Pres Café
C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes (/showthread.php?tid=457)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - orange - 10-02-2024

Best not mention to her the Changing Rooms and Big Breakfast reboots they did in the last few years then? Really odd high ground for her to be standing on and a very very flimsy one at that.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Brekkie - 10-02-2024

And a reboot feels like a bigger risk than sticking with decade old tired shows.

"60% new shows" can be spun as too many shows not getting past a first run either.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - TV Insider - 10-02-2024

(10-02-2024, 09:12 PM)iloveTV1 Wrote:  Would you rather she was crying instead?

What? Don't be ridiculous. You smile when things are good and remain neutral when things are bad. Every single interview picture on The Guardian reflects this basic PR rule: https://www.theguardian.com/tone/interview 

Or alternatively: decline the photoshoot and let them use stock images.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - XIII - 10-02-2024

Honestly her and Katz need to go. Get Ralph Lee to take over either role and things might turn around.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - ACTV - 10-02-2024

Tomorrow it's Grand Designs at 9pm, then First Dates at that time on Tuesday and on Friday, Channel 4's cash cows Gogglebox followed by The Last Leg.

As someone who enjoys Gogglebox I have to say that Channel 4 (particularly in primetime) is now just wallpaper TV, it's the same old stuff (Gogglebox, dating shows, lifestyle) over and over, nothing exciting or enticing, it's just… there and it always has been.

The 10pm slot is also used quite badly, wasted on repeats of Night Coppers (followed by 24 Hours in A&E, a show which I feel has long outstayed it's welcome) then Around the World in 80 Weighs, that Johnny Vegas glamping show and a Gogglebox double bill.

I'd argue that endlessly recommissioning and showing old, stale, tired and uninteresting shows in primetime all year around is much worse than bringing back classics. At least the likes of Gladiators and Big Brother can and have created buzz and excitement unlike the tedious and neverending cycle of Naked Attraction and 24 Hours in A&E.

Katz and Mahon need to jump before they are pushed, their strategy of making Channel 4 compete against BBC One rather than BBC Two is totally not the spirit of the channel and it is severely diluting their reputation.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - AndyB2008 - 10-02-2024

(10-02-2024, 10:58 PM)ACTV Wrote:  Tomorrow it's Grand Designs at 9pm, then First Dates at that time on Tuesday and on Friday, Channel 4's cash cows Gogglebox followed by The Last Leg.

As someone who enjoys Gogglebox I have to say that Channel 4 (particularly in primetime) is now just wallpaper TV, it's the same old stuff (Gogglebox, dating shows, lifestyle) over and over, nothing exciting or enticing, it's just… there and it always has been.

The 10pm slot is also used quite badly, wasted on repeats of Night Coppers (followed by 24 Hours in A&E, a show which I feel has long outstayed it's welcome) then Around the World in 80 Weighs, that Johnny Vegas glamping show and a Gogglebox double bill.

I'd argue that endlessly recommissioning and showing old, stale, tired and uninteresting shows in primetime all year around is much worse than bringing back classics. At least the likes of Gladiators and Big Brother can and have created buzz and excitement unlike the tedious and neverending cycle of Naked Attraction and 24 Hours in A&E.

Katz and Mahon need to jump before they are pushed, their strategy of making Channel 4 compete against BBC One rather than BBC Two is totally not the spirit of the channel and it is severely diluting their reputation.

First Dates looks like it's trying to chase younger audiences now what with ditching 79-year-old Brian Protheroe as narrator (although keeping Fred Sirieix) in favour of the younger Daisy May.

They had someone from the Traitors on there the other day.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - Brekkie - 10-02-2024

So many of the shows in the next week have been shuffled about the schedule too - considering how much they love to tell us they're "streaming first" you wouldn't think they'd be tinkering the schedule almost weekly.

Big Boys has been absolutely wasted on Sunday and although I've no doubt it's a genuine "streaming first" show a flagship show like that shouldn't be missing the channel top 50.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - msim - 10-02-2024

What do I think of with the current channel 4? A channel that exists on an endless rotation of 90s comedies, The Simpsons, Come Dine With Me, First Dates, Phil and Kirsty formats, Grand Designs, Countdown and the comedy versions of it, that food uncovered series and it's endless specials and list of presenters, Gogglebox, Bakeoff and First Dates. All of those are decade or decades old formats. As said, it's just wallpaper. Nothing creative or engaging. Just lacklustre, unimaginative and desperate.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - XIII - 10-02-2024

It surprised me at the time that Ian Katz was chosen to replace Jay Hunt because his only TV experience was editing Newsnight and I think for such a big job, you kind of need someone who has worked in TV commissioning , Ben Frow for example before his current job had worked for TV3/Virgin Media One, Channel 5 as head of factual and factual entertainment and before that head of features at Channel 4.

RE: C4 Programme Commissioning Woes - tellyblues - 11-02-2024

(10-02-2024, 09:00 PM)TV Insider Wrote:  Not sure it's a good idea to be smiling in photos after you've just fired 200 people and your company's future is this bleak.

Unfortunately this bizarre interview proves that Mahon is not the right person to lead Channel 4 at the moment. Pivoting to digital in 2024 is embarrassingly late. She should have begged the government to let Channel 4 make their own programming when she first started. They are in this situation because they failed to build their own IP.

"It's happening everywhere" - It's not happening at Sky and it's not happening at ITV.

That isn't true. All broadcasters are finding it difficult and cutting their cloths accordingly. Again, they can commission what they want (to a degree). Channel 4 cannot. ITV isn't awash with hits - the Boris Becker doc... My Mum Your Dad... which has been artificially ramped and lauded a success because of a couple of positive reviews and being given a second series, but it isn't a hit. Wheel of Fortune isn't getting anywhere near the numbers expected. Jeopardy's claim to fame is it is marginally better than Riddiculous.

There is so much wrong with Channel 4's programming at the moment and has been for a long time but if somebody offers up an alternative it's met with "can't do that... born risky... has to be new". The 90s and 00s had GamesMaster, TFI Friday and The Priory for young people but these wouldn't work now regardless of them not being "new" because that audience isn't watching linear and older viewers are set in their ways with shows on other channels. It's no guarantee for success and the ITV shows mentioned are proof of that but nothing in C4 primetime promotes the supposedly great comedies at all well. Who is tuning in to George Clarke or Kirsty and Phil that is the target audience for Big Boys? But what are the shows for young people that could air pre-watershed and be a success?