Pres Café
The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The Media Question Amnesty Thread (/showthread.php?tid=546)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - RhysJR - 07-01-2024

Probably the only programme similar to that is The Travel Show on BBC News. I think that is sponsored on the global feed.

Plus, as that show's Wikipedia reminds me, Simon Calder appears to be travelling somewhere everytime I see or hear from him, so there must be some kind of demand from the Independent and elsewhere for travel coverage in print.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Andrew - 07-01-2024

(07-01-2024, 09:08 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  It feels like a fomat that would be ripe for Product Placement. I would love for archive Holiday/Wish You Were Here packages to be available, I'd love to see what some of the resorts that I love visiting now were like in the 80s and before.

There is a new series on Channel 5 where Jane McDonald is visiting the Canary Islands. A bit more ‘normal’ than the more adventurous travelogues you get, but without the ‘Jane was staying half board at Hotel such a such which for 7 nights would cost…’that you would get on Wish you were here.

Talking of product placement, In every scene where Jane was in the hotel lobby explaining what she was going to try that day, there just happened to be a Jet2 rep desk in the background. At the start there was even a scene where the Jet2 check in staff at the Jet2 check in desk at Manchester Airport explained how they were offsetting their carbon footprint. Clearly a bit of product placement.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Steve in Pudsey - 07-01-2024

(07-01-2024, 09:51 PM)Andrew Wrote:  ‘Jane was staying half board at Hotel such a such which for 7 nights would cost…’that you would get on Wish you were here.

I wonder if that would get past modern day compliance or be considered undue prominence?

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - madmusician - 08-01-2024

(07-01-2024, 12:27 AM)Josh Wrote:  For example, an intro from This Morning in 1995 featuring a BT sponsorship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQkgCcRjJ3E 

Best key change in TV history 😍

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Roger Darthwell - 10-01-2024

(02-01-2024, 08:12 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It's usually football overruns or the President deciding he wants to make a speech that will see content "pre-empted". Nowadays I think the networks are a bit more flexible and will run a few minutes late but in the past it was not unusual at all for shows to just join a network show that was already in progress - so you might miss the first 10-20 minutes and then join the show. Otherwise shows might be bumped to overnight, which would often be 01:37 or 02:07, one the network late chat shows were completed. Digital sub-channels tend not to be used in the US as they're usually leased out to third parties, but in Canada now if a show can't air on the main network it will likely air on a digital off-shoot.

As a follow up to my previous question, and this is something that just came up in my mind, you have mentioned Canada, which simulcasts loads of US TV programming, so to put an example that you have said Brekkie, if the US President wants to make a speech and a programme is interrupted in order to cover that speech, and at the same time it is simulcasted in Canada, does that mean that Canadian viewers will also see the coverage of the speech of the US President in that particular moment?

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Brekkie - 10-01-2024

I doubt it unless it's of international significance. I suspect they just stick a repeat in the slot.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - JAS84 - 10-01-2024

I'd have thought the programme being pre-empted would just finish as planned if the interruption happened mid-programme. Annoying for Americans who'd be spoiled online, but that's how it is. You'd think though, that it wouldn't be an unplanned mid-programme interruption, unless the speech was to say something like "Russia just nuked Washington, so it's World War III". An extreme emergency situation, which would justify a break into the schedule for rolling news anyway.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Humphrey Hacker - 10-01-2024

Quick question. Did BSB have a text service?

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Rdd - 10-01-2024

It’s a very interesting question though.

The main US networks are carried on cable in Canada, through stations near the border. However they are subject to Canada’s infamous simultaneous substitution rule, which basically says that if a local station is carrying the same episode of the same programme as an out of market station, the signal of the out of market station must be substituted by the cable provider for that of the local station for the duration. While the rule is written in broad enough terms it is squarely aimed at US stations and for the benefit of Canadian ones, and Canadian networks programme accordingly to maximise the benefit for themselves.

Presumably then, if no simultaneous substitution is in effect, the Canadian viewers of US stations would indeed see interruptions, but they might not if simultaneous substitution wasn’t in effect (although I would imagine the mere fact of the interruption would technically mean subsuming wasn’t required from that point).

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Former Member 2410 - 11-01-2024

(10-01-2024, 09:59 PM)Rdd Wrote:  It’s a very interesting question though.

The main US networks are carried on cable in Canada, through stations near the border. However they are subject to Canada’s infamous simultaneous substitution rule, which basically says that if a local station is carrying the same episode of the same programme as an out of market station, the signal of the out of market station must be substituted by the cable provider for that of the local station for the duration. While the rule is written in broad enough terms it is squarely aimed at US stations and for the benefit of Canadian ones, and Canadian networks programme accordingly to maximise the benefit for themselves.

Presumably then, if no simultaneous substitution is in effect, the Canadian viewers of US stations would indeed see interruptions, but they might not if simultaneous substitution wasn’t in effect (although I would imagine the mere fact of the interruption would technically mean subsuming wasn’t required from that point).

Sim-sub was designed primary to protect the Canadian advertisers from losing out when shows are aired on both a U.S. and Canadian network at the same time. However, it's also been used to sub one Canadian station with another. Many Canadian networks air the same shows as their U.S. equivalents, at the same times, just to take advantage of sim-sub rules. This creates a situation in Newfoundland on NTV where shows are 'late' in order to meet Eastern time (Newfoundland has only one commercial channel - the independent NTV which shows a mix of CTV and Global shows).

As an aside, sim-sub can be quite complex, and it's the subject of much debate in Canada. There's been several court battles over it between, for example, Bell and the CRTC, especially over big events like the Super Bowl.

Not all providers treat sim-sub the same either, partly dependent on technology, and partly dependent on the channels they carry. For example Bell Satellite (formerly Bell ExpressVu) sim-sub's nationally. Shaw Direct (now owned by Rogers) sim-sub's by postal code and / or account. I've known areas that are in remote locations (including my own home) not be sim-subbed, for various reasons, or be sim-subbed on some channels but not others. I've had it where my TV wasn't sim-subbed, but a neighbours was. Equally, the channel that is subbed-in may be different between providers as they don't carry the same U.S. networks (Shaw carries Detroit and Rochester on the East Coast whereas Bell carries Boston IIRC), which is dependent on where their headend feeds come from.

In the same vain, if the sim-sub is late or early, even by a second or two, it can cause significant disruption to watching. Some stations (NTV comes to mind as it's my 'local') used to show very large opaque bugs (DOGs), covering the bug / DOG of the originating network, but these are now rare, if at all used.

IME, when breaking news airs on a U.S. station, it's not sim-subbed (as the Canadian networks aren't showing the same show). If it is subbed over, it's usually a mistake, or the Canadian network wants to keep to time / schedule. Occasionally, breaking Canadian news or some large event on the main networks has been broken in-to by a sim-sub, sometimes just by automation, sometimes by a deliberate choice (the latter being not very popular!)