Pres Café
Talk TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Talk TV (/showthread.php?tid=43)

RE: Talk TV - cando - 09-02-2024

(08-02-2024, 11:15 PM)Globaltraffic24 Wrote:  Piers is correct - linear TV isn’t dying. It’s dead. We’re just all artificially holding it up, pretending it’s still a thing.

The last month has proven the opposite. Desperate spin from Piers who flopped with a current affairs show on C4 with Amanda Platell and flopped harder on CNN.

News channels have never had anywhere near the reach in the UK than they have in the US. ITV shut theirs down long before streaming as there has never been huge demand unless there is huge breaking news.

I very much doubt TalkTV will be around in a year. What is the point?
At least GB News has a small but loyal audience and now a digital strategy.

RE: Talk TV - Brekkie - 09-02-2024

I think avoiding OFCOM regulation is also a key motivation, especially on impartiality in election year. Does feel like no coincidence it happened the day after he said what he did though, which kind of felt like his own Clarkson moment.

I assume if TalkTV withdrew from linear it would still effectively continue on streaming with a visual simulcast of Talk Radio.

RE: Talk TV - Keith - 09-02-2024

(08-02-2024, 11:10 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  Makes you think TalkTV is on the way out, but from this evening’s PopBitch email:

“Rebekah Brooks and Angelos Frangopoulos (head honchos at TalkTV and GB News) have apparently tabled a pact not to attack each's others stations in the run-up to the next election.”
I seem to recall reading that Murdock had been trying to purchase GB News. Not attacking each other's stations would be a wise move if there's was the potential of one buying the other sometime in the future.

(08-02-2024, 11:44 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I don't think Talk TV will be going anywhere soon. I would have thought ditching Piers will extend its life if anything, a massive cost saving depending on his pay off. I saw the clip of them announcing the news about the King on Monday and thought how slick and professional it looked, there's been a lot of investment. They won't suddenly write that off

If it does cease then the interesting thing will be what local TV does. Though I wild have thought that if it regresses back to its radio roots there will still be a video version.
It's worth noting that Piers is probably a bit tainted from a recent judgement regarding The Mirror. Were the police to follow calls to reinvestigate it then things could potentially get rather sticky for Piers, and I imagine Talk TV's owners (News UK) might be keen to distance themselves from such allegations.

The local TV simulcasts are an interesting one. I imagine that if Talk TV were to close then GB News might take an interest in picking up the local TV simulcasts, if only for having visibility on a higher channel number.

Talk TV does have the advantage though of not having the word 'News' in its channel name. This makes it easier to retool the channel with a strapline of "TV that gets you talking", showing non-news programming for large parts of the day.

RE: Talk TV - Juicy Joe - 09-02-2024

Or is Piers Morgan Uncensored going to continue on TalkTV with a repeat of what's already gone out on YouTube earlier in the day at 8pm, followed by another repeat at 11pm? This doesn't seem like future thinking to me? This is the ideal chance to broadcast some of the phone in shows from Petrie Hoskin & Andre Walker (maybe James Whale but I doubt it) from the start at 11pm, rather than cutting half way through at midnight.

RE: Talk TV - Juicy Joe - 09-02-2024

The Talk.tv address goes straight to the Virgin Radio UK website?

RE: Talk TV - Stockland Hillman - 09-02-2024

(09-02-2024, 02:13 AM)TMD_24 Wrote:  I'm probably going to against majority but the move to YouTube is actually a good move. His viewing is pretty good on there and his reach is going to be bigger. He's got a decent base to grow further.

Guido Fawkes has an interesting point:
"To get those short clips he needs an expensive hour long show from which to extract a short “money shot” that might go viral. The fact of the matter is that the economics of YouTube won’t support the show budgets he is used to working with. YouTube pays between $1 to $10 per thousand views. Ali Abdaal, one of the most successful British YouTubers with 5 million subscribers, says last year he made $596,460 averaging at about $8 per thousand views. Which would mean Piers could look to make from his most successful interview ever some $48,000. Not enough to cover the costs of production for that interview alone"

Solid explanation on the economics. With traditional linear media you get a foundation to produce content, revenue from radio reach, traditional TV reach, linear TV via IP that gets higher £/$ per audience AND those viral clips to earn from social platforms.

Talk TV/Radio would bring in around $4 per thousand, TV $3 ish ($ used to help comparison). That's a solid foundation that pays to make the content that 99% of the time isn’t not a viral hit.

I never understand media people who dis traditional broadcasting. Its an additive environment, online allows additional scale and viability for things you make, it's just dumb to chase online 'digital' only content because 1 in 100 things you do gets thousands time more reach than boring old linear. Like a cat chasing a laser pointer - it looks exciting but it's not really there. [See also BBC News execs, for same illiterate logic]

https://order-order.com/2024/02/09/murdoch-sacks-morgan-youtube-channel-spin-doesnt-add-up/ 

RE: Talk TV - cando - 09-02-2024

(09-02-2024, 12:54 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Like a cat chasing a laser pointer - it looks exciting but it's not really there. [See also BBC News execs, for same illiterate logic]

https://order-order.com/2024/02/09/murdoch-sacks-morgan-youtube-channel-spin-doesnt-add-up/ 

BBC NC , SKY News, GB News and Talk tv have a total share of about 2.5% of the total UK tv audience every month. The audience is just not there.

The fact that the BBC News channels merger made zilch difference in ratings justify the BBC News execs decision.

The BBC'S news website reaches nearly 80% of the population who uses the internet every month. Anyone sane would clearly prioritise their website.

The bottom line is that the audience for News channels have always been limited in the UK and it's clearly not going to change.

RE: Talk TV - lookoutwales - 09-02-2024

(09-02-2024, 10:26 AM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Or is Piers Morgan Uncensored going to continue on TalkTV with a repeat of what's already gone out on YouTube earlier in the day at 8pm, followed by another repeat at 11pm? This doesn't seem like future thinking to me? This is the ideal chance to broadcast some of the phone in shows from Petrie Hoskin & Andre Walker (maybe James Whale but I doubt it) from the start at 11pm, rather than cutting half way through at midnight.

Mike Graham's moving up to 8pm from Monday, according to Press Gazette.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/publishers/broadcast/piers-morgan-talktv/ 

RE: Talk TV - XIII - 09-02-2024

It'd be much cheaper if Piers did a podcast instead of becoming a YouTuber.

YouTube can be lucrative but Piers will have to take a massive pay cut in order to make the numbers work.

RE: Talk TV - Spencer - 09-02-2024

(09-02-2024, 02:30 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Mike Graham's moving up to 8pm from Monday, according to Press Gazette.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/publishers/broadcast/piers-morgan-talktv/ 

But is that a concrete source?