Pres Café
Wimbledon 2023 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Wimbledon 2023 (/showthread.php?tid=482)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - Brekkie - 09-07-2023

It's ridiculous London is sent to bed at 11pm. I do think Fri/Sat should be permitted to go to Midnight.

Ideally they'd now have a daytime session and evening session on the show courts starting at 7pm, but given how matches have gone this week even if they started at 11am with two matches some days they would have run past 7pm.
(08-07-2023, 10:16 PM)Andrew Wrote:  It seems that the change of format of Today at Wimbledon this year has solved one problem (the fact it hardly ever used to air) but has created other problems

Plan C is the one often suggested here, 10:35 on BBC One. At one time having even more Wimbledon coverage on BBC One leaving room for barely anything else would have caused complaints, but now with iPlayer being the main focus they don’t really care about that, and there is little of note after 10:35 anyway

I’d air it at that time, make it live, extend it to Midnight so they can fit in all the highlights plus interviews, analysis and a bit of fun, the same sort of format that ‘Today at the Games’ has
I think an hour is long enough especially if after the news. See The Sun etc. had their knives out for the new format cutting all the chatter etc. from it despite criticising in previous year (noteably the Wimbledon 2Day year) for not having enough highlights and too much waffle.

I'd probably say next year they should schedule live coverage 7-10pm on BBC1 and Today at Wimbledon at 10pm on BBC3 or 4, with a later repeat on BBC1 or 2.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - dvboy - 09-07-2023

The 11pm curfew is set by Merton council and considers the time it takes for spectators to leave the site and get to what public transport options are left at that time of day. A later finish would require a consultation and I expect the AELTC have no appetite to change it. Whether they start earlier or finish later, that's a longer shift for everyone working on the two main courts. It's good to know you're definitely finishing at a specific time at the latest, unlike at other tournaments.

As for the scheduling of Today at Wimbledon, I agree with Brekkie's suggestion of BBC3/4 at 10pm. If they are still playing at 10pm at most you're only delaying the news by an hour. I'm surprised they don't use BBC Three/Four more later in the day but they would probably be accused of not giving it the prominence it deserves.
In 2019 the women's doubles final was quickly shifted over to BBC Four (to make way for a new episode of Top Gear of all things) and not done very cleanly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbYb1bpisKI&ab_channel=LeeS 

Worth noting from Tuesday they are staying on BBC Two, and only moving to BBC One on Friday because of the first night of The Proms.

Lastly, they should start BBC Two coverage at 10:30 on days where plays starts at 11:00, so they can get the review/preview chat done without missing any play, and they should move the lunctime news to 12:30, so that BBC One coverage starts at 13:15 at the latest, giving 15 mins before Centre Court play starts.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - m_in_m - 09-07-2023

Why is week two not on BBC1 in the evening? That feels the reverse of what you'd expect.

BBC Two Northern Ireland opting out again for hurling.
At least today there was a continuity announcement before they faded Wimbledon out to black.

Worth noting when BBC One coverage ends today at 20:00 and moves over to BBC Two, it won't be on BBC Two Wales as they will be showing BBC One's programmes while BBC One Wales shows the USA vs Wales women's football friendly (it also means the BBC News at 10 and Wales Today will be on BBC Two Wales, with Today at Wimbledon following at 22:25).

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - RhysJR - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 03:24 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  Why is week two not on BBC1 in the evening? That feels the reverse of what you'd expect.

It's far less likely there will be singles play in primetime. From Tuesday onwards and the quarter-finals, there will only be two singles matches per day on Centre Court and No.1 Court so there's a good chance it will all be done and dusted by 6/7pm (the men's semi-finals on Friday the most likely exception). Of course, if there's a big name involved in an epic, they might swap around One and Two you'd imagine.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - RhysJR - 09-07-2023

A very conveniently well timed news bulletin at 5pm on BBC One. Left just after match point in one match on Centre Court, returned in time, after a round-up of other action, to the first game of the next match on Centre Court.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - XIII - 09-07-2023

The curfew is not going to get lifted. There are just too many considerations to be agreed and I suspect the council wouldn’t agree to it nor would the locals.

(09-07-2023, 03:30 PM)dvboy Wrote:  Worth noting when BBC One coverage ends today at 20:00 and moves over to BBC Two, it won't be on BBC Two Wales as they will be showing BBC One's programmes while BBC One Wales shows the USA vs Wales women's football friendly (it also means the BBC News at 10 and Wales Today will be on BBC Two Wales, with Today at Wimbledon following at 22:25).

BBC Two Wales now taking the tennis also, with Countryfile pushed back to 21:00 and Antiques Roadshow dropped.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - LargelyALurker - 09-07-2023

[Image: IMG-4216.jpg]

There must a better iPlayer logo than this? The small logo on dark background with the separate BBC logo just doesn’t work at all.

Similarly the signposting to ‘ONE’ and ‘TWO’ is fairy naff looking. Ironically ‘iPlayer’ without the BBC part would work fine, but ‘ONE’ and ‘TWO’ don’t, yet they’re doing it the opposite way round.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - AJB39 - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 08:00 PM)dvboy Wrote:  BBC Two Wales now taking the tennis also, with Countryfile pushed back to 21:00 and Antiques Roadshow dropped.

The tennis will be on well past 21.00 so I suspect they’ll have to drop Countryfile as well.