Pres Café
C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes (/showthread.php?tid=457)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Brekkie - 24-06-2023

(24-06-2023, 12:42 PM)James2001 Wrote:  TOWIE is another major one of their as well. Could easily see why ITV would want full control of that.

I doubt TOWIE is even considered that important now.   Suspect many fans of the early years probably don't realise it's still going.

Whilst I don't think this deal is good for the industry AFAIK the only show that transferred to ITV from another channel after purchasing the producer is The Voice - and even that was probably more down to circumstances.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Jon - 24-06-2023

(24-06-2023, 12:03 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  Buying the production company would probably mean Gogglebox switching channels when the current contract is up - like how the BBC lost The Voice to ITV after ITV bought the company that owned that show. It's not good news for Channel 4 if that sale happens.
I think it could mean the opposite it’s not a good look for ITVs production companies to give the impression ITV will just steel any programme  they make if it’s popular enough. Other broadcasters will just stop commissions shows from them. 

Besides it’ll all come what makes the production company the most money.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Gary Baldy - 26-06-2023

I also think if Gogglebox moved channel, a lot of the fan favourite Goggleboxers wouldn’t follow it to its new home. Plus the show doesn’t have that ITV “feel” to it, it just feels very Channel 4. I even think the BBC would be a better home for it than ITV, but C4 is perfect for it. I do agree though it takes up too many Fridays now, that really could use some more comedy. Look at C4 Fridays in the 90s compared to now and it’s kind of sad. I love Gogglebox but it needs to cut down on its episodes- especially since some weeks you can tell they’re short on content because the TV’s been a bit crap, most notably in the celebrity series because summer schedules- they’ve tried working their way around that on the last series or two by including more shows from streamers, but I’m not a fan of that approach personally.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - JMT1985 - 26-06-2023

Maybe if we look at the current situation with Channel 4 programming, we can take a different view, and see these cutbacks as a chance now for the channel to bring in fresh new shows. Also to give more chance to new shows such as Late Night Lycett which I see has a large potential for being a very strong show. They barely gave it a chance, a handful of shows and now a long wait until the Christmas special in December (already filmed)

Comedy is where Channel 4 need a good kick up the arse. When need more comedy - they had a great hit with Derry Girls which is now over, they have a very decent hit with Big Boys which is now filming it's second series, but we do need a lot more, not just comedy, but comedy drama, new panel shows, new satire.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Gary Baldy - 26-06-2023

(26-06-2023, 09:55 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Maybe if we look at the current situation with Channel 4 programming, we can take a different view, and see these cutbacks as a chance now for the channel to bring in fresh new shows. Also to give more chance to new shows such as Late Night Lycett which I see has a large potential for being a very strong show. They barely gave it a chance, a handful of shows and now a long wait until the Christmas special in December (already filmed)

Comedy is where Channel 4 need a good kick up the arse. When need more comedy - they had a great hit with Derry Girls which is now over, they have a very decent hit with Big Boys which is now filming it's second series, but we do need a lot more, not just comedy, but comedy drama, new panel shows, new satire.

There was a panel show with the Richardsons in the 9pm slot back in January but it was a bit crap really. Also in the wrong timeslot- it felt like an 11pm slot- do C4 even commission for 11 anymore?

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - AndyB2008 - 26-06-2023

(26-06-2023, 09:55 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Maybe if we look at the current situation with Channel 4 programming, we can take a different view, and see these cutbacks as a chance now for the channel to bring in fresh new shows. Also to give more chance to new shows such as Late Night Lycett which I see has a large potential for being a very strong show. They barely gave it a chance, a handful of shows and now a long wait until the Christmas special in December (already filmed)

C4 could have aired the Popmaster quiz post Countdown for a quiz show block, given the publicity around Ken Bruce.

Instead it's airing at 8pm across this week on More4 (was it intended to be weekly, and C4 decided to reformat it due to Wimbledon the following week?) and I've not seen much promo.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - VMPhil - 26-06-2023

Stripping it nightly seems to have been the intention from the start as Ken mentioned it in his intro.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Brekkie - 26-06-2023

Certain irony about them airing "Altogether Different" promos during a quiz show based on a Radio 2 format.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - JMT1985 - 26-06-2023

I believe Channel 4 are simply testing the water with the new Ken Bruce show, if it gains decent More4 viewers, if there is a new series, it could move to Channel 4, however More4 is probably a better home, suited to that type of audience than on Channel 4. More4 does need some new home produced programmes, and not all repeats or imports.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - tellyblues - 27-06-2023

If PopMaster is recommissioned for a longer run (currently it's only six episodes), it would make far more sense to have five shows running Mon-Fri rather than what it is now and the final ending up on the Monday. Maybe it was meant to air on Saturday and they've moved it but if not then it would be messy starting a new game on a Tuesday.