Pres Café
Disney+ - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Online Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Disney+ (/showthread.php?tid=451)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Disney+ - VMPhil - 29-12-2023

When Comedy Central UK used to show Frasier, they had an HD version of Frasier season 10 but it required a lot of cropping of the original image.

As James said season 11 was proper 16:9 HD and the 4:3 versions were centre-cut outs of this.

Back then the SD and HD versions of Comedy Central had split playout so you could actually switch between the two and compare, as the SD channel showed the 4:3 copies and the HD channel had the 16:9 copies.

The later seasons of Everybody Loves Raymond were also made in 16:9 HD at the time. Annoyingly Channel 4 only ever had the 4:3 cut out versions (think they still do). A bizarre decision was that they put all the opening cast/crew credits outside of the 16:9 safe area. This meant when they made the 4:3 cut out versions, they simply shifted the frame all the way to the left, so it looks really off for the first 5 minutes of every episode.

Again Comedy Central did the same thing and showed the 4:3 versions on the SD channel and the 16:9 versions on the HD channel where you could easily see the differences in framing.

A few years ago they went back and remastered the earlier seasons of Raymond to be 16:9 HD too, you can get them on iTunes etc.

RE: Disney+ - LucaKisses - 29-12-2023

(28-12-2023, 08:34 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  It was a strange channel. Had the gimmick of having US style adverts where they go to an ad break immediately after the opening titles.

Don’t know if anyone else remembers but also at this time the Disney Channel was a premium add on (£6 a month as I recall, but it included +1, Toon Disney and Playhouse Disney) with no adverts.
DC UK also was like that at some point where they would have US-style “ad breaks” but wih no actual commercials, right?

RE: Disney+ - Kunst - 30-12-2023

DC UK had been showing "fake ad breaks" (except for movies) for a very long time, I believe from day one!

Just 1-2 mins or so of trailers and at times fillers, but unlike ABC1, only at half the show.
For a long time before 2005 they had a 30 mins block schedule and loads of fillers (Consumer Arcade and behind the scenes of their shows, live links etc.) before the next show; but then they started dropping all live productions, and it made sense not to have as many of them as in the past, although you still got some music videos from Hannah Montana and the likes.

Maybe in 1995 it was different and they had 2 breaks per show, but I doubt

Of course, with the insertion of advertising in 2013, gradually, they started filling their breaks with advertising instead, which became longer (and they were at the 30 mins scheduling again, after a long time)

I can also add: I still think it's a pity the channel has closed down in many countries, including Italy?
The channel,in EMEA, has a solid and good looking graphic package now and shows some good stuff.

I think shutting down Disney XD would have sufficed

RE: Disney+ - Neil Jones - 01-01-2024

Probably a tenacious link but I notice Steamboat Willie has finally dropped into public domain in the US, after 40 years of Disney effectively pulling out all the stops to prevent that.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67833411 

Not sure about the EU copyright status as I think the current status quo (lifetime+70 years) only applies if the work was created in Europe (Walt Disney of course being American), but I think it's public domain elsewhere for the most part.

Disney will protect the later incarnations of the character via the trademark (which can be renewed in theory ad-infinitum) but as he appeared in Steamboat Willie? Knock yourself out it would appear.

RE: Disney+ - XIII - 01-01-2024

Good luck trying to sell Steamboat Willie without Disney's permission because Mickey Mouse's name is trademarked. Both Action Comics 1 and Detective Comics 1 go into public domain in a decade's time but DC have trademarked all aspects of Superman and Batman to the point it'd be difficult to sell.

RE: Disney+ - JAS84 - 01-01-2024

You could release a DVD of classic cartoons, including Steamboat Willie, and Disney can't stop you. It can be uploaded to other streamers who aren't Disney+, and Disney can't stop you doing that.

In the case of those comics, they could be reprinted by someone who isn't DC, and Warner couldn't stop it - but yes, they'd have to change the titles, which are still trademarked. Bundle them together as a book called Superhero Origins, they can't stop you doing that as long as you mention any active trademarks and their owners (i.e. Superman TM DC Comics - no need to mention Batman as he isn't in this theoretical book, he debuted in Detective #27).

RE: Disney+ - RhysJR - 03-01-2024

(01-01-2024, 03:49 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  You could release a DVD of classic cartoons, including Steamboat Willie, and Disney can't stop you. It can be uploaded to other streamers who aren't Disney+, and Disney can't stop you doing that.

Or make a slasher film heavily featuring Steamboat Willie.

https://twitter.com/HollywoodHandle/status/1741990817097519485 

And apparently many more weird and not-quite wonderful things...
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/jan/02/mickey-mouses-first-24-hours-in-the-public-domain-slasher-flicks-horror-games-and-nfts 

RE: Disney+ - XIII - 03-01-2024

I think in the case of the slasher film, Disney can shut them down for trademark infringement.

RE: Disney+ - James2001 - 04-01-2024

Disney's probably going to be spending a lot of time in the courts this year. Whether they win or not, we'll have to see, but I imagine they'll be pushing things as hard as they can.

RE: Disney+ - Flux - 05-01-2024

(03-01-2024, 01:51 PM)XIII Wrote:  I think in the case of the slasher film, Disney can shut them down for trademark infringement.

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of misinformation and confusion regarding what can and can’t be done with the Steamboat Willie Mickey. It’s severely limited, and the lapse of copyright mainly just allows for the original cartoon to be released by other content providers like we see with many other old movies which crop up in varying quality on a number of DVDs and streaming platforms. Even then, anyone looking to share the content will need to be careful where they source it as any later versions (e.g. Versions Disney has restored or coloured) will still be covered by copyright depending on what year that version was released.

Most importantly, the name “Mickey Mouse” is trademarked (along with many of the character’s attributes) so I doubt that slasher film - or any other “new” content trying to use “Mickey” - will be seeing the light of day with its current title.