Pres Café
Wimbledon 2023 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Wimbledon 2023 (/showthread.php?tid=482)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - Brekkie - 09-07-2023

Countryfile is an ever present in the schedule - seems they feel they have to air it every week regardless when surely a two week break for Wimbledon would have made sense.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - dvboy - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 08:05 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  The tennis will be on well past 21.00 so I suspect they’ll have to drop Countryfile as well.

Yes, there is another match to follow this so we're likely to be hitting the 23:00 curfew tonight.
Not sure how BBC Wales will get round the news at 22:00. I suspect if it wasn't for the football in Wales we'd still be on BBC One.
Northern Ireland also doing their own thing from 22:00 with QI and a repeat of Sunday Politics NI.
BBC Two have already brought programmes from midnight onwards an hour forward in the absence of Today at the Test, they will probably be putting Today at Wimbledon in that slot and moving them back again.

For reference this was tonight's original schedule:     

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - qwerty123 - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 08:10 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Countryfile is an ever present in the schedule - seems they feel they have to air it every week regardless when surely a two week break for Wimbledon would have made sense.

Countryfile is airing as planned at the minute for the vast majority of the country. In this particular instance given the scheduling constraints and the fact that it is only a small part of the country that would be affected it would probably make sense to move Wimbledon to the red button for welsh viewers at 21:00 so that Countryfile can be broadcast this evening and the news can go out at the same time as the rest of the country.

(09-07-2023, 08:20 PM)qwerty123 Wrote:  Countryfile is airing as planned at the minute for the vast majority of the country. In this particular instance it would probably make sense for the Tennis to move to the red button and IPlayer for viewers in wales at 21:00 so that Countryfile and the News can be aired (With antiques road show being a repeat the value in this being broadcast is significantly lower than is the case for the other programmes).

That won't happen because a) Today at Wimbledon won't get onto iPlayer and b) they have already committed on air to showing the tennis on BBC Two through the evening to its conclusion.
I think it's likely BBC Wales will get a bespoke bulletin at 23:00 on BBC Two and then they'll show Today at Wimbledon at 23:30. They'll have to find another slot for Countryfile in Wales or give up on it - continuity on BBC Two Wales at 20:00 said it would be available on iPlayer at 21:00.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - qwerty123 - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 08:27 PM)dvboy Wrote:  That won't happen because a) Today at Wimbledon won't get onto iPlayer and b) they have already committed on air to showing the tennis on BBC Two through the evening to its conclusion.
I think it's likely BBC Wales will get a bespoke bulletin at 23:00 on BBC Two and then they'll show Today at Wimbledon at 23:30. They'll have to find another slot for Countryfile in Wales.

History would suggest it to be unlikely that Wales will get a bespoke bulletin. In the past when Wales has broadcast the news at a different time to England they have simply simulcast the opening 15 minutes of a news channel bulletin which in this case would be from Singapore and surely completely inappropriate.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - m_in_m - 09-07-2023

(09-07-2023, 08:31 PM)qwerty123 Wrote:  History would suggest it to be unlikely that Wales will get a bespoke bulletin. In the past when Wales has broadcast the news at a different time to England they have simply simulcast the opening 15 minutes of a news channel bulletin which in this case would be from Singapore and surely completely inappropriate.

Why don't Wales get there own bulletin when required? Scotland do once or twice a year - though in those circumstances pre-planned.

Well when the news channel was ran properly that sufficed - and the presenter would have been in E anyway. I'm sure that's what happened with Scotland too.

Of course the sensible thing to do would be just include national news in a bulletin produce in Cardiff (or Glasgow) - surely the reports can be sent across to be played out. I suspect execs in London though wouldn't want them getting any idea about doing that sort of thing though, although of course BBC Scotland now do that sort of thing nightly with The Nine.

(09-07-2023, 08:41 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Well when the news channel was ran properly that sufficed - and the presenter would have been in E anyway. I'm sure that's what happened with Scotland too.

Of course the sensible thing to do would be just include national news in a bulletin produce in Cardiff (or Glasgow) - surely the reports can be sent across to be played out. I suspect execs in London though wouldn't want them getting any idea about doing that sort of thing though, although of course BBC Scotland now do that sort of thing nightly with The Nine.

The way I see it they have four options:
1. They dip out of Wimbledon at 22:00 and show the news on BBC Two as planned
2. They get BBC News to do a bespoke bulletin for BBC Two Wales at 23:00
3. They play a recorded 22:00 BBC News on BBC Two Wales at 23:00
4. They don't have a national news bulletin and just have a (extended?) Wales Today at 23:00.

Am I right in thinking the nations (well, Wales and Scotland - think NI have their own dispute on going) aren't involved in the current work to rule mandate affecting late bulletins in the English regions?

BBC Two Wales left Wimbledon for the news with a continuity announcement inviting viewers to go to the iPlayer, and that the coverage would continue afterwards.