Pres Café
The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The Media Question Amnesty Thread (/showthread.php?tid=546)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Technologist - 12-09-2023

(12-09-2023, 11:44 AM)Orry Verducci Wrote:  Sports rights are extremely restrictive as to where footage can be broadcast.
and also how much material the Broadcaster can hold on to -
For instance for some rights holders for the Olympics it may be just 128 hours

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - TheGregmeister - 12-09-2023

(09-09-2023, 08:14 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Depends whether you believe in Year 0 or not, which would make 31/12/2000 correct in the scope of the post you replied to.
Of course there was never actually a Year 0. A.D. started with year 1 A.D. of course, which means everyone celebrated the start of the new millennium and the 21st Century exactly one year early. The true and proper beginning of this new millennium and the 21st century was on 1st January 2001. For the case of the Millennium Bug, it was just the fear of computerised systems around the world malfunctioning when the first two digits of the year changed from 19 to 20, and it turned out to be a damp squib anyway!

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Stooky Bill - 13-09-2023

(12-09-2023, 11:44 AM)Orry Verducci Wrote:  This is often seen on Sky News on YouTube. As that feed is available worldwide they sometimes opt-out of the sports bulletins shown in the UK and replace it with pre-recorded segments. It was also common for BBC News to use footage on domestic bulletins, but stills on News Channel coverage that was being simulcast with BBC World News.
Yes, this was notable during the 2012 Olympics when BBC News Channel was showing highlights of the opening ceremony until midnight and then could only show stills. 

I worked for a non-rights holder at the time and the rules were such that it wasn't worth us showing any clips at all. We had to wait until  every rights holder had shown it, which because of timezones meant by the time that had happened it was almost 24 hours later and it was old news. 

For domestic football coverage, news programmes have 'sports rights access'. So ITV News can show X amount of seconds of clips for X number of hours after it was shown. I can't remember the exact figures 

The clips must be taken off air, there's no archive rights and the broadcaster the clips come from must be credited in a caption (even if the channel's own logo bug is on screen).

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - IanJRedman - 13-09-2023

(13-09-2023, 01:31 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  The clips must be taken off air, there's no archive rights and the broadcaster the clips come from must be credited in a caption (even if the channel's own logo bug is on screen).

Is this why BBC News credits "Pictures from BBC Sport" - because there's a contractual requirement to do so, even when the BBC is effectively crediting itself?

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - James2001 - 13-09-2023

I can imagine that means we'll be seeing less live sports footage in reports on the new merged BBC News channel, as they'll be broadcasting internationally a lot of the time.

(13-09-2023, 02:09 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Is this why BBC News credits "Pictures from BBC Sport" - because there's a contractual requirement to do so, even when the BBC is effectively crediting itself?
Possibly, although being the same broadcaster I don't think the usual sports rights agreements in terms of how much can be used apply. They won't have to take it off air of course but they'll have to take it from the programme rather than the incoming feed of a sport 

I'm not sure how it works on a Saturday, I think that neither the BBC or ITV can show highlights until after MOTD and the Quest equivalent have aired

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Neil Jones - 13-09-2023

(13-09-2023, 02:25 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I'm not sure how it works on a Saturday, I think that neither the BBC or ITV can show highlights until after MOTD and the Quest equivalent have aired

Sky Sports say (or used to say) they had highlights on the app from 5:15pm, though I note they seem to have them on their YouTube channel now so seems a bit archaic to say the BBC and ITV can't show them before MOTD at (this week) 10:20pm but somebody else can stick them on YouTube/an app shortly after full time.

The Sunday morning repeat of MOTD is contractual though, and needs to be off the air by 10:30am according to the website.

(13-09-2023, 02:52 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Sky Sports say (or used to say) they had highlights on the app from 5:15pm, though I note they seem to have them on their YouTube channel now so seems a bit archaic to say the BBC and ITV can't show them before MOTD at (this week) 10:20pm but somebody else can  stick them on YouTube/an app shortly after full time.

The Sunday morning repeat of MOTD is contractual though, and needs to be off the air by 10:30am according to the website.
It's all a bit archaic in the world of the Internet really. 

It's all to do with rights though, Sky have the online highlights rights, BBC has the Broadcast highlights rights. The rules are to protect the rights holders, I'm surprised Sky would put them on YouTube for free when they can charge people for them

Of course ITV can't put highlights on their news until MOTD partly because a lot of matches on Saturday won't have been on TV until then. 

The 10:30 Sunday thing presumably is because it's 12 hours after it goes out live.... 12 hour highlight window?

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Transmission - 13-09-2023

There are even restrictions on the number of times Sky and TNT can repeat Premier League games they have shown live and they can only do so before the following 'gameweek' starts, until the season ends and they can show them again.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - bbctvtechop - 14-09-2023

(12-09-2023, 12:31 PM)TheGregmeister Wrote:  Of course there was never actually a Year 0. A.D. started with year 1 A.D. of course, which means everyone celebrated the start of the new millennium and the 21st Century exactly one year early. The true and proper beginning of this new millennium and the 21st century was on 1st January 2001. For the case of the Millennium Bug, it was just the fear of computerised systems around the world malfunctioning when the first two digits of the year changed from 19 to 20, and it turned out to be a damp squib anyway!

The Millennium Big worry wasn't that systems with a 4-digit year were changing its first two from 19 to 20.

The problem was with systems which had been coded to use only a 2-digit year (eg 31/12/99) and the worry that when it went to 01/01/00, it would think it had gone backwards by 100 years rather than forwards by one day. 

In other words, does 01/01/00 refer to the year 1900 or the year 2000? There is no way of us humans being able to tell the difference without extra context, so computers stood no chance.

A lot of time, effort and money went into identifying systems which used a 2-digit year and then recoding them to use a 4 digit year.

There is a similar problem to solve before 19th January 2038 - the "epochalypse" - when computers which calculate time in 16-bits will appear to rewind back to December 1901.