Pres Café
C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes (/showthread.php?tid=457)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Brekkie - 16-06-2023

(16-06-2023, 09:16 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I am dreading looking at this thread now to see what else Channel 4 will axe - what next? Steph's Packed Lunch gone? People had written that show off in it's first week on air in 2020, but now in 2023 it's still there, is it doing well?
It's commissioned through to the end of the year.  It doesn't rate spectacularly but it ticks some boxes for them and just got a half hour extension so even in the current climate I think it'll get at least another year.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - DAL1189 - 16-06-2023

I think Channel 4 bringing back something like the old Paul O'Grady show could be an interesting way to take the idea of Steph's packed lunch and offer something alternative at a time when its usually just gameshows then soaps

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - JMT1985 - 16-06-2023

In a way Steph's show is a sort of Paul O'Grady Show scaled down - I doubt Channel 4 will want to put more money into an audience based type show like Paul had in daytime ever again.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - TJTSW - 17-06-2023

Maybe they need to rethink some crazy out there tongue and cheek shows like Eurotrash, as I used to wtch this as an middle aged teen back in the day as it was soo whacky you had to watch it each week ~ Im sure they did do a couple more episodes a few years later,

I dont think they need to revive Eurotrash, but maybe come up with a format for todays audience a bit like that?

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Brekkie - 17-06-2023

More fun than factual would be most welcome. Would be good if they could make that Thursday 9pm slot entertainment focused all year round so outside of Taskmaster put things like Catsdown and I Literally Just Told You There, or shows like the new Chris McCausland travel show there rather than at 10pm. Switching from Taskmaster in the slot one week to a documentary about the pill the next week is just telling the audience to stay away till the autumn.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - JMT1985 - 17-06-2023

We need more comedy on Channel 4 - they have done so well with Derry Girls, but since that is over we need a new big comedy hit. I am happy to see Big Boys is currently filming their second series, but we need a lot more like this from Channel 4, especially on a Friday night.

Friday nights was when Channel 4 was really at it's best - remember this was where they placed Graham Norton with So Graham Norton at 10.30pm and also where Father Ted was placed.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - XIII - 17-06-2023

(17-06-2023, 08:08 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  More fun than factual would be most welcome.  Would be good if they could make that Thursday 9pm slot entertainment focused all year round so outside of Taskmaster put things like Catsdown and I Literally Just Told You There, or shows like the new Chris McCausland travel show there rather than at 10pm.  Switching from Taskmaster in the slot one week to a documentary about the pill the next week is just telling the audience to stay away till the autumn.

Entertainment costs more than factual. All year round is not going to happen.

(17-06-2023, 08:58 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  We need more comedy on Channel 4 - they have done so well with Derry Girls, but since that is over we need a new big comedy hit. I am happy to see Big Boys is currently filming their second series, but we need a lot more like this from Channel 4, especially on a Friday night.

Friday nights was when Channel 4 was really at it's best - remember this was where they placed Graham Norton with So Graham Norton at 10.30pm and also where Father Ted was placed.

They still produce some good stuff but it can find itself on any night of the week (well, except Fridays) and often gets burnt off in double bills.  Everyone Else Burns was on Mondays, The Curse on Thursdays,  The Change is coming up on Wednesdays and then last year you had Derry Girls on Tuesdays.   

If they could stick to Thursdays for example and run something new at 10pm then rerun the likes of Derry Girls at 10.30pm that would ensure viewers know where to find it.  The content is already being commissioned, it's the art of scheduling that's been lost - and yes it may be less important in these days of streaming but it's not something that should be completely forgotten.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - orange - 17-06-2023

I really do miss Friday nights on 4, especially in the summer - without falling into the trap of being nostalgic for nostalgia’s sake or viewing things with rose tinted glasses it was really the place to be, especially with comedy. I would really love something like that again.

It’s quite naff now - all it ever seems to be is Gogglebox limping on and the novelty of that wore off for me long long long ago. I think they need to take a look at what used to make them so special and try and recapture that a bit to make them more of a destination again - I know it’s the “era of streaming” and that’s seemingly why they don’t do too much of it now - but binge watching has gotten old, I literally just want something to pop on and enjoy now.

Yes, Gogglebox has gone from 2x12 part series to 2x16 + 8xCeleb, so 40 eps a year. Frustrating but understandable given it rates but I do rarely watch now, although enjoy it when I do.

Surprised they've never done a Gogglebox Gold spin-off watching archive TV - would have been good to have them watching some early 80s content for C4's 40th.