Pres Café
Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect (/showthread.php?tid=452)

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Brekkie - 21-05-2023

(21-05-2023, 02:14 PM)XIII Wrote:  Im sure Jake could do This Morning and focus on Whisper as well. In terms of commitment, This Morning is a fairly easy gig

I doubt it - Whisper is basically his day job and likely making him more money than This Morning ever would.   Shame as he would be a good fit, but it's not a role he needs to take.

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - steve - 21-05-2023

(21-05-2023, 02:12 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  
(21-05-2023, 01:31 PM)Jon Wrote:  It certainly shouldn’t be used for magazine features.

It wasn’t tagged as “Breaking News”, it simply had BBC News as the header a bit like when they send out a notification each week to alert us to Laura’s Sunday morning show guest. 

I don’t have volume on, but I wonder if the BBC sound still goes off for these ones?

Do agree though, they should let people opt in for “major” or “all” notifications.
The noise only sounds for those tagged ‘breaking news’.

But I fully agree, I only want to receive those genuine breaking news alerts - why they haven’t allowed customisable alerts, I don’t know. I suspect it’s because most would quickly turn most off!

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Brekkie - 21-05-2023

And on the topic of apps I wonder if Spin to Win will survive as it's very much been Holly and Phil's thing, rarely used when others host. Might get a last outing if entries had already opened fir Monday but they'd been doing 12 at 12 last week which is pretty poor.

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Andrew - 21-05-2023

(21-05-2023, 02:12 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  
(21-05-2023, 01:31 PM)Jon Wrote:  It certainly shouldn’t be used for magazine features.

It wasn’t tagged as “Breaking News”, it simply had BBC News as the header a bit like when they send out a notification each week to alert us to Laura’s Sunday morning show guest. 
Even that only used to be when they had a big guest like the PM, now they alert us every week, that she’ll be speaking to the 10th most important person in the cabinet and the 5th most important person from the opposition about a story that is hardly seismic

‘Spin to Win’ has already been tainted after that ‘Energy Bills’ prize went viral and caused outrage

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Jon - 21-05-2023

The set design for 12 at 12 looks like it should be a really fun game, but it really isn’t.

It offers the least exciting gamble in TV which, seems to be a no brainer considering the risk vs reward and they already have 6 grand safe and the few times I’ve seen it hardly anyone goes for it.

It would make more sense if they won a guaranteed £1,000 for getting through and they can open as many doors as they like but each time they’re gambling on not hitting a booby trap which would cost them the additional money up to 12k. I’m sure it’s similar to many other things such as Strike It Lucky, but it would make better television. It’s very anticlimactic, it’s like starting Millionaire with the question for one for a Million then 14 more for 5 grand a time.

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - AaronTV - 21-05-2023

So the suspicion there was more to come in the Sunday papers today ultimately wasn’t correct, so what was Schofield actually sacked for? The speculation alone?

I see it’s now Holly in the firing line - the front page of the Mail, for example, suggesting Holly gave ITV an ultimatum and was ready to quit if Phil didn’t. Now we have no idea whether it’s even true, but Holly declining to do anything supportive for Phil and now appearing to have elbowed him out is not a great look. Despite having his very vocal critics, Phil was hugely popular and helped build a solid and very profitable audience for a long time.

If Team Holly can’t plug these negative stories, is she now going to have to quit? It’s not exactly a high bar ITV have set here.

I do think unlike other programs that have relied on temporary replacements, they need to get a permanent co-host in as soon as possible. With Piers and GMB, for example, Piers only
did 3 days a week, already took extended breaks with a large team of fill ins to cover, and Ben Shephard was able to naturally fill the gap for the initial few weeks. Piers and Susanna’s chemistry was also built on them bickering and disliking one another.

With This Morning, Phil and Holly are (well, were) the show. The whole thing was built around their friendship and how long Phil had been there, so the longer Holly is sat with a different randomer each week, it’s a further reminder of the whole affair and only fuels the tabloid speculation further.

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Andrew - 21-05-2023

(21-05-2023, 03:47 PM)AaronTV Wrote:  So the suspicion there was more to come in the Sunday papers today ultimately wasn’t correct, so what was Schofield actually sacked for? The speculation alone?

Unless the papers are now holding the story back, and will change it to focus on Holly, maybe to run in two weeks time ahead of her return?

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Stooky Bill - 21-05-2023

Whatever was printed in the papers and whatever people are speculating about, if the chemistry between them isn't there, or is perceived by the audience not to be there then that's a problem for the programme. And as Philip says its the whole 'becoming the story' thing.

That's why he's gone, because it isn't good for the programme. The fact his contract is due up helps making that decision.

He's been golden handcuffed to ITV for years, I wonder if he'll be popping up on various programmes on other channels once everything blows over in a few months.

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Larry the Loafer - 21-05-2023

The Sun claim Phillip was sacked/told to leave after Thursday's show, and presumably he was given the chance to break the news himself before the Sunday papers said anything, hence there being no bombshell front pages this morning.

The powers that be are welcome to remove this post if necessary, but the more outspoken corner of the rumour mill believe there's an injunction in place until later in the summer which, if true - IF - would obviously prevent any of the papers reporting on it until then.

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Jon - 21-05-2023

If his contract was up in a few months, I wonder if by agreeing to go early he was able to get a bit of a pay off, rather than waiting to not have it renewed and receiving nothing.