Pres Café
Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect (/showthread.php?tid=452)

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Andrew - 27-05-2023

Dan obviously wants to bring down Carolyn McCall because she is quote “Uber woke with left wing ideology”

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - UTVLifer - 27-05-2023

What I will say is that, putting aside the stuff about his exit from Lorraine, if even just 10% of what Wootton is saying about the Schofield mess in his article, the ITV management have some serious questions to answer about what is beginning to sound like a cover-up operation from the higher ups who were under pressure from Phil's agents

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - AaronTV - 27-05-2023

A very difficult situation for ITV and others at This Morning - if rumours of something potentially untoward has been reported to you as an employer, but the two people allegedly involved flatly deny it and no evidence to the contrary appears, there isn’t a huge amount you can actually do. Sacking people based on rumour alone is a very dangerous path to start wondering down.

The suggestions that Holly should now have to quit because of Schofield’s actions or that the show is going to be axed are ridiculous. It would be in ITV and Holly’s interest to clarify the timeline, however, whether that’s directly or indirectly.

Evidently the version of the situation that Holly’s camp wants us to know is that she discovered the news and threatened to leave over it if Schofield did not, having previously been told by Schofield personally that the rumours were incorrect.

What we don’t know is when Holly and ITV learnt of what we learnt yesterday - was Schofield’s departure ultimately because of the fall out speculation as was claimed at the time, or because it was clear to everyone involved that the affair story was in fact true and going to come out sooner rather than later?

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - EJnutz - 27-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 07:23 PM)Keith Wrote:  
(27-05-2023, 07:04 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  No. ITV management whitewashed.  There is plenty of evidence online that prove this was not just gossip.  What is annoying to some people is the fact ITV now claims Oh wait we didn't really know.
It's worth noting that Dan Wootton has now posted on Mail online his account, which includes why he left ITV in 2009. If all of what he wrote is true it rather contradicts ITV's denials. Ref: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12131515/DAN-WOOTTON-told-ITV-Schofields-affair-2019-followed-looks-like-cover-up.html 

Dan Wootton is not the most reliable of sources. He just likes the sound of his own voice.

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Brekkie - 27-05-2023

"If" being the key word there.

I think Martin Frizell will almost certainly be sacrificed considering he was reported to be leaving anyway and has overall responsibility for the show. I guess ITV probably have an exec who oversees the daytime line up too who is probably in the firing line too - though there is the danger holding them somewhat accountable goes against the company line.

It is worth noting though HR is a nightmare in these situations - you need far more evidence than rumours on Twitter or within the workplace, you need to consider whether such relationships are a breech of the written employment contract and you also need to consider the protected characteristics of those involved.

Axing a gay man with an otherwise exemplary work record because of rumours he was having a relationship with a colleague which would not be in breech of their contract of employment would be difficult to defend at an employment tribunal.

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Humphrey Hacker - 27-05-2023

There's still a great deal of speculation and rumours surrounding this situation. We still don't know the full story so I suggest we be careful as not to say anything that could be used later, (we simply don't know who reads these posts).

The notion that This Morning could be axed is ludicrous. As I said in the closed thread the show has been a bulwark of ITV's morning coverage for 35 years and has survived scandals and presenter changes before but I do think that the upcoming summer break will be used by ITV to start a root and branch before of the show.

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - iloveTV1 - 27-05-2023

TVZone confirming that the show will air as normal this week.

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Andrew - 27-05-2023

iloveTV1 Wrote:TVZone confirming that the show will air as normal this week.

Do they have a source or have they just looked in the Radio Times?

I get the feeling TV Zone often just reports stuff that is in the public domain, but with authority

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - EJnutz - 27-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 07:46 PM)Andrew Wrote:  
iloveTV1 Wrote:TVZone confirming that the show will air as normal this week.

Do they have a source or have they just looked in the Radio Times?

I get the feeling TV Zone often just reports stuff that is in the public domain, but with authority

TVZone are quoting an ITV spokesperson

RE: Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect - Brekkie - 27-05-2023

Non-comment from Dermot earlier.

https://youtu.be/eSMybbCN5Oo 

Eamonn seems to be changing his tune slightly from giving the impression everyone knew to that he and Ruth were lied too and they believed him.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/eamonn-holmes-phillip-schofield-ruth-langsford-b2346924.html 

(27-05-2023, 07:52 PM)EJnutz Wrote:  
(27-05-2023, 07:46 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Do they have a source or have they just looked in the Radio Times?

TVZone are quoting an ITV spokesperson
It was never in doubt.  Most of those on the attack were on the attack already - there are also plenty of comments on articles on Facebook at least who can separate Phil from the show and don't feel it is fair to tar everyone with the same brush.

Yes, I think they'll need to tackle it head on and do more than summarise things over 30 seconds, but essentially the best way to do that is to read the statements certainly from Phil and ITV then proceed without comment.