Pres Café
Talk TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Talk TV (/showthread.php?tid=43)

RE: Talk TV - PERMOTIO - 09-02-2024

It certainly doesn’t look good for the channel.

And as a previous poster raised, the fact the talk.tv site is pushing to Virgin Radio is another sign the writing’s on the wall.

https://x.com/mediaguido/status/1755921424076738692?s=46 

RE: Talk TV - Stooky Bill - 09-02-2024

(09-02-2024, 10:26 AM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Or is Piers Morgan Uncensored going to continue on TalkTV with a repeat of what's already gone out on YouTube earlier in the day at 8pm, followed by another repeat at 11pm
No he's done on Talk TV. The YouTube role is an occasional semi regular thing rather than a regular show. Sounds like they will have the option to have clips from those broadcast on the TV/radio outlets.

How good they'll be remains to be seen, his online content was derived from his TV show. Will he and what's left of his team be getting the same standard of guests and content for YouTube?

It's fairly obvious that this he's being sent off to be 'countryside correspondent' (if you're old enough to get that reference) until the end of his contract.

With his name cropping up in the news again this afternoon I wonder how much that was a factor in his firing. I wonder if the Sunak interview on Monday was a last chance to save him?

RE: Talk TV - qwerty123 - 09-02-2024

(09-02-2024, 12:54 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Guido Fawkes has an interesting point:
"To get those short clips he needs an expensive hour long show from which to extract a short “money shot” that might go viral. The fact of the matter is that the economics of YouTube won’t support the show budgets he is used to working with. YouTube pays between $1 to $10 per thousand views. Ali Abdaal, one of the most successful British YouTubers with 5 million subscribers, says last year he made $596,460 averaging at about $8 per thousand views. Which would mean Piers could look to make from his most successful interview ever some $48,000. Not enough to cover the costs of production for that interview alone"

Solid explanation on the economics. With traditional linear media you get a foundation to produce content, revenue from radio reach, traditional TV reach, linear TV via IP that gets higher £/$ per audience AND those viral clips to earn from social platforms.

Talk TV/Radio would bring in around $4 per thousand, TV $3 ish ($ used to help comparison). That's a solid foundation that pays to make the content that 99% of the time isn’t not a viral hit.

I never understand media people who dis traditional broadcasting. Its an additive environment, online allows additional scale and viability for things you make, it's just dumb to chase online 'digital' only content because 1 in 100 things you do gets thousands time more reach than boring old linear. Like a cat chasing a laser pointer - it looks exciting but it's not really there. [See also BBC News execs, for same illiterate logic]

https://order-order.com/2024/02/09/murdoch-sacks-morgan-youtube-channel-spin-doesnt-add-up/ 

Whilst it is hard to see him getting the levels of funding that he is used to I’m not sure typical revenues for YouTube are particularly relevant in this case due to his reputation and following (in both negative and positive ways).
For a start it is likely that much of his more controversial content will end up demonetised (meaning he earns essentially nothing from YouTube advertising on those videos) and even his less controversial content is going to be less appealing to many advertisers meaning he will have a lower CPM than typical. On the other hand his viewership is likely to be older and less tech savvy than a typical YouTube audience so he is likely to have a higher proportion of his views monetised (less adblockers) and his audience may well be more willing to contribute towards paid for membership which is another lucrative income source for those posting on YouTube.
However the biggest omission is that YouTube creators are allowed to source their own sponsorship for videos on top of what YouTube pays and in many cases this provides the bulk of the income rather than the ads placed by YouTube.

RE: Talk TV - London Lite - 09-02-2024

Talk.TV is back to the normal website rather than Virgin Radio.

RE: Talk TV - AndyB2008 - 09-02-2024

(09-02-2024, 02:30 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Mike Graham's moving up to 8pm from Monday, according to Press Gazette.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/publishers/broadcast/piers-morgan-talktv/ 

Yep, the EPG has updated for Monday.

Mike Graham from 8pm-10pm (so no extra hour), then a repeat of The Talk at 10pm and a repeat of Rosanna Lockwood's show at 11pm (so no full 2 hours of Petrie).

The simulcast from midnight of Petrie Hosken's show stays the same.

Means the end of that weekday 10pm hour being live, going back to Daisy McAndrew's show at launch.

RE: Talk TV - eyeTV - 09-02-2024

You have to wonder if it does continue if they will close down the TV studio and go back to televised radio shows.

I don't think there is enough of an uplift in viewers to run the TV studio which originally only existed for the Piers show anyway.

RE: Talk TV - lepeterrr - 09-02-2024

(09-02-2024, 06:26 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  You have to wonder if it does continue if they will close down the TV studio and go back to televised radio shows.

I don't think there is enough of an uplift in viewers to run the TV studio which originally only existed for the Piers show anyway.
From what I understand, all the cameras in the studios are now automated (Except the JIB) so I'm not sure how much more it costs now to run the TV studio compared to the Radio studio.

RE: Talk TV - alfiejmulcahy - 09-02-2024

(08-02-2024, 10:35 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Looks like its near the end for Talk TV: "Creating professional quality, TV-like video that does well digitally – via streaming services and social media – will be the focus of future investment for all our brands, including Talk,” News UK broadcasting chief Scott Taunton said in a statement."

How sustainable will be paying for TV production of what essentially would be linear radio shows without 'investment' ie costs is debatable

Perhaps retooling the linear channel to be a News Grouo showcase of cross platform content is a sensible halfway point, with Evans and the music sessions from Virgin, talk sport shows, Times Radio shows, best of online assets like Uncensored and talk tv as the sustaining feed

Who'd have bet GBN would outlive TalkTV [potentially]

I seem to recall Chris Evans talking about them installing new TV cameras in his studio a few weeks back.

RE: Talk TV - Stooky Bill - 09-02-2024

If the channel was closing, then it would have today. I really can't see that it's currently what's being considered, it's too involved just to shut it down - from the recent local TV deal to the newish studio setups.

Piers' axing will/should strengthen the channel, a massive cost saving once his contract ends and potentially a bigger audience for his old slot. Assuming Mike Concrete does that, and I think he could well do that

RE: Talk TV - Juicy Joe - 09-02-2024

(09-02-2024, 05:59 PM)AndyB2008 Wrote:  Yep, the EPG has updated for Monday.

Mike Graham from 8pm-10pm (so no extra hour), then a repeat of The Talk at 10pm and a repeat of Rosanna Lockwood's show at 11pm (so no full 2 hours of Petrie).

The simulcast from midnight of Petrie Hosken's show stays the same.

Means the end of that weekday 10pm hour being live, going back to Daisy McAndrew's show at launch.

2 repeats after 10pm? Andre Walker's phone in show that was on over Xmas at 10pm every night was pretty good. I thought they would put some new programmes on or maybe this is a temporary measure. Talk.tv redirected to the Virgin Radio UK website for only a short time this morning, but it was strange this happened.