Pres Café
C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes (/showthread.php?tid=457)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - bilky asko - 27-06-2023

(26-06-2023, 08:41 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Stripping it nightly seems to have been the intention from the start as Ken mentioned it in his intro.

Though the ending was a little generic - I would have expected "see you tomorrow" instead of "see you next time" (or words to that effect).

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Brekkie - 27-06-2023

Six eps across a week isn't too unusual, though usually in such cases the final would play at the weekend. I suspect it'll get a repeat outing on C4 at some point too, probably weekly in a late afternoon weekend slot.

For me it's yet another game show format which suffers for being stretched to an hour. Half an hour with 3 contestants with 9 heats, 3 semis and a final would work well - then if stripped daily can stick a couple of celeb eps to take it to 15 eps.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - tellyblues - 27-06-2023

No to celeb eps, for me anyway. Too much of that goes on. The show itself is better than The Hit List which I find too repetitive.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - VMPhil - 27-06-2023

(26-06-2023, 08:53 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Certain irony about them airing "Altogether Different" promos during a quiz show based on a Radio 2 format.

I don't think that's really fair. Countdown was their first programme and they've always shown programmes that perhaps aren't on the bleeding edge of the alternative but still feel unmistakably Channel 4 or even just British (which is what those promos are pointing out). It's not even on the main channel, it's on More4 which skews older anyway. Maybe if it was on at a classic C4 time like Fridays at 10pm you'd have a point, but it's not.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Kim Wexler’s Ponytail - 27-06-2023

(27-06-2023, 09:55 AM)VMPhil Wrote:  I don't think that's really fair. Countdown was their first programme and they've always shown programmes that perhaps aren't on the bleeding edge of the alternative but still feel unmistakably Channel 4 or even just British (which is what those promos are pointing out). It's not even on the main channel, it's on More4 which skews older anyway. Maybe if it was on at a classic C4 time like Fridays at 10pm you'd have a point, but it's not.

I thought of 'Altogether Different' when I saw an ad for 'Air Fryers; are they worth it?' (with Denise Van Outen).

(27-06-2023, 10:45 AM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  I thought of 'Altogether Different' when I saw an ad for 'Air Fryers; are they worth it?' (with Denise Van Outen).

Your point? Channel 4 are well known for their food programming.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Kim Wexler’s Ponytail - 27-06-2023

(27-06-2023, 10:51 AM)VMPhil Wrote:  Your point? Channel 4 are well known for their food programming.

It's a show that could've been lifted straight from Channel 5 or any other channel. There was nothing remotley ''different'', or ''channel 4'', about it. It was about as generic as you can get.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Jon - 27-06-2023

I think it’s pointless pulling out individual programme examples, there has probably always been individual programmes that would likely appeared on any other channel and there has to be commercially attractive shows in order for them more to be able to do more risky stuff.

Now the lack of the more risky is another matter.

(27-06-2023, 08:26 AM)bilky asko Wrote:  Though the ending was a little generic - I would have expected "see you tomorrow" instead of "see you next time" (or words to that effect).
Yes, it’s possible Bruce recorded more than one intro in case of possible different scenarios or where it would go. Although I’m sure they would have had an idea.

(27-06-2023, 11:32 AM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  It's a show that could've been lifted straight from Channel 5 or any other channel. There was nothing remotley ''different'', or ''channel 4'', about it. It was about as generic as you can get.

Perhaps, but as Jon says, it's not really fair to pick out one programme and it was hardly billed as their big primetime event of the night.

I've enjoyed lots Channel 4 has done in the last few years- they've certainly done as much or if not more comedy that I've enjoyed than the BBC - The Windors and Stath Lets Flats come to mind as a very Channel 4 shows which I absolutely loved.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - tellyblues - 27-06-2023

Channel 4 are always going to be under more scrutiny for what they commission compared to other broadcasters but it can be argued that the documentary fulfilled the remit. The title may sound trashy but you want something to stand out on the EPG so people will watch it, which they did.