Pres Café
Wimbledon 2023 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Wimbledon 2023 (/showthread.php?tid=482)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - Omnipresent - 08-07-2023

Today at Wimbledon at 21:15 on BBC2 has been replaced by Champion:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl97/2023/07/08 

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - Andrew - 08-07-2023

If Clare Balding doesn’t make some sort of pun about the displaced programme being called Champion, I’ll be disappointed

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - RhysJR - 08-07-2023

(08-07-2023, 08:59 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  The 13.30 start on Centre Court doesn’t help. That should definitely be moved back to 13.00 next year. The experts say the grass is much slower then it used to be, maybe that’s contributing to longer match times.

Wimbledon also introduced a 30 minute break between matches on the big show courts for the social distanced 2021 event, but kept it after all the restrictions were lifted. This, along with the later 13:30 start means that an extra hour has been lost before a ball is hit on Centre Court. I guess this is good for the likes of the BBC with a higher likelihood of the show courts going to primetime, but also a lot higher chance of matches going close to the curfew.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - Brekkie - 08-07-2023

Once again live tennis on the red button relegated to the iPlayer in favour of Today at Wimbledon. That really is a baffling call. They're basically saying we're not showing the highlights on BBC1/2 because viewers prefer live tennis, but we'll cancel the alternative live tennis on the red button instead. It's great they're being produced but hold them back until the live action is finished. I guess they're also missing key results too.

The issue with matches continuing on the iPlayer is it's not as easy as a channel change to make the switch - even with the connected red button there is a bit of menu navigation required and a couple of prompts.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - dvboy - 08-07-2023

I wonder if there's some sort of technical reason that prevents Today at Wimbledon just going straight onto iPlayer only at 21:00, does it have to be played out to get on there (given it is an OB?)

It will be on BBC Two at 23:50 tonight although it could have easily been scheduled for 23:00 or even 22:00 in place of one of the Bee Gees programmes.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - RhysJR - 08-07-2023

(08-07-2023, 09:46 PM)dvboy Wrote:  I wonder if there's some sort of technical reason that prevents Today at Wimbledon just going straight onto iPlayer only at 21:00, does it have to be played out to get on there (given it is an OB?)

It will be on BBC Two at 23:50 tonight although it could have easily been scheduled for 23:00 or even 22:00 in place of one of the Bee Gees programmes.

Quite possibly. When I watched one of the editions on demand earlier in the week (Wednesday I think) it began with a few seconds of the coming up slide from the Red Button, so a dirty copy from what was shown live was uploaded. 

Saying that, that happens quite frequently across iPlayer - I watched a classic comedy a few weeks ago that had the BBC Four DOG in the corner and the BBC Four CA over the credits, when obviously a clean version exists in the BBC.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - Andrew - 08-07-2023

It seems that the change of format of Today at Wimbledon this year has solved one problem (the fact it hardly ever used to air) but has created other problems

Plan C is the one often suggested here, 10:35 on BBC One. At one time having even more Wimbledon coverage on BBC One leaving room for barely anything else would have caused complaints, but now with iPlayer being the main focus they don’t really care about that, and there is little of note after 10:35 anyway

I’d air it at that time, make it live, extend it to Midnight so they can fit in all the highlights plus interviews, analysis and a bit of fun, the same sort of format that ‘Today at the Games’ has

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - TIGHazard - 08-07-2023

(08-07-2023, 09:50 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Quite possibly. When I watched one of the editions on demand earlier in the week (Wednesday I think) it began with a few seconds of the coming up slide from the Red Button, so a dirty copy from what was shown live was uploaded. 

Saying that, that happens quite frequently across iPlayer - I watched a classic comedy a few weeks ago that had the BBC Four DOG in the corner and the BBC Four CA over the credits, when obviously a clean version exists in the BBC.

I don't think Steve Williams is on this forum (sorry if you are Steve!) but over on the previous places he's mentioned before that there are multiple routes to the iPlayer. But also metadata handling can be an issue, so a clean version of something can be uploaded, get stuck, and then iPlayer effectively has to treat it as a live programme.

Surely though Today at Wimbledon should be able to go directly to the iPlayer if the OB can put the direct court feeds on there!

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - XIII - 09-07-2023

(08-07-2023, 09:13 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Wimbledon also introduced a 30 minute break between matches on the big show courts for the social distanced 2021 event, but kept it after all the restrictions were lifted. This, along with the later 13:30 start means that an extra hour has been lost before a ball is hit on Centre Court. I guess this is good for the likes of the BBC with a higher likelihood of the show courts going to primetime, but also a lot higher chance of matches going close to the curfew.

Moving it back to 1pm and reducing the break to 15 minutes would help thing, the curfew is one thing that won't budge just because of where Wimbledon is located.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - newsjunkie - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 12:36 AM)XIII Wrote:  Moving it back to 1pm and reducing the break to 15 minutes would help thing, the curfew is one thing that won't budge just because of where Wimbledon is located.

Also, on the curfew. 11pm is pretty late to be finishing matches anyway. I know other tournaments go much later, but they often end up with a handful of people in the crowd (and that's with a night crowd that has only been there since 7/8pm in some cases). We also have to think of the players, it is not good for them either and the people who work at Wimbledon.

11pm is a more than reasonable time to call it a night. I would argue they should start (much) earlier and possibly extend the gaps between the matches further. It's tough for the crowd to sit there for often 10 hours straight so they end up missing key bits. And without a good crowd the atmosphere goes and the quality of tennis also seems to drop.