Pres Café
Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present (/showthread.php?tid=435)

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - VMPhil - 05-04-2024

(05-04-2024, 09:40 AM)cable Wrote:  Probably best to consider Channel 4 holistically these days. Trying to silo things is taking a step backwards.

I don't think it would be a step backwards at all. ITV has ITV1 etc and ITVX. BBC has BBC One etc and BBC iPlayer.

Channel 4 is now Channel 4 (company), Channel 4 (TV channel), Channel 4 (on demand that also has programmes from other Channel 4 (company) channels).

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Keith - 05-04-2024

(04-04-2024, 10:39 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Strange ads during Taskmaster for the new Audible George Orwell series which are basically very Big Brother.
Well the George Orwell book 1984 is where 'Big Brother' comes from (along with 'Room 101').

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - cable - 05-04-2024

(05-04-2024, 10:37 AM)VMPhil Wrote:  I don't think it would be a step backwards at all. ITV has ITV1 etc and ITVX. BBC has BBC One etc and BBC iPlayer.

Traditionally and deliberately, both are targeted and branded specifically.

(05-04-2024, 10:37 AM)VMPhil Wrote:  Channel 4 is now Channel 4 (company), Channel 4 (TV channel), Channel 4 (on demand that also has programmes from other Channel 4 (company) channels).

Exactly, they want you to consider it the one and whole. If it wasn't for rights and licensing I'm pretty sure they would love to have the same content across TV/Online. Certainly going forward it will be.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Kim Wexler’s Ponytail - 05-04-2024

''One and whole'' sounds very W1A. for as long as there’s two different platforms you still have to differentiate between the them; Something that was simple and concise now sounds convoluted and silly.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - ViridianFan - 05-04-2024

Personally I think it was better being called 4OD or All4. Calling them channel 4 just feels so clunky too. It almost feels too formal.

The one and whole thing is being taken to an extreme though. Channel 4 has for years had a very simple way of showing it’s one of their channels or streaming by using the iconic 4 logo. Calling them both channel 4 means you have to almost explain that they are two different services whereas “catch it on 4 or All4” is punchier.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Kunst - 05-04-2024

In short: it's been a bit of a disaster

I realize streaming is developed, but not so developed they can get away with naming the streaming service like the main service; just not yet
Especially because there's additional content on the streaming service

But All4 was at time messy with that, since it had no "all" in the logo and you had to rely with the loading bars: MAYBE it was better to stick with 4OD and redevelop that

And then, you get Channel 4+...

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - all new phil - 06-04-2024

I think you’re all wrong. Sorry. There’s nothing confusing whatsoever about the streaming service being called Channel 4. Want to watch Taskmaster? It’s on Channel 4. Literally no viewer is confused by that - it’s either the fourth channel on the telly or the app with a big 4 on it.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Kim Wexler’s Ponytail - 06-04-2024

(06-04-2024, 12:52 AM)all new phil Wrote:  I think you’re all wrong. Sorry. There’s nothing confusing whatsoever about the streaming service being called Channel 4. Want to watch Taskmaster? It’s on Channel 4. Literally no viewer is confused by that - it’s either the fourth channel on the telly or the app with a big 4 on it.

Even when taking the piss you still needed to long widedly differentiate the two different ways the show is available to watch when "Taskmaster is on Channel 4 and All4" told people everything they needed to know.

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - bbctvtechop - 06-04-2024

(06-04-2024, 12:52 AM)all new phil Wrote:  I think you’re all wrong. Sorry. There’s nothing confusing whatsoever about the streaming service being called Channel 4. Want to watch Taskmaster? It’s on Channel 4. Literally no viewer is confused by that - it’s either the fourth channel on the telly or the app with a big 4 on it.

"I'm going to watch The Inbetweeners on Channel 4 tonight"
Next morning
"I turned on Channel 4 last night as you said The Inbetweeners was on, but it was something different"
"Oh no, I meant it was on Channel 4, not Channel 4".
"Oh OK, I'll watch it on Channel 4 tonight instead then"
"I don't think it's on Channel 4 tonight, they're showing a film instead"
"No, I mean I'll watch it on Channel 4, not Channel 4..."

RE: Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present - Brekkie - 06-04-2024

Maybe it's not confusion of the viewers that's the issue but the confusion of the channel itself who've rebranded the service but then feel the need to refer to it as "C4 Streaming" online and haven't quite got it right in promotion.

As much as I hate BBC ads that only refer to the iPlayer considering how much Channel 4 say they are "digital first" in their on screen promotion they are usually the most likely to promote the linear airing too. As mentioned when it was All4 that was easy to tag on without the need to clarify what All4 was. Perhaps a year on they should just simplify and assume people know what is what.

Away from the branding though a big issue is live streaming is still not available in all versions of the app. So something at 9pm on Channel 4 may be on the TV channel but isn't available to stream live on Freeview Play for example.