Pres Café
Wimbledon 2023 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Wimbledon 2023 (/showthread.php?tid=482)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - Brekkie - 03-07-2023

(03-07-2023, 04:11 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Clare has now appeared although in voice only

This will presumably now mean the ‘main presenter’ will just start their day by voicing the next available change of ends round up after 4pm and won’t actually open any programme.

Sue used to do the whole thing until fairly recently, then she started going home at 6pm and then last year with the new BBC One evening session she would instead start late and stay to the end.

Of course the BBC1 evening slot is now arguably the prime slot rather than the BBC1 afternoon slot, though generally speaking it was the match rather than the time which determined if Sue stayed on and whether Clare got 3-4 hours or a 10 minute slot at the end.

I'd have thought for Day 1 though they'd have had Clare as lead presenter begin coverage on BBC1 at least, even if later in the week she doesn't start till the second or third match.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - TIGHazard - 03-07-2023

I realise this is nothing in regards to how many viewers Wimbledon gets worldwide. But I thought I'd post this /r/tennis thread just in the context of people who aren't normally pres-fans, talking about the scoreboard and why they dislike it.

https://old.reddit.com/r/tennis/comments/14pif8w/is_anyone_else_bothered_by_the_way_wimbledon/ 

Full title is "Is anyone else bothered by the way Wimbledon displays the match scores? e.g. 2-1 (sets) 5-4 (games) instead of 6-4 6-3 3-6 5-4 - I realize that it makes the scoreboard a consistent, shorter and more readable size, but sort of annoying when you start watching a match and want to see how it has unfolded so far."

Pretty much all of the replies are agreeing with the original poster.

"Yes! Takes me the whole first week to get used to it."

"I hate not knowing the score of the previous set(s) Why is Wimbledon like this??"

"Yes. You’d think they’re paying by how much screen space or characters they are using or something. I don’t get the need to change it other than it saves space. I like to know the score in each set not just who won it as well. It gives you a better idea of how close the match really is."

"Totally bothered. I made a post about this 8 yrs ago."

"I dislike it. You’re not getting the whole story. I keep my google scores handy."

"Always has been. The most annoying thing about Wimbledon. And they do it to save what, a bunch of small pixel on huge screen estate."

"yes! and why is it in the top corner instead of the bottom? i hate it so much"

"Yes, I understand the space saving if this was the 90s and a 32" screen was big, but everyone's got 60 plus now. We got room for the entire score people."

It really is annoying. The full score gives you the story of the match instantly, the set score absolutely doesn't. 6-0, 6-0 and 7-6, 7-6 are two very different scores.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - RhysJR - 03-07-2023

Curiously the Red Button feed uses a different graphic to BBC One/Two during their latest score updates.

[Image: TVLF%20229.jpg]

They did last year IIRC. Still really not a fan of those generic BBC Sport graphics at all.

Also annoying now you have to go back to a menu everytime you want to change court on the iPlayer - in the BBC Sport app days you used to be able to scroll through who was on the other courts within the match you are watching.

Remains to be seen how the hour pans out but looks like Today at Wimbledon is now pre-recorded with Qasa introducing footage walking around the grounds earlier in the day. TBH not the worst idea in the world, and it tends to be how many sporting highlights shows are filmed nowadays.

Only issue I guess is if it is produced regardless for the iPlayer if the story of the day ends up being a match playing late into the evening that may not be included.

EDIT: Seems to be the case but it keeps the show moving at a nice pace and means they can chat to various members of their team rather than just have McEnroe wittering on for an hour. The shot just now though looked like it was green screened given the soft focus of the background.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - Robinho02 - 03-07-2023

The new pre recorded Today at Wimbledon makes sense given the frequency of it being dropped - now hopefully it will be consistently on iPlayer no matter what.

But it’s loses a lot not having live links and high quality guests like McEnroe. It doesn’t feel like a 9pm prime time programme.

To be honest watching today everything about Wimbledon feels very tired. Old BBC logo all over the place almost 2 years after the rebrand began; the old studio with the massive desk which doesn’t feel like it’s been refreshed in many years; the old titles; and Sue is really missed.

And on court - no Brits capable likely to go very far, no Nadal or Federer or Serena Williams. Most people have no idea who the big names are in tennis now.

TV presentation wise and event wise it feels like it all needs a bit of a revamp.

One thing that irritates me is the 7pm changeover from 2 to 1. I really hoped they would have seen this didn’t work last year and fixed it.

They need an overlap so the BBC1 programme can have a proper intro; 2 has a proper close and no play is missed. Today the programme on 1 started after the programme on 2 ended. Clare did an intro on 1 and therefore a lot of play in the featured game was missed. It’s pretty poor.

Start The One Show at 7.10 for the fortnight.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - Andrew - 03-07-2023

I did wonder how they would ensure Today at Wimbledon would always be on iPlayer at 9pm and at the same time allow for live tennis to over run on BBC One, as I don’t think they’ve ever broadcast two programmes live at the same time. Pre recording it obviously therefore works.

What happens if live tennis does over run on One remains to be seen, will they still air Today at Wimbledon on Two or drop it entirely. They obviously can’t shorten it as it’s an hour.

(03-07-2023, 09:30 PM)Robinho02 Wrote:  The new pre recorded Today at Wimbledon makes sense given the frequency of it being dropped - now hopefully it will be consistently on iPlayer no matter what.

But it’s loses a lot not having live links and high quality guests like McEnroe. It doesn’t feel like a 9pm prime time programme.
I think it actually gains from not having McEnroe and the likes chatting for 10 minutes between every section of highlights.   They can still feature in the briefer segments which do the same job - and at least interviewing the commentators of the match you know they actually watched it.

Agree though it doesn't quite feel prime time - perhaps more BBC3 than BBC2.   I wouldn't be surprised though if the intention is that it might become an iPlayer only format in the future.

P.S. Has Qasa had any other role today such as on court interviewer or reporter? This feels like a role designed to work alongside something else during the day.

RE: Wimbledon 2023 - SuperSajuuk - 03-07-2023

I also suffered with the broken iPlayer issue described earlier in the thread, I think at least 2-3 different times the feed just died for no reason. It was worse at the 1.30pm start, due to presumably everyone joining iPlayer instantly at the same time (the later ones were probably from the feed name changing and causing it to be lost).

I do think the RB channel feeds made iPlayer better in the past and balanced the traffic as you had a selection of the main courts with everything on iPlayer for those who had to use the iPlayer for various reasons, but now that iPlayer is the _only_ way to watch anything that isn't the main show courts from afternoon onwards [with just a randomly interesting court for the morning play], the iPlayer might end up suffering many more of these outages over the course of these Championships this year, which might end up forcing the BBC to restore the RB feeds for next year [unless they just make iPlayer better, but somehow I doubt that now]