Pres Café
Disney+ - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Online Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Disney+ (/showthread.php?tid=451)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Disney+ - Humphrey Hacker - 29-09-2023

Retroblasting has a video regarding Disney+. While it doesn't talk about the password side of things it does I feel highlight some of the issues Disney has:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_QXiHz1Utk 

RE: Disney+ - Keith - 29-09-2023

(28-09-2023, 08:46 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Not really sure how effective cracking down on passwords can be.

Any service that requires a password to access is always going to be prone to sharing, legally(!) or otherwise - after all we see it many times on data breaches that usernames and sometimes clear passwords are stuck on the dark web somewhere for anybody savvy enough to see.
I'm guessing that they'll be using a combination of IP addresses and device information, stored against each Disney account. If someone logins in from a new device from a completely different part of the country that might flag up. Similarly multiple existing 'active' devices logged in across different parts of the country (or world) might flag up as potential password sharing incidents.

I've heard of some jailbroken Fire sticks being available with streaming apps installed which somehow bypass the app logins. I dare say the changes Disney and Netflix are making may also help them to identify and block such (presumably illegal) devices.

RE: Disney+ - Neil Jones - 29-09-2023

(29-09-2023, 11:18 AM)Keith Wrote:  I've heard of some jailbroken Fire sticks being available with streaming apps installed which somehow bypass the app logins. I dare say the changes Disney and Netflix are making may also help them to identify and block such (presumably illegal) devices.

IIRC you can "jailbreak" a firestick in two seconds, you just turn the ADB debugging and "Install unknown apps" options on and that's all there is to it.

All that does is allow you to install any app you like that isn't on the Amazon Store. The most common use for this to get something like Kodi installed (and Kodi itself is not illegal, its what you use it for that can be illegal).

The apps are probably just some custom solution in a wrapper which opens issues of its own, but that's the risk you take with such configurations.

RE: Disney+ - London Lite - 30-09-2023

There are perfectly legal Android TV apps which haven't been added to the Fire Store which you can sideload to a Fire TV Stick/Cube.

You don't even have to use a phone to sideload apks to the streamer. I use adbLink for Windows where I can download the file to my PC and then push across to my Fire TV Cube.

RE: Disney+ - Neil Jones - 03-11-2023

I don't think it was mentioned in any of the coverage regarding the price increases for Disney+, but I've just had a look at my Disney+ account and it's telling me my next payment (in April for what it's worth) will be £109.90. Which having crunched the numbers is not far off 17% discount off 12 months at £10.99, or £22 near enough, which is practically two months free.

I know Disney have always offered a discount for an annual pass since they launched it over the monthly pass (not unique to them, since Amazon does it as well), but I don't think it was as high as 17% last time. Didn't this used to be marketed as 12 month for the price of 10 or similar? Or am I just being thick and its always been something around 15%-18% discount for the annual pass?

RE: Disney+ - bilky asko - 03-11-2023

(03-11-2023, 12:27 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I don't think it was mentioned in any of the coverage regarding the price increases for Disney+, but I've just had a look at my Disney+ account and it's telling me my next payment (in April for what it's worth) will be £109.90. Which having crunched the numbers is not far off 17% discount off 12 months at £10.99, or £22 near enough, which is practically two months free.

I know Disney have always offered a discount for an annual pass since they launched it over the monthly pass (not unique to them, since Amazon does it as well), but I don't think it was as high as 17% last time. Didn't this used to be marketed as 12 month for the price of 10 or similar? Or am I just being thick and its always been something around 15%-18% discount for the annual pass?

12 months for the price of 10 is a 16.666...% discount - they add on a zero to the monthly amount to create an annual pass amount.

RE: Disney+ - Medianext.MX - 12-12-2023

The Disney+ app in the US now includes most Hulu content in its own separate hub, in a beta basis. Some content and features won’t be available due to licensing reasons (the example of Love Island, which Hulu distributes in the US, and Modern Family) or technical limitations (the Live TV virtual TV pack), a measure which is permanent and will force viewers to resort to use Hulu’s own apps. A full launch is expected by March, including adding viewing tracking, to allow parents to familiarise with Disney+ parental controls.

https://youtu.be/AgHZ7EeNaSg 
https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/disney-plus-adds-hulu-content-beta-launch-1235823013/ 

And, as part of the gradual integration of all Disney content into a single offering, Star+ is merging into Disney+'s Latin American offering. This will mean the appearance of a Star hub as is the case in other countries outside of the US and Latin America. Another thing is the appearance of an ESPN-branded hub, which will offer all ESPN content live, plus ESPN+ originals, ESPN Films content and streaming exclusives already existing inside Star+; this also further fuels plans to launch a full-flown similar offering in the US which would complement and/or supersede the ESPN+ service.

https://www.totalmedios.com/nota/54845/the-walt-disney-company-latin-america-anuncio-la-integracion-de-star-a-disney-en-2024 
https://awfulannouncing.com/streaming/espn-full-dtc-launch-2025-2026.html 

RE: Disney+ - Neil Jones - 27-12-2023

I notice 8 Simple Rules has been added to Disney+ UK today, in widescreen, but only the first two seasons out of three made are present. This may be no great loss as the show never really recovered after John Ritter died early into the second season production.

8SR was aired on ABC1, but they only ever aired it in 4:3 cut-out (for whatever reason ABC1 were pretty much allergic to anything widescreen aside from commercials). It was apparently aired in widescreen on some of the Channel 5 stations, though its blatantly obvious its been made 4:3 safe but it doesn't have that "Friends" effect of edges of the set, etc on widescreen prints.

RE: Disney+ - James2001 - 27-12-2023

There were quite a lot of early HD US productions we only ever got in 4:3 at the time, even on the main terrestrials. When it comes to the likes of The King Of Queens and Everybody Loves Raymond, as well as the final season of Frasier, Channel 4 are still using SD 4:3 cut outs of many of the HD seasons.

I guess the difference between the framing of 8 Simple Rules and Friends is that while 8 Simple Rules was shot 4:3 safe, the full 16:9 versions would have been shown on HD outlets as well, so they would have frames things so both versions looked right, whereas with Friends they wouldn't have had any intention at the time that the extra picture on the sides would have been seen, so they wouldn't have made any consideration to it, which is why the 16:9 versions look so odd and have the edge of sets creeping in at times.

RE: Disney+ - XIII - 27-12-2023

(27-12-2023, 10:30 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I notice 8 Simple Rules has been added to Disney+ UK today, in widescreen, but only the first two seasons out of three made are present. This may be no great loss as the show never really recovered after John Ritter died early into the second season production.

8SR was aired on ABC1, but they only ever aired it in 4:3 cut-out (for whatever reason ABC1 were pretty much allergic to anything widescreen aside from commercials). It was apparently aired in widescreen on some of the Channel 5 stations, though its blatantly obvious its been made 4:3 safe but it doesn't have that "Friends" effect of edges of the set, etc on widescreen prints.

I've seen 8 Simple Rules in widescreen, think it was on 5Star.