Pres Café
The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The Media Question Amnesty Thread (/showthread.php?tid=546)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Rdd - 07-01-2024

Of course, and I never meant to imply as such - only observing that integrated sponsorship remains part of the landscape.

Yes, Soccer Saturday runs breaks windowed at least during the 3-5pm window. Not sure the regulatory rules around that are but they’ve been doing it at least a decade, CNBC Europe would be doing it even longer though, I think they’ve been doing it since the 1990s.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Transmission - 07-01-2024

If I remember right, the main rule around what Soccer Saturday does and what BT Sport Score used to do is that the adverts have a minimum size they can be shrunk down to in order for any terms and conditions to still be legible.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - dvboy - 07-01-2024

(07-01-2024, 12:54 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  . I remember Channel 5 got in trouble because somebody who appeared on one of their programmes also happened to appear in an advert break during that programme and the ITC said not supposed to let that happen, though I suspect regulator decisions aren't based on precedents.

I’m pretty sure there used to be a rule on this that’s since been removed.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Neil Jones - 07-01-2024

(07-01-2024, 05:58 AM)dvboy Wrote:  I’m pretty sure there used to be a rule on this that’s since been removed.

There was a rule and that's why Channel 5 got pulled up on it, but I can't remember what the specific details were.

I've found this example, which isn't what I was referring to, but the specific rule was that commercials and programmes featuring the same artists should be separated.
https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ukgwa/20090209211111/http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/itc/itc_publications/complaints_reports/advertising_complaints/show_complaint.asp-ad_complaint_id=23.html 

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Spencer - 07-01-2024

I can’t find a link for it, but didn’t Channel 4 also get into trouble when an ad featuring Carol Vorderman was scheduled accidentally during an episode of Countdown?

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Brekkie - 07-01-2024

(07-01-2024, 09:35 AM)Spencer Wrote:  I can’t find a link for it, but didn’t Channel 4 also get into trouble when an ad featuring Carol Vorderman was scheduled accidentally during an episode of Countdown?

That sounds familar too. They got into trouble too when a Davina ad appeared in Big Brother even though it wasn't an episode she was fronting. And then just a couple of years later the rule was scrapped.

Maybe it's the point but I'm finding sponsorship far more intrusive now - very noticeable with a new crop of sponsors coming in this week all very explicitly saying "company sponsors programme on channel" when they used to be a bit more subtle than that, but IMO just as effective. I think that's fine for the beginning and end but it's really jarring on the breaks in some shows.

P.S. The second post on that TV Forum thread linked too begs the question whatever happened to the holiday shows? For decades a staple of Winter TV, then for the last couple decades pretty much non-existent.

(07-01-2024, 11:15 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  P.S. The second post on that TV Forum thread linked too begs the question whatever happened to the holiday shows? For decades a staple of Winter TV, then for the last couple decades pretty much non-existent.

Are they something that’s become a victim to the internet? There are so many more ways now to find out about foreign destinations, whereas in the past, Wish You Were Here? and the Holiday programme were just about the only ways to research holidays – that and physically going into a travel agents’ shop.

People generally seem to be more well travelled these days as well due to package holidays and budget flights, so we probably don’t need Judith Chalmers telling us what a beach holiday in Majorca is like anymore.

I guess the only travel shows we now have are the slightly quirky Travel Man type celebrity travelogues. But then, people do love their holidays, so perhaps there is a gap for a reworked broader holiday programme again to tap into this.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Brekkie - 07-01-2024

In many ways you'd think the more competitive market would want resorts and holiday companies trying to cut through the noise. The only way we seem to see that now is in the competition segments on ITV daytime - I assume they were paid to be in Antigua this week and didn't send Kate Lawler out there for the fun of it.

You could argue the same about information being available on the internet for something like the Martin Lewis Money Show too but that finds an audience and I think a holiday show which perhaps focused on getting the most out of your money could too.

Quite possibly. Maybe though it just comes down to cost. I’m guessing broadcasters would rather send Joe Lycett and a single crew to one destination for an hour’s programme than have the expense of multiple reporters and crews in several destinations around the world for each show.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Steve in Pudsey - 07-01-2024

It feels like a fomat that would be ripe for Product Placement. I would love for archive Holiday/Wish You Were Here packages to be available, I'd love to see what some of the resorts that I love visiting now were like in the 80s and before.