Pres Café
C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes (/showthread.php?tid=457)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Brekkie - 21-01-2024

In theory though Bake Off pays for itself - it's only if it's loss making would it be worthwhile axing the show and reinvesting into new content. If it's profitable they should be getting the money back they invest in it and more to invest in new content.

Agree the Professional version could go. The Junior version seems to get quite well received - not sure how it rates at 5pm but could be reworked into primetime I guess if needed, though would likely need to change it's format if weekly. Surprised too they've never introduced a mini Christmas Bake Off series to directly follow from the main series - that would make more sense for C4 to run sommething throughout December rather than just air Christmas/New Year editions, which don't seem to get traction.

I know the BBC did a similar show but based more around cooking than baking, with Mary Berry as a judge, but was that from the Love stable - or was that one of the shows that saw Love lose patience with the BBC and head to C4? I'm quite surprised there hasn't been a "Great British Cook Off" spin-off really, though not sure that would work as well visually as the makes on Bake Off.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Hybrid - 21-01-2024

(21-01-2024, 12:28 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Think you’re pretty spot on here. Channel 4 constantly tells us it takes risks and is edgy, but outside the Russell Brand doc I can’t think of anything over the past 12 months that fits that description.

To be fair, there is Partygate, The Miracle Meat mockumentary and Naked Education, things that I don’t think would dream of commissioning.

The problem is you have to get through the piles of airfryer and supermarket docs to find these.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - ACTV - 21-01-2024

(21-01-2024, 12:12 PM)cando Wrote:  I'm pretty sure C4 signed a new deal for Gogglebox last year. There was rumours on here and in the industry that Studio Lambert got a hefty increase per episode as ITV was supposedly very interested.

Wasn't it the case that Channel 4 thrown in an extra commission from Studio Lambert as part of the deal to fight off ITV from getting Gogglebox? That commission of course ended up being Rise and Fall which after low ratings and a poor reception, is now one of the major factors (along with the football rights) behind C4 being in the state it is now.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Kunst - 21-01-2024

Naked Education is one of those things that show it's better not to push things too far sometimes Big Grin

Said that, it'd definitely be a huge loss, did C4 lose Bake Off now, I don't think it's that likely

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Reith85 - 21-01-2024

(21-01-2024, 01:00 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  In theory though Bake Off pays for itself - it's only if it's loss making would it be worthwhile axing the show and reinvesting into new content. If it's profitable they should be getting the money back they invest in it and more to invest in new content.

Agree the Professional version could go. The Junior version seems to get quite well received - not sure how it rates at 5pm but could be reworked into primetime I guess if needed, though would likely need to change it's format if weekly. Surprised too they've never introduced a mini Christmas Bake Off series to directly follow from the main series - that would make more sense for C4 to run sommething throughout December rather than just air Christmas/New Year editions, which don't seem to get traction.

I know the BBC did a similar show but based more around cooking than baking, with Mary Berry as a judge, but was that from the Love stable - or was that one of the shows that saw Love lose patience with the BBC and head to C4? I'm quite surprised there hasn't been a "Great British Cook Off" spin-off really, though not sure that would work as well visually as the makes on Bake Off.

No, Britain's Best Home Cook was made by KEO / Endemol. Its first series aired in 2018, after Bake Off had moved to Channel 4, and as an alternative Mary Berry vehicle on the BBC. It performed poorly ratings-wise, returned as Best Home Cook in 2020 and 2021, before being put out of its misery in 2022.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - orange - 21-01-2024

It is rather sad that it has gone from “Born Risky” to “Please don’t take Gogglebox away from us”. I love Channel 4 a lot but there really hasn’t been anything much drawing me to them at the moment. The amount of the channel that now hangs in hopes that the usual Gogglebox and Bake Off crowd keep tuning in is a bit bleak and it feels like they’re just throwing things at the wall at moment and hoping something sticks. Something needs to change.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Brekkie - 21-01-2024

If only they'd signed the deal six months earlier and had had The Traitors thrown in instead. That does feel very C4, but very thankful it's ad-free on the BBC as it's perfectly paced at a full hour.

Gogglebox dominating Friday nights is part of the reason comedy has suffered to an extent - it's still there and getting commissioned but getting thrown around the schedule, but Big Boys is very C4 (and like the big C4 hits, more mainstream than you might first think) and easily the best comedy since Derry Girls.

As much as I'd like less Gogglebox on our screens now (it's gone from a weekly watch to something I'll watch if nothing else is on now) I do think there are potential spin-offs there with "Gogglebox Globe" looking at TV around the world and "Gogglebox Gold" kind of doing what those Grace Dent BBC4 shows did and looking back at TV from specific years. For me personally I'd find that more interesting now than just more episodes reviewing current TV which have become a bit routine.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - cando - 21-01-2024

(21-01-2024, 01:10 PM)orange Wrote:  It is rather sad that it has gone from “Born Risky” to “Please don’t take Gogglebox away from us”. I love Channel 4 a lot but there really hasn’t been anything much drawing me to them at the moment. The amount of the channel that now hangs in hopes that the usual Gogglebox and Bake Off crowd keep tuning in is a bit bleak and it feels like they’re just throwing things at the wall at moment and hoping something sticks. Something needs to change.

Taskmaster ( poached from Dave) seems to never be off air.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - ACTV - 21-01-2024

(21-01-2024, 01:11 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  If only they'd signed the deal six months earlier and had had The Traitors thrown in instead. That does feel very C4, but very thankful it's ad-free on the BBC as it's perfectly paced at a full hour.

Gogglebox dominating Friday nights is part of the reason comedy has suffered to an extent - it's still there and getting commissioned but getting thrown around the schedule, but Big Boys is very C4 (and like the big C4 hits, more mainstream than you might first think) and easily the best comedy since Derry Girls.

As much as I'd like less Gogglebox on our screens now (it's gone from a weekly watch to something I'll watch if nothing else is on now) I do think there are potential spin-offs there with "Gogglebox Globe" looking at TV around the world and "Gogglebox Gold" kind of doing what those Grace Dent BBC4 shows did and looking back at TV from specific years. For me personally I'd find that more interesting now than just more episodes reviewing current TV which have become a bit routine.

Channel 4 certainly should try more with Friday nights, it seems they have lost all interest in trying anything new on the night aside and is now just a constant loop of Gogglebox, The Last Leg and anything involving Jimmy Carr, a far cry from the late-90s when it was anchored by the likes of Friends, Frasier, South Park, TFI Friday, Father Ted and eventually by the 00s the Big Brother eviction show, and that's just scratching the surface. As has been proven over the last few weeks, if a programme is good enough, given a decent level of promotion and scheduled correctly, it will pay off.

Shows like Big Boys would certainly freshen up Friday nights either at 9 or 10pm, and maybe they could try out more new British comedy there. I've always thought Taskmaster might be worth a try to add into the Friday 9pm rotation with Gogglebox and Catsdown (ideally some other shows added in too.) Just relatively small steps like that would stop it from feeling endlessly stale and repetitive, and give it an actual buzz.

Altogether I cannot see any of this innovation coming under the current leadership of C4 who only seem to value Bake Off, Gogglebox and to a lesser extent MAFS and Naked Attraction. I think Katz's departure is long overdue now.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - ckck1704 - 21-01-2024

Tbh the traitors seems very channel 4 to me. I won't be surprised if they poach that from the bbc in the future.