Pres Café
Talk TV - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Talk TV (/showthread.php?tid=43)

RE: Talk TV - Fish92 - 12-02-2024

Wasn't TalkRadio widely deemed a commericial success before the TV channel launch and rebrand? It was able to do what most fledgling media brands can't; find a reasonably sized audience that it justified it's existence to management?

Surely the most likely scenario is it gets massively scaled back to the lean operation it used to be? A radio station with D-list talking heads for people who's politics broadly fall on the opposite side of the coin to LBC? I doubt there's going to be any grand re-tooling, just reverting back to what worked.

"The Sun TV" rumours are interesting, but I can't imagine likely. If NewsUK giving TalkTV endless amounts of advertising space in The Sun didn't turn it's fortunes, they can't seriously think slapping on the brand name would... right?

RE: Talk TV - JMT1985 - 12-02-2024

If Murdoch had have kept to his own original thought, and not launched a competitor to GB News, then they wouldn't be in this mess.

Also, I am surprised at the Murdoch machine, they were renowned for launching ideas first, before their competitors - we all knew Andrew Neil had plans to launch GB News around early 2020, surely the Murdoch machine could have swung into action and launched a proper channel which would have taken that limited audience GB News now has.

Poor management from the Murdoch empire it seems - remember when Sky TV launched first in 1989 before British Satellite Broadcasting who finally launched in 1990 and then lost, as Sky took them over - and then in 1999 with On Digital, when Sky rushed on their Sky Digital service before On Digital and took the market first

RE: Talk TV - Stooky Bill - 12-02-2024

(12-02-2024, 12:46 PM)Fish92 Wrote:  Wasn't TalkRadio widely deemed a commericial success before the TV channel launch and rebrand? It was able to do what most fledgling media brands can't; find a reasonably sized audience that it justified it's existence to management?
No it wasn't doing very well and never had. It launched as a mishmash of newstalk and entertainment based programmes. Jon Holmes, Jake Yapp, Bob Mills and Iain Lee all had shows on the station, Jakes and Jon's were pure comedy.

Then it gradually shifted and refocused itself into the news and opinion format it is now. It gradually increased audience but didn't exactly do wonders.

Part of the issue with it was that it was one of the launch station on the 2nd national commercial DAB mux and it's coverage wasn't great at launch. It also had to complete with being launched alongside lots of new services, including 2 others from the same company

The original Talk Radio didn't do that well either, but once it was refocused into a sport station it did much better

Quote:"The Sun TV" rumours are interesting, but I can't imagine likely. If NewsUK giving TalkTV endless amounts of advertising space in The Sun didn't turn it's fortunes, they can't seriously think slapping on the brand name would... right?

I don't think The Sun is quite the brand it was once and it's power is declining. The fact they've done the same with The Times would suggest it's a popularity, but that station is only a moderate success. It's a very well produced quality product, like its paper. A Sun Radio and TV channel would be very different

RE: Talk TV - Juicy Joe - 18-02-2024

Despite allegedly leaving/being axed from Talk TV last week, Piers Morgan is still actively involved in promoting the channel in the trailers during the shows. He is also shown on the Fire TV background before you select the Talk TV app and you can currently catch up on his programmes. I understand his show may make sporadic appearances for important interviews, but surely his mugshot isn't the face of the channel anymore?

RE: Talk TV - JMT1985 - 19-02-2024

Talk TV doesn't have any face of their channel - it is a channel which is dying even more faster than GB News.

Murdoch was always the one for getting a product out fast, and before any competitor, just look at Sky launching before BSB, and also Sky Digital launching before On Digital.

Seems with age, came slowness, and he waited far too long in launching Talk TV - as soon as Andrew Neil had announced his plans for GB News, Murdoch should have fired up the Talk TV plan and get it on air first.

RE: Talk TV - Robbie1123 - 19-02-2024

(19-02-2024, 06:37 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Talk TV doesn't have any face of their channel - it is a channel which is dying even more faster than GB News.

Murdoch was always the one for getting a product out fast, and before any competitor, just look at Sky launching before BSB, and also Sky Digital launching before On Digital.

Seems with age, came slowness, and he waited far too long in launching Talk TV - as soon as Andrew Neil had announced his plans for GB News, Murdoch should have fired up the Talk TV plan and get it on air first.

I’m not convinced being first would have made a difference, I used to listen to TalkRadio a lot, over the last year or so something has shifted and I hardly tune in at all, scheduling definitely impacted this but talent choices also. Morgan was always a no no, Kyle is unpleasant and this dented the evening options, then Kyle shifting to mornings butchered the daytime schedule and they put Mike to the evening where he doesn’t really work well. Kevin now has a lot of daytime and he really irritates me after a while.

GBN by contrast had already got Talk defectors at launch and supplemented them with talent I don’t mind. Wooton wasn’t great but I like Patrick. Headliners is probably a regular watch now along with the other comedian led shows at the weekend, and I enjoy it.

I think GBN just got a good mix of presenters and formats early doors, it is slowly improving in quality but what it offered at launch had potential. TalkTV hasn’t evolved the formats, most shows are the same they just switch the presenters, and they have way better graphics and sets.

NB, I don’t like Tom Harwood’s presenting style so that 3 hour slot in the afternoon is a no go zone and was also why I chose not to watch any of the late night local election programme.

In short. TalkTV doesn’t have the best talent and two of the most high profile ones have questionable backgrounds. I think the ratings posted around here show that the type of audience available (although small) have a clear preference.

RE: Talk TV - London Lite - 20-02-2024

Going for a tv style breakfast show personally I don't think works either. I'm surprised TalkRadio listeners have stuck around despite the schedule being stripped in an attempt to attract tv viewers with less and less output designed for radio.

If and when TalkTV is axed and TalkRadio becomes the main brand again for right-wing skewed broadcasting from News UK, they really need to get Julia Hartley-Brewer back on breakfast and Mike Graham back on mid-mornings. Ian Collins needs to go back to presenting for three hours instead of Kevin and Alex taking up two hours.

RE: Talk TV - leewilliams - 20-02-2024

Yet another show design rebrand - this time for Prime Time, randomly launched on a Tuesday:

https://x.com/roolockwood/status/1760033050832912556?s=46&t=OuG-53CJRHzzDVEPmDXGSg 

RE: Talk TV - mouseboy33 - 21-02-2024

Its hilarious. When you compare TalkTV and GBN, the presentation and production values for Talktv is light years past GBN. They arent even in the same league.

RE: Talk TV - Brekkie - 21-02-2024

(20-02-2024, 09:41 PM)leewilliams Wrote:  Yet another show design rebrand - this time for Prime Time, randomly launched on a Tuesday:

https://x.com/roolockwood/status/1760033050832912556?s=46&t=OuG-53CJRHzzDVEPmDXGSg 

Is that the replacement for Piers?

Has he done anything on YouTube yet?