Pres Café
The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The Media Question Amnesty Thread (/showthread.php?tid=546)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Steve in Pudsey - 08-09-2023

I think it was only London and the South East that saw it in full (Elstree remote controlled an opt-switch at TV Centre which wasn't available) although other regions crashed into it when the regional programmes couldn't pad any longer. The BBC Two filler would have been more widely seen.

I believe Birmingham was staffed over the Millennium new year lest the Millennium Bug took out the more advanced facilities in London.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Stooky Bill - 08-09-2023

Yes the opt switch for the South East would have been bypassed by the DR arrangements.

Yes on 31/12/2000 there were presentation staff in Birmingham, they also had the two presentation areas in TVC staffed - the older analogue channel area being a backup for the the newer digital one just in case of issues.

There were all sorts of contingencies in place, I remember Chris Moyles saying recently that he was on Radio 1 the next day and there was a plan for him to be picked up and taken to BBC radio's back up studios overnight if there were issues in London

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Steve in Pudsey - 08-09-2023

I wonder if that was a specific back up (eg Wood Norton) or potentially whatever they could find that was still working?

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - bbctvtechop - 08-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 09:37 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Yes on 31/12/2000
Presumably you mean 31/12/1999? ☺

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Neil Jones - 09-09-2023

(08-09-2023, 08:13 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Presumably you mean 31/12/1999? ☺

Depends whether you believe in Year 0 or not, which would make 31/12/2000 correct in the scope of the post you replied to.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Steve in Pudsey - 09-09-2023

The scope of the post was the millennium bug potentially happening as the date changed from 1999 to 2000.

31/12/1999 into 1/1/2000 is the date when everything was belt and braces.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Stooky Bill - 09-09-2023

Yes, I of course meant 31/12/1999.

Damn you, restricted editing facilities!

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - NB Guy - 11-09-2023

Heres my question: After Tagesschau/tagesthemen was broadcast on tv when the full tagesschau/tagesthemen broadcast was posted on the internet for example on their website and also on their youtube channel when theres a sports report for example basketball or football the actual report footage being replaced with a slide saying Kurze Unterbrechung (Short break) while you can still hear the original audio from the sports report whats the reason for that?

i know ZDF Also do the same think after ZDF Heute was broadcast on tv when it was being posted on the internet when the sports report was being played the reports image was being replaced with a information slide while the audio from the sports report was being played in the background

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Transmission - 11-09-2023

Presumably that's because of sports rights. I remember JSTV having a similar slide during NHK news reports where they didn't have the rights to show the clips internationally.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Orry Verducci - 12-09-2023

Sports rights are extremely restrictive as to where footage can be broadcast.

As such it's not uncommon for broadcasters to use footage they have the rights to on their domestic bulletins, but block it on international rebroadcasts. For broadcasters (like ARD) that make their news bulletins available globally online, the online copy has to be similarly blocked.

This is often seen on Sky News on YouTube. As that feed is available worldwide they sometimes opt-out of the sports bulletins shown in the UK and replace it with pre-recorded segments. It was also common for BBC News to use footage on domestic bulletins, but stills on News Channel coverage that was being simulcast with BBC World News.