Pres Café
Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present (/showthread.php?tid=435)

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Torpido - 23-05-2023

Are we going to end up with just 6 streams called channel 4 in place of the other channel names

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - frasergj - 23-05-2023

(21-05-2023, 01:54 PM)Tola Wrote:  I don't know if anyone noticed, but E4 Extra seems to have live announcements now:
https://youtu.be/fGh8uwM_mqk 

I read something in some of the Ofcom broadcast bulletins that mentioned E4 Extra moving in-house to join the other Channel 4 channels in April 2023.

The most recent mention was in the following:
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0028/248680/Ramsays-Kitchen-Nightmares-USA,-E4-Extra,-7-July-2022.pdf 

I recall a mention of it in the Red Bee stuff too.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - LargelyALurker - 23-05-2023

(23-05-2023, 08:12 PM)Torpido Wrote:  Unless it is was still being made so couldn't go all at once

They could just have done nothing until everything was made?

I’m with Brekkie - the piecemeal approach is baffling.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - TV Insider - 23-05-2023

(23-05-2023, 08:14 PM)Torpido Wrote:  Are we going to end up with just 6 streams called channel 4 in place of the other channel names

Six identically named channels? Absolutely not! A lot of people are taking this far too literally. 

Channel 4 is the masterbrand. You can watch it on TV or stream it on the Channel 4 app or website. There are no hidden meanings or agendas. It's a very simple concept. They want "It's on Channel 4" to have the same effect as "It's on Netflix."

Film4 is a successful film sub-brand. E4 is a successful linear sub-brand. They are not going anywhere. More4, 4Seven and E4 Extra are not strong brands. They could easily be replaced with 4Comedy, 4Reality and 4Docs, which are sub-brands or categories mentioned in that video.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - warbler - 23-05-2023

I don't dislike the new branding as much now having seen that video. Glad to see they've kept the Horseferry typeface, and in fact are doubling down on its quirkiness, seemingly making it into a variable font with all the condensed and extended weights. The rebrand up until now was looking quite bland and not very Channel 4 to be honest. If half of the big type-led designs in that reel come to fruition, I'll be happy — especially if that personality is incorporated more into the on-screen branding.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - orange - 24-05-2023

Absolutely lovely stuff - they’ve sold me now, although again as I and others have been saying throughout the roll out… why not wait? I’m so happy to see how much personality the rebrand actually has that’s waiting to come out, really unsure why they went with this halfway house of old and new… We’d all be singing a very different tune if we got to see that.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Brekkie - 24-05-2023

(23-05-2023, 08:14 PM)Torpido Wrote:  Are we going to end up with just 6 streams called channel 4 in place of the other channel names

That would be the dumbest move in the history of television.   I do think people got the wrong end of the stick when they came to the conclusion E4, Film4 etc. would be dropped as brands, but dumbness and TV execs tend not to be mutually exclusive.

I would hope like the BBC and ITV the intention is for a more unified look across the suite of channels.   They had that to an extend in the late noughties with common presentation elements across C4, E4, Film4, More4 and 4Music (noteably the menus, but other than E4 they all had a similar endcap layout for promos too).  

I could see More4 and 4Seven getting a rebrand more closely aligned to the new C4 brand, with E4 and Film4 keeping their idents but their promo material being aligned in their purple and red colour schemes.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - rick - 24-05-2023

The video makes it look a LOT better than what we have seen, and the floating and rotating blocks at the start of the video were very nice looking too, that alone could be used at the start of the idents sometimes too, a nice throwback to the old 1982 idents but modernised. The sooner the full package comes on screen the better, the mishmash just ruins the 'wow' this package could have had if it all launched at the same time.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - dbl - 24-05-2023

(23-05-2023, 07:31 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It looks fantastic when you see how it all comes together in one package, which makes the decision to unveil part of it and not the menus, ECPs and full ident set even more baffling.

They've updated the EC Menu and Full Frame menu to what's in the showreel today.

Trickling the new OSP in.

Respectfully, that would be a marketing nightmare.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Edogawa Ranpo - 24-05-2023

(24-05-2023, 11:58 AM)dbl Wrote:  
(23-05-2023, 07:31 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It looks fantastic when you see how it all comes together in one package, which makes the decision to unveil part of it and not the menus, ECPs and full ident set even more baffling.

They've updated the EC Menu and Full Frame menu to what's in the showreel today.

Trickling the new OSP in.

Respectfully, that would be a marketing nightmare.

Just hoping the idents will (finally) get their first showing, cos the "different worlds" concept is a really unique take.