Pres Café
ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards (/showthread.php?tid=531)

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - all new phil - 02-02-2024

(17-12-2023, 12:21 PM)all new phil Wrote:  It’ll be Cat and Ben. Feel free to call me a nob if I’m proven wrong.
Just saying, lads.

Suspect this’ll also lead to an official Ed/Richard split for GMB.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - AaronTV - 02-02-2024

Looks like the deal being ‘off’ was a bit of a contract negotiation via the media!

I am a little surprised Alison and Dermot didn’t want it or weren’t offered it - they are by far the show’s best pairing IMO, nobody else really comes close from the pool of stand ins. Ben and Cat are certainly both big-hitters, however, which is what I think the show desperately needs.

Will be very interesting to see if this is part of a wider relaunch for March. The current teal/gold look is so associated with Phil and Holly and has been around for 8 years or so now, so it certainly wouldn’t them any harm to have a proper refresh.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - Brekkie - 02-02-2024

I think what has changed is the future of So You Think You Can Dance looks alot more uncertain after some recent allegations - and if it continues perhaps wise for Cat to step away. It has switched to a fully pre-recorded format though meaning less of a filming commitment should it continue.

Must say though fund this choice so uninspiring. Cat didn't seem to be enjoying herself that much when she did a few days last autumn.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - fanoftv - 02-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 02:28 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Must say though fund this choice so uninspiring. Cat didn't seem to be enjoying herself that much when she did a few days last autumn.

I partially agree, but it could be down to nerves. Ben Shephard is a safe pair of hands, and would have steadied the ship with Holly, and I’m sure will lead it well with Cat (if rumours are true).

Looking back, after events of the last year, we forget how skilful Phil was at presenting, especially This Morning that seemed perfect for his love of live television and his capability of dealing with it.
In 2009, Phil had become so connected with the show, and the audience that even with Fern’s departure he was able to carry the programme on the familiar trajectory. It was an ingenious move to bring in Holly. Not only did she prove herself capable when she filled in for a day in December 2008, but she brought in a lot of new viewers, especially young mums. The rebranding in September 2009 also freshened up the brand ten-fold; the change in logo, design, titles and version of the theme helped to make the brand come alive again. I feel like any change to the main presenters should be reflected with the branding, as was pointed out earlier the current branding is very strongly connect with Phil & Holly as they were part of the brand in terms of name & titles for a lot of it’s run.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - Brekkie - 02-02-2024

Yes, hopefully a new look will be bought in by their arrival, but the way TV seems to stagger things nowadays wouldn't be surprised if that is put off till September, which would be a mistake.

You make a good point about Holly bringing in new viewers when she arrived - maybe the concern now is more about keeping viewers as I'm not sure Ben and Cat are really going to bring a new audience to the show. Agree it feels like Ben was a safe choice to pair with Holly. I'm sure they'll be fine but it just feels a bit bland after the hosts they've used for the last year, particularly Alison, Josie, Craig and Rylan, have been much more about injecting some personality into preceedings.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - all new phil - 02-02-2024

I still think Stacey Solomon would have been the one to bring new viewers in. She’d have been a perfect fit.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - Steve in Pudsey - 03-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 08:10 PM)fanoftv Wrote:  Looking back, after events of the last year, we forget how skilful Phil was at presenting, especially This Morning that seemed perfect for his love of live television and his capability of dealing with it.

If that's the criteria, surely Andi Peters is the obvious candidate from within the ITV Daytime family.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - Pips2022 - 04-02-2024

(03-02-2024, 11:03 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  If that's the criteria, surely Andi Peters is the obvious candidate from within the ITV Daytime family.

He is of course technically excellent- and one of the final links back to the era of impeccably-skilled all-round presenters like Schofield or Noel Edmonds.

But he’s just somehow not as ‘fully-rounded’ as the likes of Dermot etc. He seems a bit private and guarded to truly excel on This Morning, where the presenters really have to offer-up 100% of their personalities.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - all new phil - 04-02-2024

(04-02-2024, 10:40 AM)Pips2022 Wrote:  He seems a bit private and guarded to truly excel on This Morning, where the presenters really have to offer-up 100% of their personalities.

To be fair Schofield didn’t exactly offer up 100% of his.

RE: ITV’s This Morning - September 2023 onwards - Spencer - 09-02-2024

This Morning has just come back from an ad break into a standby tape, with an on-screen message apologising for the disruption to the schedule.

Presumably there’s been a fire alarm or something at TVC.

Edit: They’re back. Alison apologised and blamed it on ‘gremlins’.