Pres Café
C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes (/showthread.php?tid=457)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Allanbuzzy - 29-01-2024

When they say they're "altogether different", my first thought isn't Rise and Fall, though you could definitely argue that with it's title being symbolic of what's happened to the broadcaster.

C4 really has faltered with it's spending. I feel like under the pressure of the previous culture secretary has made them feel concious about being "up to date" and "in with the times" that they've been trying to catch up to the likes of Netflix. Even though, like all streamers right now, they're feeling the squeeze and are now downsizing and/or creating ad-supported tiers for their platforms.

Baffles me why they spent money on football rights or local offices when the budget is not there for it. Closing underutilised channels like 4seven and the Box channels probably will subsidide the cost, but that's pennies in the ocean in comparison to how much the broadcaster needs to make each year.

Mahon definitely needs to go.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Keith - 29-01-2024

(29-01-2024, 03:47 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  Baffles me why they spent money on football rights or local offices when the budget is not there for it.
The local offices was arguably an attempt to prevent the government / culture secretary from forcing privatisation upon Channel 4, as it coincidentally fitted in with the government's 'levelling up agenda'. Longer term employing people for these sites should be cheaper, compared to salaries which presumably reflect the higher costs of living in London.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - XIII - 29-01-2024

(29-01-2024, 03:47 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  When they say they're "altogether different", my first thought isn't Rise and Fall, though you could definitely argue that with it's title being symbolic of what's happened to the broadcaster.

C4 really has faltered with it's spending. I feel like under the pressure of the previous culture secretary has made them feel concious about being "up to date" and "in with the times" that they've been trying to catch up to the likes of Netflix. Even though, like all streamers right now, they're feeling the squeeze and are now downsizing and/or creating ad-supported tiers for their platforms.

Baffles me why they spent money on football rights or local offices when the budget is not there for it. Closing underutilised channels like 4seven and the Box channels probably will subsidide the cost, but that's pennies in the ocean in comparison to how much the broadcast needs to make each year.

Mahon definitely needs to go.

Not just Alex Mahon, Ian Katz as well.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - tellyblues - 29-01-2024

Looking elsewhere, there seems to have been a build-up of dislike for Katz not just because of Channel 4's predicament but also someone in the industry mouthing off because they feel put out by him for some strange reason.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - orange - 29-01-2024

I’m all for the digital future of TV and yet the phrase “public service streamer” still made me feel a bit ill.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - eyeTV - 29-01-2024

The PSB's don't have a requirement to actually provide a streaming service do they? It's a commercial decision they've made isn't it? Their licences are for broadcast only? So there is no such thing as a Public Service Streamer?

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Brekkie - 29-01-2024

Nothing unexpected there but not convinced the people in charge really grasp the companies strength. Nobody is fooled by the "digital first" narrative anymore which always cones with PSB job cuts.

The main pledge seems to be to double the C4+ users, a crowded market where they're already doing so bad even if they double the audience they'll still be doing bad.

Always felt though they axed the All4 brand because it was promoted as "all for free, forever" and to grow C4+ they needed to abandon that pledge.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - nwtv2003 - 29-01-2024

It’s a baffling strategy believing people will pay a legacy FTA broadcaster a monthly fee to watch without adverts. You watch Channel 4, you expect adverts. It didn’t work for ITV Hub+, at least now with ITVX Premium combining BritBox you’re getting more for the fee you’re paying. Surely marketing themselves as the UK’s biggest free streaming service is enough of a selling point? It will be interesting to see if any other programmes will be dropped or cut back even further. I’m surprised Hollyoaks is still a thing, even with a ‘digital first’ strategy.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Technologist - 29-01-2024

(29-01-2024, 07:36 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  The PSB's don't have a requirement to actually provide a streaming service do they? It's a commercial decision they've made isn't it? Their licences are for broadcast only? So there is no such thing as a Public Service Streamer?
Only the BBC is a public broadcaster for catch up or streamer etc …
As the commercial PSB only have to emit their (single),channels

But because all4 is not regulated /inhibited as IPlayer has been
all4 is a bigger streaming service by number of programmes

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - tellyblues - 05-02-2024

Now Screw has been axed.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/02/05/backlash-channel-4-axes-popular-drama-two-series-20224649/ 

Also read today that there is a series each of Travelman and Catsdown which C4 are sitting on.