Pres Café
Disney+ - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Online Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Disney+ (/showthread.php?tid=451)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Disney+ - IndigoTucker - 28-12-2023

Yes it was - which surprised me. ABC1 was a 4x3 only channel.
The americans never went to 16x9 SD - so there shows had to be 4x3 compliant totally, aswell as 16x9 HD for the ATSC services.

RE: Disney+ - XIII - 28-12-2023

(28-12-2023, 03:03 PM)IndigoTucker Wrote:  Yes it was - which surprised me. ABC1 was a 4x3 only channel.
The americans never went to 16x9 SD - so there shows had to be 4x3 compliant totally, aswell as 16x9 HD for the ATSC services.

I get the sense Disney weren't fully committed to ABC1.

RE: Disney+ - Neil Jones - 28-12-2023

(28-12-2023, 06:35 PM)XIII Wrote:  I get the sense Disney weren't fully committed to ABC1.

I think they were holding out for a 24hr slot on Freeview. When they didn't get that it was probably only a matter of time before they decided sod this, we're off.

RE: Disney+ - VMPhil - 28-12-2023

It was a strange channel. Had the gimmick of having US style adverts where they go to an ad break immediately after the opening titles.

Don’t know if anyone else remembers but also at this time the Disney Channel was a premium add on (£6 a month as I recall, but it included +1, Toon Disney and Playhouse Disney) with no adverts.

RE: Disney+ - Kunst - 28-12-2023

(28-12-2023, 08:34 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  It was a strange channel. Had the gimmick of having US style adverts where they go to an ad break immediately after the opening titles.

Don’t know if anyone else remembers but also at this time the Disney Channel was a premium add on (£6 a month as I recall, but it included +1, Toon Disney and Playhouse Disney) with no adverts.
Yeah, it made slightly more sense when Disney Channel started becoming a tween channel (too obsessed with the same kind of shows too) rather than a family channel (starting in 2004 especially), with the likes of 8 SImple Rules and Home Improvement being moved there, but you can't live on the same repeats for ever, of course, so something was bound to happen.
Then it was 2006 when the big changes happened and the Disney premium model shifted to a more "basic" ones, with premium content being moved on Cinemagic, a moved other countries in Europe followed suit.
Advertising only started being added in 2013, soon after the Cinemagic shutdown; but some other European countries added it earlier (e.g. Italy and France in 2007)

But the bust of ABC1 was also due to the fact they couldn't broadcast around the clock on Freeview, the whole premise of a daytime channel was deemed to be a failure from the start!

Eventually, I think they would have found a way to broadcast around the clock on Freeview, just probably it wasn't worth it
Although the potential was clearly there. It would have shut down in a way or the other, given the fact they have shut down everything but the Nat Geo's.

Advertising on ABC1, while invasive, was NOT so invasive, as basically, if I remember correctly, it was sometime after the beginning of the show (prob'ly after the intro and definitely before the credits or something), especially as back then the infamous EU "20 minute rule" (distancing between each internal break) applied.
In general a very silly rule, except in such cases

RE: Disney+ - Tola - 28-12-2023

(28-12-2023, 08:34 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  It was a strange channel. Had the gimmick of having US style adverts where they go to an ad break immediately after the opening titles.

IIRC, the addition of adverts to ABC1 was around 2005 (albeit only with Procter and Gamble ones)

RE: Disney+ - nwtv2003 - 28-12-2023

(28-12-2023, 07:48 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I think they were holding out for a 24hr slot on Freeview. When they didn't get that it was probably only a matter of time before they decided sod this, we're off.

This was when Freeview spectrum came at a premium also, so any potential 24 hour slots could’ve cost millions potentially. I don’t think the channel was available on DTT in Wales either.

Tbf the first year or so of ABC1 they gave it a really good go, they had ESPN original content along with a Playhouse Disney block in the mornings, but when they simply started to repeat the same content without adding anything new you could tell they’d really given up. They did operate 24 hours a day on Sky and Virgin, but the evening schedule had little to no difference than the daytime schedule.

RE: Disney+ - Brekkie - 29-12-2023

I think ABC1 is quite fondly remembered compared to other defunct Freeview channels as it did do something different - I thought the ad structure actually worked quite well and as they were place in parts where they were designed to be anyway it didn't really disrupt the flow. I'm quite surprised more digital channels haven't taken advantage of the rule - I've only known 5Star to air half hour programmes with two breaks, noteably their screening of Home and Away. I don't know if they still do that. I do think part of the reason it was bumped from C5 was they could air it with extra ads on 5Star whilst on C5 due to the 40-minute primetime rules it generally aired ad free in later years, with advertising focused later on primetime.

RE: Disney+ - Kunst - 29-12-2023

(29-12-2023, 12:31 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think ABC1 is quite fondly remembered compared to other defunct Freeview channels as it did do something different - I thought the ad structure actually worked quite well and as they were place in parts where they were designed to be anyway it didn't really disrupt the flow. I'm quite surprised more digital channels haven't taken advantage of the rule - I've only known 5Star to air half hour programmes with two breaks, noteably their screening of Home and Away. I don't know if they still do that. I do think part of the reason it was bumped from C5 was they could air it with extra ads on 5Star whilst on C5 due to the 40-minute primetime rules it generally aired ad free in later years, with advertising focused later on primetime.
In Europe we're just more used to 1 ad break in the middle of a 30-ish mins slot, it's not going to change and probably it's better like that

In the UK you also have PBS channels behaving like that (by law), so other channels are influenced by that and not want to take a useless risk
But even other countries where no frequency restrictions on commercial operations apply (such as Italy and Germany) keep firmly having 1 ad break only, during these slots

It's a relic of the now gone 20 minute rule, but it is what it is; changing would probably not go well with the audience

RE: Disney+ - rick - 29-12-2023

(27-12-2023, 10:39 PM)James2001 Wrote:  There were quite a lot of early HD US productions we only ever got in 4:3 at the time, even on the main terrestrials. When it comes to the likes of The King Of Queens and Everybody Loves Raymond, as well as the final season of Frasier, Channel 4 are still using SD 4:3 cut outs of many of the HD seasons.

Comedy Central in Germany are showing Frasier but all the episodes are 16:9, so I'm assuming the entire series has been restored and not just the final season? Odd that Channel 4 have never obtained the newer prints.