Pres Café
Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present (/showthread.php?tid=435)

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Hybrid - 04-04-2024

Alex Jones just referred to Channel 4’s streaming service as 'My4' on The One Show. I think it’s fair to say Channel 4 is having a bit of an identity crisis.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Brekkie - 04-04-2024

Although within Channel 4 there is the My4 tab to flag the programmes you want to watch, so technically more correct than All4 or 4oD.

I do think the big problem with branding it Channel 4 is it makes it look like it does just include the content you get on C4 rather than offering a bigger range of programming. ITVX has kind of posititioned itself well so part of it's selling point is it does offer quite a bit of content you wouldn't usually get on ITV channels.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - JMT1985 - 04-04-2024

ITVX is the example of how re-branding a streaming service has been done perfectly - Channel 4 have really ballsed it up and it should have remained All 4, simple and concise and not confusing.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - thomalex - 04-04-2024

(04-04-2024, 09:56 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  It is now really Channel 4 Streaming as their new streaming service. They should have simply called it this.

Again I don’t know why this is an issue. Channel 4 is the brand, if you’re for something on Channel 4 you’re either going to search for ‘channel 4’ or look for the 4 logo. Introducing separate brands like All4 just weakens the brand.

They don’t call the Netflix app Netflix Streaming, it’s just Netflix.

(04-04-2024, 07:38 PM)thomalex Wrote:  Again I don’t know why this is an issue. Channel 4 is the brand, if you’re for something on Channel 4 you’re either going to search for ‘channel 4’ or look for the 4 logo. Introducing separate brands like All4 just weakens the brand.

They don’t call the Netflix app Netflix Streaming, it’s just Netflix.
You've argued against yourself there - Netflix only needs to be called Netflix. Channel 4 now has to be referred to as Channel 4 Streaming to differentiate it from the Channel 4 Channel.

"Channel 4" may have long been the legal name and used on things like Channel 4 Racing and Channel 4 News but in practice up until quite recently for a couple of decades the "brand" had largely just been referred to as "4" on screen, hence the off shoots working as E4, More4, Film4 etc and the on demand services as 4oD and All4 - and on the whole these additional brands have strengthened the main brand rather than weakened it.

I get your point about people searching for it but in most cases C4 is pre-loaded and the logo is sufficient. Not quite sure how precise you need to be with searching in app stores but usually an app provided by a company would show up even if the app isn't named the same as a company. And All4 also had the good old fashioned Yellow Pages technique of being one of the first apps listed in any alphabetical list.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Kunst - 04-04-2024

I was somehow positive about the Channel 4 streaming and linear channel merger in terms of branding, but I don't know, I'm starting to think it was not such a good idea seeing how they handled it and you always need to decipher the promos, especially on E4 and More4

Maybe a U-turn wouldn't be such a bad idea: but seeing C4 is in a state of disaster!
I think they even won't rebrand E4 and More4 or adapt the channels to the main C4 fonts and all (at least)

And I think the garish green chosen for C4 is very bad and it's not making it any more distinctive

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Kim Wexler’s Ponytail - 04-04-2024

I can’t remember who it was now (Sooz Kempner maybe?) but there was a guest on Richard Herring’s podcast a few weeks ago and this came up when they were trying to plug something on Channel 4 (the streamer not the channel). Both agreed it was daft and would have been more concise to just say ‘’it’s on 4OD/ALL4’’.

Strange ads during Taskmaster for the new Audible George Orwell series which are basically very Big Brother.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - LargelyALurker - 05-04-2024

To me, the natural thing would be to refer to it as ‘the Channel 4 app’ or ‘the Channel 4 app and website’.

‘Watch on Fridays at 8pm or stream now on the Channel 4 app and website’. The biggest issue now for me is that the wording is clumsy because they don’t want to differentiate that TV channel from the app/website, but it seems a bit silly.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - cable - 05-04-2024

Probably best to consider Channel 4 holistically these days. Trying to silo things is taking a step backwards.