Pres Café
ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards (/showthread.php?tid=531)

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - Spencer - 15-10-2023

(15-10-2023, 01:32 AM)XIII Wrote:  Ratings are one thing but This Morning still have various sponsorship deal plus the competition so it likely makes ITV money. 
Very true, although if ratings have taken a big knock, sponsors aren’t as likely to renew, or won’t be prepared to pay as much if they’re not getting the same level of impacts.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - Andrew - 15-10-2023

I’m sure most calls, in the press and by critics to axe This Morning are from people who either don’t watch it, or have got a vested interest as they know how much turmoil and hence more press stories it would create

I’m not sure anyone who actually watches it has any issue with the actual content

What would be the point of a new programme starting, with a new name, and then Gino or whoever turns up in the kitchen, or are people suggesting every on screen expert also needs to be axed.

Remember how successful axing a long running show was for GMTV

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - all new phil - 15-10-2023

(15-10-2023, 09:27 AM)Spencer Wrote:  Very true, although if ratings have taken a big knock, sponsors aren’t as likely to renew, or won’t be prepared to pay as much if they’re not getting the same level of impacts.

Maybe, but a smaller number of TM viewers is probably much more valuable to advertisers than whoever would watch the extended ITV News that was suggested previously. They know they can target stay at home mums, many of whom with plenty of disposable income. Whatever happens to the show, it will maintain that skew. 

No different really to Sky Sports News. Presumably not the biggest viewing figures, but a goldmine for ad spend due to the clear audience companies can target.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - Brekkie - 15-10-2023

(14-10-2023, 09:25 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Amongst all the opinion about the This Morning brand being tired, toxic or past its sell-by date, I’ve not heard any actual hard data in terms of viewing figures.

Are they absolutely terrible, or are they, as I suspect, down a bit on their peak but nothing for bosses to lose too much sleep over – rather like GMB post Piers Morgan? Unless they’re absolutely haemorrhaging viewers, I don’t see the axe being wielded for the show any time soon.

Last report I saw a couple of weeks back was around 700,000, which is pretty much around where they were in the Spring.    It does fluctuate a bit quite naturally, so pretty easy for tabloids to create stories based on ratings rises or falls when in reality the change in figures is usually due to factors beyond the show (weather, half term etc.)

Branding wise though it's one of the strongest - hence the attention on it's problems.   Advertisers and sponsors are going to pay more to be associated, and indeed have more opportunities to run different campaigns, than if they stuck a James Martin / Gino / Ainsley Harriot format on in the mornings.

(14-10-2023, 09:10 PM)cable Wrote:  Live eh. ok... ITV News. maybe in a lighter format.
Well you've just proven axing it isn't the right call.

I suspect if they did what ITV would want to do is try and reduce the two and a half hours they need to fill to something much less, so extending GMB to 9.25 then Lorraine on till 11 for example. You could then extend Loose Women or ITV News by half an hour leaving just a one hour slot to fill.

(14-10-2023, 10:42 PM)JustJamie Wrote:  Take this with a pinch or handful of salt, but the Sunday papers - namely Mail on Sunday - are reporting that bosses are in discussion to make Kate Garraway and Ben Shepherd the new presenting duo on This Morning.

Like I say, take it with a pinch or handful of salt at what is being reported...
That is my fear. I do like Ben but never been a huge fan of Kate Garraway - and I'm not sure how attractive that pairing might be to advertisers. Regardless of your view of Holly on screen we know how she was very much somebody brands and advertisers felt bought in a demo of viewers they want to attract.

I also don't think it's wise to try and solve the problems with one show by causing new problems with another show.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - Andrew - 15-10-2023

(15-10-2023, 11:09 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Last report I saw a couple of weeks back was around 700,000, which is pretty much around where they were in the Spring.    It does fluctuate a bit quite naturally, so pretty easy for tabloids to create stories based on ratings rises or falls when in reality the change in figures is usually due to factors beyond the show (weather, half term etc.)
I’m not sure the papers quite know which way to spin the ratings, as they haven’t worked out whether they should like or dislike Holly Willoughby. Have viewers switched off since she left, or switched on?

One minute she’s a hate figure who ‘knew what was going on’, next minute she’s really popular and about to be signed up to the BBC on a massive contract

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - JAS84 - 15-10-2023

Oh come on! Unlike Philip, she's clearly a victim. That kidnap attempt was the last straw that prompted her departure, following the bad publicity of Queuegate and Philip's exit. She's keeping a low profile for now for her own and her family's safety. She won't be rushing to do a BBC show. I wouldn't expect anything to be announced about her next job until after Christmas at least. First thing to decide of course is if she'll also leave Dancing on Ice. Will that be too soon for her?

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - cable - 15-10-2023

(15-10-2023, 11:09 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Well you've just proven axing it isn't the right call.

I suspect if they did what ITV would want to do is try and reduce the two and a half hours they need to fill to something much less, so extending GMB to 9.25 then Lorraine on till 11 for example.    You could then extend Loose Women or ITV News by half an hour leaving just a one hour slot to fill.
For the record, I never actually said I wanted it axed. I'm not really the target audience anyway, i'd just like a bit more variety for when I do get a chance to see it.

The thing is you get much more variety within one episode of This Morning than you would replacing it with pre-recorded formats. We see that on BBC1with their regular staples then a few shows which are essentially all variants of the same thing.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - JMT1985 - 15-10-2023

I think ITV 1 has a winning formula with 7.5 hours of live daytime programming a day - making it stand out compared to BBC 1.

For me I feel 6.00am - 1.30pm is largely fine in terms of the scheduling, just the content needs to be refreshed.

For me the big problem for ITV 1 is that from 2pm until 4pm it is largely crap - yes, audiences at this time are very low, as people are at work, school or college etc - but surely we could have some fun offering a variety of maybe even half hour shows to fill these two hours.

2-4pm though is the only slot that has any kind of variety in the schedule, so in a way them finding a hit which ended up airing year round like the rest of the daytime schedule would make things even more stale.