Pres Café
ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards (/showthread.php?tid=531)

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - Scrotnig - 20-10-2023

I think if they do have a “refresh” I’d like to see the back of those show-specific elements in the titles. I’ve always found it cringeworthy.

Just have some proper, decent titles like they did in the 1990s when it was still at the Albert Dock.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - sjames - 21-10-2023

(20-10-2023, 08:40 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  Just have some proper, decent titles like they did in the 1990s when it was still at the Albert Dock.

Going back to something generic like the scrapbook style opening they had 10 years ago would make sense. It wouldn't be too difficult to change the opening photo depending on the pairing or have a basic version if there were any holiday changes etc.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - JMT1985 - 21-10-2023

With regards to the studio - I think we all feel it would be very hard for them to physically change much of the core set, considering it is built back to back with the GMB set sharing the same studio - for me, it would simply be cosmetic changes to the sofa, furniture etc and may a change in the lighting.

One thing always still baffles me is why they bothered to keep the London river backdrop - the looped tape which was probably recorded in 2017/2018 and has been used ever since - I think they have cornered themselves into a position where they can't really get rid of the river scenes, what else would you replace it with?

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - Brekkie - 21-10-2023

Ultimately the backdrop is nothing more than a backdrop so no real benefit of changing it. I agree any changes will likely be cosmetic with no structural changes to the set, but one thing they might consider doing moving forward is having the backdrop less prominent so it's still there but there are more elements of the set which obscure it. There are of course already parts of the set used for the fashion and gadget/beauty items which don't feature the river backdrop at all.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - PJamo - 21-10-2023

It's a tough one because the backdrop - whether Liverpool Dock or the Thames - has always been a part part of This Morning's set design. Presumably some more 'framing ' of the view to reduce the 'window' would evolve the set away from the current look although, ironically, it would also steer it towards the set design it replaced.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - JMT1985 - 21-10-2023

(21-10-2023, 06:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Ultimately the backdrop is nothing more than a backdrop so no real benefit of changing it.  I agree any changes will likely be cosmetic with no structural changes to the set, but one thing they might consider doing moving forward is having the backdrop less prominent so it's still there but there are more elements of the set which obscure it.    There are of course already parts of the set used for the fashion and gadget/beauty items which don't feature the river backdrop at all.

I agree about the London backdrop - the way they could change that would be to make it less prominent, I agree they could bring in more elements to obscure it, maybe curtains, blinds to make it feel like a real window. 

I remember one massive problem with the launch of Daybreak on ITV in 2010 was their big London backdrop - they had a real backdrop, as they were placed overlooking the Thames, however they launched Daybreak in the autumn, when the morning time light was decreasing with every day and so come December it was pitch black for a large chunk of the show 

They added coloured lighting panels which obscured the London skyline to try and give warmth to the studio - didn't really help the show and from 2011 they re-positioned their set to ignore the London backdrop, which originally was one of their major selling points of their studio

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - Otis Crump - 22-10-2023

The real life backdrop was a great USP for This Morning. It's a shame the plans for a new ITV studio on the Thames were scrapped, meaning TVC is the permanent home now. The fake backdrop is executed really well, but it can never be as good as the real thing. When you look at clips of the final few years on the South Bank (identical set but real view), the natural light just brings things to life in a way that can't be replicated.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - JMT1985 - 22-10-2023

(22-10-2023, 10:26 AM)Otis Crump Wrote:  The real life backdrop was a great USP for This Morning. It's a shame the plans for a new ITV studio on the Thames were scrapped, meaning TVC is the permanent home now. The fake backdrop is executed really well, but it can never be as good as the real thing. When you look at clips of the final few years on the South Bank (identical set but real view), the natural light just brings things to life in a way that can't be replicated.

Also, what happens if the river backdrop changes - new buildings, or I know this is bad thought, but if there was a terror incident or accident, and their backdrop just remains the same. 

I remember in 2001, Late Night with Conan O'Brien debuted a new set with a new New York City skyline including the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center - shortly afterwards 9/11 happened, and when the show returned from enforced one week hiatus, they had to place a curtain drape over the Twin Towers section of the new backdrop before altering the set permanently a few weeks later I believe. 

Probably there is no ability to have a live feed of the river view anymore which could be part of a new London backdrop?

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - Jon - 22-10-2023

If the Thames backdrop changes in a significant way, they could either record from same position again or if not change the position slightly.

If there was a major incident in the background, they could temporarily change it something generic or a graphic. Actually something they couldn’t have done as easily when the view was real.

There is no issue with the backdrop and it gives a continuity that goes back long before Phil & Holly.

Other than the Thames I’m not sure what backdrop would work. The surroundings of TV centre aren’t very special unless you use the building itself but then I think that would tire quite quickly.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - Keith - 22-10-2023

(22-10-2023, 01:02 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Probably there is no ability to have a live feed of the river view anymore which could be part of a new London backdrop?
I can't help feeling that a live feed would be tempting for those wanting to be disruptive. Find the camera position, then use some drones to display a protest banner. Failing that there's always the comedy bird sitting in front of the camera, or an insect crawling across the lens.

At least with pre-recorded footage they can avoid any 'live surprises'. It also ensures the weather & lighting of the backdrop is as desired.