dead. I know the emphasis and hype is on 'digital' but the majority of the population still watch linear TV. The last 5 weeks in particular have been a triumph for traditional TV.

I don't think Talk TV will be going anywhere soon. I would have thought ditching Piers will extend its life if anything, a massive cost saving depending on his pay off. I saw the clip of them announcing the news about the King on Monday and thought how slick and professional it looked, there's been a lot of investment. They won't suddenly write that off

If it does cease then the interesting thing will be what local TV does. Though I wild have thought that if it regresses back to its radio roots there will still be a video version.

RE: Talk TV - Juicy Joe - 08-02-2024

I did prefer the black, white, red and grey graphics of the Talk Radio days - seemed to be more edgy to me. That said, I hope the TV channel continues, it is fresh to hear alternative views and opinionated presenters to the mainstream news channels.

RE: Talk TV - Stooky Bill - 08-02-2024

(08-02-2024, 11:28 PM)Luc Wrote:  The inevitable destination for Piers late stage career. Full blown YouTuber and social media provocateur.

I don't see why everyone is assuming end of Talk TV? Presumably he'll still be within News UK/News Corp and they might have a best of compilation in the linear schedule? either that or they'll stick another of their right wing talking heads in there and see the same ratings and ad revenue.
Not sure he will be remaining with the company, we will see.

Thing with him becoming purely a YouTuber or any social media is that it's a big playing field full of lots of well established players. TV is a smaller pond, he'll be far less profile off it.

I wonder if the recent raking up of his phone hacking allegations from his Mirror days has anything to do with it? Not a good look for News Ltd who've been trying to distance themselves from that for over a decade.

RE: Talk TV - GlasgowCruiser - 09-02-2024

They're totally closing down shop if Piers is no longer going to be on TV. He was their 'star' and the rest of the lineup was really just filler to make it appear to be a TV channel. I had a feeling that this would happen around the 2 year mark, and wouldn't be surprised to see TalkRadio back in it's old form by the summer.

RE: Talk TV - Stockland Hillman - 09-02-2024

(08-02-2024, 11:15 PM)Globaltraffic24 Wrote:  Piers is correct - linear TV isn’t dying. It’s dead. We’re just all artificially holding it up, pretending it’s still a thing. Some weird repurposing of News UK content on radio and online might be its saving grace and then, technically, it will outlive GBN, which I can guarantee will be something we talk about in the past tense sooner than you think.

Except that's nonsense, linear TV itself isn't dead. It still generates significant live event audiences and - the bit the commentators miss off - linear TV still reaches the mass majority: the difference is they are more selective of what AND when they watch video content. So TV can't schedule a mediocre mid budget drama, lame sitcom, cheap game show and lazy 'real people' police/GP/hospital/pet rescue/home makeover and generate significant audinces and revenue.

8 out 10 Netflix on main screen households view a linear channel content everyday.

Sure it's a storm, but it's not just use of TV broadcasting in traditional way. Advertising has better results targeted, and is prepared to pay for it, so budgets shift, less to spend on content; content suffers from lower budgets and a drift in appeal as programme makers cultural values move far from the audinces (see Ofcom BBC audince satisfaction comments, particularly C2DE audinces)

The 45+ audince that is a News/Talk channels core audience are still substantial linear consumers. They have go-to channels they watch when not self selecting VOD

Fastest growing segment in video worldwide are FAST channels, becouse audinces don't want endless choosing. They want a lean back experience akin to traditional TV, so it's impossible to say the linear consumption habit is dead, its just not delivering what's wanted.

Would Piers be talking such self serving nonsense if his home channel had overtaken Sky News ? If he regularly matched Farage ratings on GBN? No, I don't think so.

Most telling comment from Morgan is the claim the IP to Piers Morgan Uncensored is joiniy owned by News and Piers himself.

It's election year in the US, .with massive media spend, so I'd suggest things more about jumping on that bandwagon for Piers as face saving spin on an exit from News Corp - where his contract was up soon anyway.

RE: Talk TV - radiorebel - 09-02-2024

Does the show still air internationally? On Fox News & Sky News Australia? If so I take it this affects them too?

RE: Talk TV - XIII - 09-02-2024

How is Piers going to fund his own YouTube channel, it's not cheap.

Doesn't Piers still have a year left on his contract with News Corp?

RE: Talk TV - TMD_24 - 09-02-2024

I'm probably going to against majority but the move to YouTube is actually a good move. His viewing is pretty good on there and his reach is going to be bigger. He's got a decent base to grow further.

RE: Talk TV - cando - 09-02-2024

(09-02-2024, 02:00 AM)XIII Wrote:  How is Piers going to fund his own YouTube channel, it's not cheap.

Doesn't Piers still have a year left on his contract with News Corp?

According to The Times he remains at News Corp and they own the brand.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/64441572-2bc0-4245-87a1-bdab532477e7?shareToken=2e2c6738ee8100b2d526f15ce9c06723 

I suspect it'll be earlier in the day and be 2-3 hours long like Joe Rogan etc. Tedious culture wars for 2 hours