Pres Café
C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes (/showthread.php?tid=457)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - XIII - 06-02-2024

Richard Osman mentioned on his podcast about the relationship between indies and Channel 4 have softened in recent times which wasn't surprising to hear given I've seen comments about it here and elsewhere.

I get the sense if Katz and/or Mahon were to leave Channel 4, the sentiment would be good riddance rather than goodbye.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Ash101 - 06-02-2024

(05-02-2024, 07:35 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Also read today that there is a series each of Travelman and Catsdown which C4 are sitting on.

I'm sure there's some logic to sitting on these things, but I'm not quite sure what it is!

Catsdown seemed to air only 2 or 3 brand new normal episodes in 2023 (one of the runs was basically a 1 new and 2 best bits episodes). They've aired more new episodes in 2024 already and we're only 5 weeks in.

I notice with things like Hunted and SAS they seem to film up to a year+ ahead...which doesn't always give them the best return as celebrities end up on other shows first (see Matt Hancock on IAC).

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Brekkie - 06-02-2024

No surprise about Screw - they are just struggling to find an audience for their scripted content however excellent it is. Even Big Boys, so widely praised, is struggling well below 1m viewers (not even in the Thinkbox Top 50, but guess that excludes advance viewing) - hoping that does get a third series as it's clearly a three-act story.

Catsdown is odd, and they don't seem to be in order. I think C4 have essentially taken it down to one series a year instead of two and still are a series ahead. Is Joe Lycett still the Travelman?

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - tellyblues - 06-02-2024

(06-02-2024, 03:04 PM)XIII Wrote:  Richard Osman mentioned on his podcast about the relationship between indies and Channel 4 have softened in recent times which wasn't surprising to hear given I've seen comments about it here and elsewhere.

I get the sense if Katz and/or Mahon were to leave Channel 4, the sentiment would be good riddance rather than goodbye.

That would be the reaction to any person currently in charge at a channel going. The animosity from production companies isn't exclusive to Channel 4. Those in the industry who have struggled for work in the last few years are blaming broadcasters at large, which is fair, but at some point people have to step back and ask if the content they were producing was good enough. Similarly, them not putting their foot down when glaring errors are made (e.g. the inability for anyone to make changes to bought-in formats, Wheel of Fortune etc) doesn't help their case.

It's ironic the crowing from both sides about The Traitors and Gladiators when neither of these are original works. Of course the money also isn't there to only make high-end entertainment shows (or maybe it would be if it was spent more wisely...) but that's what has to be done and everyone has to do better.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Brekkie - 06-02-2024

Yes, been much focus on C4 but fair to say the BBC and ITV have noticeably slowed down commissioning too and certain slots have been taken out of commission. The ITV primetime changes took put a half hour slot every weeknight which even if 2 out the 5 slots were repeats is the loss of around 24 six part half hour series a year.

C5 is considered to have buxked the trend ratings wise. I'm less familiar with their schedule but they seem quite reliant on one-off commissions alongside a few staples.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - XIII - 07-02-2024

Channel 5 has the advantage of privately owned but also they know what their audience wants and they give it to them.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Stuart - 07-02-2024

(07-02-2024, 01:08 AM)XIII Wrote:  Channel 5 has the advantage of privately owned but also they know what their audience wants and they give it to them.
C5 are no less privately owned that anyone other than the BBC/C4 as public corporations.

ITV and all other broadcasters have shareholders.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - thomalex - 07-02-2024

(29-01-2024, 08:42 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  It’s a baffling strategy believing people will pay a legacy FTA broadcaster a monthly fee to watch without adverts. You watch Channel 4, you expect adverts. It didn’t work for ITV Hub+, at least now with ITVX Premium combining BritBox you’re getting more for the fee you’re paying. Surely marketing themselves as the UK’s biggest free streaming service is enough of a selling point? It will be interesting to see if any other programmes will be dropped or cut back even further. I’m surprised Hollyoaks is still a thing, even with a ‘digital first’ strategy.

Exactly this. What Channel 4 need is the lowest barrier to entry possible, and a number of hit shows that draw people to their app.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - simpfeld - 07-02-2024

I have a horrible feeling that we could in the long term end up with a single large UK TV commercial entity.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Brekkie - 07-02-2024

(07-02-2024, 11:42 AM)thomalex Wrote:  Exactly this. What Channel 4 need is the lowest barrier to entry possible, and a number of hit shows that draw people to their app.
Feels like they really missed the boat on this and ITVX have basically got in first when it comes to the linear services. Agree they need more content that adds value - not sure what's happening to the Liongate+ content when they close but their content would fit well.

In terms of axed products have to wonder where 4Radio would be now if that had gone ahead given the huge growth in commercial radio over the last decade. Feels like short term savings 15 odd years ago cut off a future revenue stream.