Pres Café
Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect (/showthread.php?tid=452)

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Milkshake - 26-05-2023

I think this whole story more of a storm in a tea cup, and more damaging about how badly ITV Daytime has been managed in the HR department. ITV know but I dare say they thought to it a storm in a tea cup aswell. Why it's the lead story on BBC/ITV is beyond me.

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Andrew - 26-05-2023

Nobby Wrote:Does anyone know if the episode(s) of How to Spend It Well on Holiday that were recorded but not yet broadcast will be shown?

What a strange question

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Keith - 26-05-2023

(26-05-2023, 10:16 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  I think this whole story more of a storm in a tea cup, and more damaging about how badly ITV Daytime has been managed in the HR department. ITV know  but I dare say they thought to it a storm in a tea cup aswell.  Why it's the lead story on BBC/ITV is beyond me.
Because he's admitted to misleading through his lawyer, who he also misled. (Ref https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65729361 ) I imagine until now his lawyers had been issuing denials and threats of legal action to any media outlets who dared to report on the rumours.

As mentioned by earlier by others, it's not the initial scandal that's damaging but the handling of it.

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - tellyblues - 27-05-2023

(26-05-2023, 07:31 PM)XIII Wrote:  
(26-05-2023, 07:27 PM)brioalex Wrote:  Phil is too associated with the ‘This Morning’ brand for it to continue without any changes.

So was John Leslie and the show went on without him.

The show is bigger than its presenters, always has been, always will be. This situation is no different to a number of scandals that have happened in the US where presenters have been sacked for sexual harassment and the show themselves didn't get cancelled. 

The show might change in terms of whoever is behind or front of the camera but ITV won't axe it.

A different era with Leslie whereas nowadays viewers have more power and the ability to mobilise themselves.

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Brekkie - 27-05-2023

(26-05-2023, 09:23 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  
(26-05-2023, 07:02 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  They'll be more digging to come and Phil admitting to having previously lied about it means there is always a possibility some information is still being withheld but think the only way for all to move forward was for the full story to come out. 

There is still no evidence that anything illegal took place, and you have to suspect that if he lied to his execs, agent and family then he probably wasn't fully truthful with Holly either.
For the second time this week it's been demonstrated that it's not necessarily the deed that gets you into trouble, but the lying about it. 

Like the Home Secretary and her speeding ticket, if he'd not tried to cover it up it would have been far less of an issue
Although of course one keeps their job and the other gets held to a much higher level of accountability.

(26-05-2023, 09:35 PM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  I think Holly proves an issue now. Since 2009, This Morning has been Phil and Holly - you see Holly on This Morning and you automatically think of Phil.

If ITV want to distance themselves from the whole affair, it's hard for me to see how they can do that if they opt for the 'business as usual' approach of keeping Holly and just pairing her with someone else.

I think it'll be an interesting few weeks and months ahead.
Worth remembering many people were as uncomfortable with the age-gap friendship he had with someone 20 years his junior. She's implicated now whether she likes it or not - for me there is no reason to assume she wasn't lied too as well. Even if she "knew" then it's somewhat double standards that many people calling for her to go over the issue are also praising Eamonn. Personally I've little time for people coming out of the woodwork to kick a man when he's down.

As you say though regardless of what Holly did nd didn't know the association is there. Is it fair though to expect her to step down as a result - I don't recall people saying that of Dec when Ant had his troubles, and Dec stood by his mate when he was down on his luck due to his own stupidity rather than disassociated himself from it.

As for the show - long term it'll likely be fine. Short term and I think the immediate short term may be the problem, especially if execs have questions to answer. I'd imagine ITV will have to launch a formal investigation too.

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Humphrey Hacker - 27-05-2023

I would hazard a guess that ITV are literally counting down the seconds to the end of the series.
I would also hazard a guess that a hell of a lot of work is being done behind the scenes right now.

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - JamesWorldNews - 27-05-2023

As I mentioned on the other thread before it was closed, ITV should (must) seize this unfortunate opportunity to revamp the brand and format of the programme.

Although I keep reading that the This Morning brand is bigger than the stars who present it, the imminent enforced summer break would give a chance for some remodeling and refreshing.

Undoubtedly This Morning will continue (I’d love it to be pan-regional for each of the 5 days, as mentioned previously), but a whole new look may be necessary to move in a forward direction. And a personal opinion aside from media and other speculation ok here, I don’t see Holly being part of the new show after the summer. I honestly don’t.

If the rumourmill is to be believed at even 10% of the speculation, This Morning may also have a new Editorial team by September. They will have to salvage the successful elements of the current format, adding enough new zest to wash away the current scandal.

ITV and This Morning will go on for a long time, but the latter not without some serious adjustments.

FWIW, and without knowing all the facts, I wish Phillip well. The guy has lost everything, whatever one may think of him, and I hope he eventually finds peace in his life somewhere.

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - UTVLifer - 27-05-2023

Yeah, I think it's getting very close to the point where ITV are going to have to call a formal investigation, with the Daily Mail suggesting that they've got more to come on this, as well as Eamonn pouring more petrol onto the fire at every opportunity 

https://twitter.com/eamonnholmes/status/1662216829740388352?s=61&t=9PSUu8dUPDOGotmQBtN_ig 

Meanwhile, ITV will right now also be trying to hastily book a new host for the Soap Awards next Saturday (for TX the following week). I'd place a bet on it either being someone from the daytime roster (maybe someone like Alison or Kate Garraway, Stephen Mulhern or Joel Dommett

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Andrew - 27-05-2023

What parts of the format do you think should be changed?

I’m also not sure new opening titles and a new set would satisfy twitter and the tabloids

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - JMT1985 - 27-05-2023

This Morning will learn to be less reliant on a duo presenting team - putting all your money into one duo, where ego will increase once they get power will cause the same problems as we have seen here between Holly and Phil.

Not having the duo in the opening title sequence, and maybe splitting This Morning presentation into a Monday to Wednesday for one duo, and then a rota of guest presenters to take Thursdays and Fridays, bringing in more selection of hosts, especially as we near the weekend.