Pres Café
C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes (/showthread.php?tid=457)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - JMT1985 - 17-06-2023

(17-06-2023, 03:42 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Yes, Gogglebox has gone from 2x12 part series to 2x16 + 8xCeleb, so 40 eps a year.  Frustrating but understandable given it rates but I do rarely watch now, although enjoy it when I do.

Surprised they've never done a Gogglebox Gold spin-off watching archive TV - would have been  good to have them watching some early 80s content for C4's 40th.

Rights payment issues might be problematic for an archive Googlebox.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Brekkie - 17-06-2023

Yes - you'd expect them to do it properly rather than the YouTube clips some shows rely on.

More drama, whether UK or US, would be nice in the schedules just to give the 10pm slot some regular content which bring people to the chanbel weekly. The trouble of late is that 10pm drama on C4 or More4 rarely stays there for long before getting bumped to 11pm or midnight, often with a Gogglebox or 24 Hours in A&E repeat filling the slot instead.

I see they've Dr Death, a new drama with Christian Slater and Joshua Jackson, beginning on Tuesday at 10pm - haven't seen it advertised at all and I've little faith it'll still be in the slot by the second half of the series.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - tellyblues - 17-06-2023

(17-06-2023, 02:21 AM)TJTSW Wrote:  Maybe they need to rethink some crazy out there tongue and cheek shows like Eurotrash, as I used to wtch this as an middle aged teen back in the day as it was soo whacky you had to watch it each week ~ Im sure they did do a couple more episodes a few years later,

I dont think they need to revive Eurotrash, but maybe come up with a format for todays audience a bit like that?

I don't know what production was like for Eurotrash in terms of how filming was done but there's a chance that sending crews all over the place would be deemed too expensive. The common thing nowadays is to book one studio, get the talent there and film an entire series in a day because that's what is cheap, but with multiple competition formats and every other type of show doing the same, TV feels generic.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Larry the Loafer - 18-06-2023

I suppose it's a little harder to shock/amuse/entertain with a show like Eurotrash nowadays with the internet and such. I don't think it would hurt Channel 4 to take inspiration from previous successes though, as proven with Late Night Lycett. I know it's harder not to fall into the mainstream with so much competition, but I do feel like Channel 4 could really do with finding its identity again - it's all very well being #altogetherdifferent but I think the promos do more to help that cause than the programming itself.

At the end of the day, what can Channel 4 do that the other networks and streamers can't/won't?

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - all new phil - 18-06-2023

Honestly I think there’s such a disconnect these days between what the channel claims to be and reality. I’m not really sure what alternative they are providing.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Brekkie - 18-06-2023

"Born Risky" but currently having a mid-life crisis.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - AaronLancs - 18-06-2023

(18-06-2023, 01:37 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  "Born Risky" but currently having a mid-life crisis.

And facing an ever existential threat to it being left to its own devices which seemed to have worked beforehand.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - orange - 18-06-2023

Originally meant to post this in here a few hours ago but I think the humidity is making me delirious…

Watching the new series of Black Mirror right now - C4 must feel a little sick every time a new one comes around… What an absolute fumble that was.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - JMT1985 - 18-06-2023

(18-06-2023, 08:27 PM)orange Wrote:  Originally meant to post this in here a few hours ago but I think the humidity is making me delirious…

Watching the new series of Black Mirror right now - C4 must feel a little sick every time a new one comes around… What an absolute fumble that was.

How did they lose that show to Netflix?

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Brekkie - 18-06-2023

Sounds like it was more an issue of micro-management than cash which saw them proceed with Netflix alone as C4 basically kept rejecting his episode ideas and wouldn't fund them and then wanted creative control when he struck a co-financing arrangement with Netflix.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/charlie-brooker-black-mirror-channel-4-netflix-b2347329.html