Pres Café
Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present (/showthread.php?tid=435)

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Edogawa Ranpo - 08-05-2023

The new opening ident before programmes on the Channel 4 streaming service.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx9_2qYvpxM 

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Juicy Joe - 08-05-2023

(07-05-2023, 05:47 PM)orange Wrote:  I’m still not entirely convinced. I know it’s being rolled out bit by bit and I love the gradient box concept, but there’s something about it all that really feels quite cold and robotic. I think that one of the advantages of Linear TV is how human it feels compared to streaming, and unfortunately i’m not getting a lot of that same warmth from it right now.
I see what you mean.  I'll be intrigued to know about the concept or "story" behind these 2 new Channel 4 idents, similar to how the Blockman/Giant idents were created as in this article:-

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/channel-4-built-disruptive-giant-represents-everything-brand/1449061 

How does a green Channel 4 logo, with a distinctive 4 note jingle, which moves from coloured box to coloured box, represent the edgy, irreverent, unique, out there channel we all know & love? Does it encapsulate all the Ch4 channels? What's the thinking behind it? At the moment, I am unsure. Maybe when these "artist inspired" idents are launched (if they are), we'll have a better idea.

Then you could say, does it have to have a background story? Or does it need to be plain & simple and it does what it says on the tin?

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Larry the Loafer - 08-05-2023

I'm not trying to dump on this on purpose but I can't really warm to the jingle at all. My anorak brain still wants a bit of a nod to Fourscore, and I generally think it sounds a bit too much like a hammer being taken to a Fisher Price xylophone. The more ambient one that it replaced felt like a better "noise" to rival the likes of the Netflix "dun dun" in the wonderful world of streaming apps.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Brekkie - 09-05-2023

I agree. Think it sounds pretty poor myself and think the animation of the logo and the colouring of it green makes it look cheap.

I do like the new promo style though - or at least the idea behind it - and think they get away with unifying All4 under the C4 brand better than I thought they would. Just wish it was rolled out fully rather than a BBC style hash job with half the old look lingering on.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - chaose - 09-05-2023

(08-05-2023, 07:06 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I'm not trying to dump on this on purpose but I can't really warm to the jingle at all. My anorak brain still wants a bit of a nod to Fourscore, and I generally think it sounds a bit too much like a hammer being taken to a Fisher Price xylophone. The more ambient one that it replaced felt like a better "noise" to rival the likes of the Netflix "dun dun" in the wonderful world of streaming apps.

I think the jingle would work better, had they at least kept the rhythm of Fourscore. The four-note motif was distinctive because the third note was shorter than the other four. Daaa-daaa-DA-daaa.

The Fisher Price xylophone version Wink now has four equally long "notes", but the emphasis lies on the first one since that one is quickly followed by the second one, with rest being spaced evenly. So the first one feels shorter (instead of the third as in Fourscore). DA-daa-daa-daa.

Sorry, I'm not very good with musical terms but I hope you understand what I mean Big Grin

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - NancerInTheCafe - 10-05-2023

I don't know why they didn't just reuse Fourscore again. It's an already well-known and fondly remembered tune, plus people instantly think "Channel 4" whenever it's heard. I'm not sure if this will have the same staying power

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Stuart - 11-05-2023

(10-05-2023, 05:21 PM)NancerInTheCafe Wrote:  I don't know why they didn't just reuse Fourscore again. It's an already well-known and fondly remembered tune, plus people instantly think "Channel 4" whenever it's heard. I'm not sure if this will have the same staying power
I concur. If you listen to the full Four Score suite I'm sure there are around 13 different sequences that can be used as ident jingles. I just don't know why they haven't used any of them - or why they've gone for the 'vomit green' colour for the logo. Sick

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Joe - 11-05-2023

I love the colour scheme – I might even suggest that it’s pretty contemporary and on-trend.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Stuart - 11-05-2023

(11-05-2023, 07:09 AM)Joe Wrote:  I love the colour scheme – I might even suggest that it’s pretty contemporary and on-trend.
That's quite disturbing, Joe. I thought it was only me with 'weak eyes'. Tongue

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Nini - 11-05-2023

(11-05-2023, 12:53 AM)Stuart Wrote:  
(10-05-2023, 05:21 PM)NancerInTheCafe Wrote:  I don't know why they didn't just reuse Fourscore again. It's an already well-known and fondly remembered tune, plus people instantly think "Channel 4" whenever it's heard. I'm not sure if this will have the same staying power
I concur. If you listen to the full Four Score suite I'm sure there are around 13 different sequences that can be used as ident jingles. I just don't know why they haven't used any of them - or why they've gone for the 'vomit green' colour for the logo. Sick

So the soundtrack for the idents of today should be... the soundtrack from the idents of the 80s? I don't understand this thought process, take me through it if you could.