Pres Café
The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The Media Question Amnesty Thread (/showthread.php?tid=546)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Steve in Pudsey - 12-01-2024

(10-01-2024, 01:54 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  As a follow up to my previous question, and this is something that just came up in my mind, you have mentioned Canada, which simulcasts loads of US TV programming, so to put an example that you have said Brekkie, if the US President wants to make a speech and a programme is interrupted in order to cover that speech, and at the same time it is simulcasted in Canada, does that mean that Canadian viewers will also see the coverage of the speech of the US President in that particular moment?

Does a similar situation arise with Virgin Media Ireland (or its predecessor) if ITV's schedule gets disrupted? I'm thinking of occasions when This Morning has thrown to breaking news and not come back.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Rdd - 12-01-2024

I’m not normally at home during This Morning, so not sure if I can give a good answer on this one, but VMTV have no deal with ITN, so they can’t show its programming (although I think they have taken Royal Weddings and things like that on a once-off basis). So they wouldn’t be entitled to show an ITN breaking news report.

As an aside I’m always thankful nobody in media policy in Ireland ever heard of simsubbing and thought “that’s a great idea, we should do that”! The removal of ITV from cable has probably obliviated a great deal of need for it as far as VMTV would be concerned though.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - IndigoTucker - 12-01-2024

(10-01-2024, 08:33 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  Quick question. Did BSB have a text service?

That is a very good question. They definately had a commercial data service, and I have seen a video of a text-based service on their boxes for some purpose.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Technologist - 12-01-2024

What I remember was that the data service offered came as multiple of 64Kbits/s
even 64Kbit/s was far more tthan any customer seemed to need -
so Im not certain that they had any .......
But I know that BBC datacast (and presumably DBI) had enquiries for their services at lets say 9k6bit/s or less
as a result of BSB advertising ....

That got me to look at the D2MAC spec I know it was D-MAC but the basic structure was the same
https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_i_ets/300200_300299/300250/01_60/ets_300250e01p.pdf 
Section 4 describes what it can carry as Data
4A data is Teletext in field blanking of the video
4B data is Teletext carried in the MAC mux
4C data is the General Pupose Data carried in the MAC Mux (this is the 64K service)

It would seem to me that 4A would take a channels teletext both Addtsional (Ceefax like)
and Ancilliary (This channel listings / info or Subtitles)
4B would be a BSB Text service which could be both Ceefax Like or data broadcasting
But Im not certain how much of this was actually used....

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Stooky Bill - 12-01-2024

(12-01-2024, 11:17 AM)IndigoTucker Wrote:  That is a very good question. They definately had a commercial data service, and I have seen a video of a text-based service on their boxes for some purpose.
The boxes had an on-screen now and next function, which of course was quite advanced for its time.

It is a good question, apparently DMAC had the facility for carrying teletext as a data burst alongside the audio. Presumably it couldn't be carried in the normal way, like on modern digital broadcasting standards where it has to be carried seperately. Seems other MAC broadcasters used the data burst for multi language subtitles

I'd have thought BSB used it for subtitles too, but according to this article they didn't include teletext decoders in their recievers:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg12817420-200-comment-bsbs-bubble-bursts/ 

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Brekkie - 15-01-2024

When did ITV axe the regional front caps? Seem to still be around in 1988 but hone by 1992. Were they a victim of the 1989 generic look?

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - ACTV - 15-01-2024

(15-01-2024, 07:33 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  When did ITV axe the regional front caps? Seem to still be around in 1988 but hone by 1992. Were they a victim of the 1989 generic look?

Pretty sure they were dropped at the beginning of 1988.

Yorkshire continued with the practice until the generic look came around but were never seen on any networked broadcasts aside from the region itself, as far as I know.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - lookoutwales - 15-01-2024

Precisely 1st January 1988 when frontcaps were dropped (sometime during 1983 when they were ditched during CITV) - though I think YTV had a practice of retaining their Liquid Gold ident for most, if not all, network output (even if the ident itself was bypassed)

Seem to recall the ident appeared at the top of Series 2 (1989) repeats of The New Statesman on what was Paramount Comedy.

For whatever reason, certain enthusiasts have considered the dropping of the frontcaps as "the beginning of the end" for regional ITV, which always seemed a rather silly opinion to hold, IMO.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Humphrey Hacker - 15-01-2024

(12-01-2024, 07:43 PM)Technologist Wrote:  What I remember was that the data service offered came as multiple of 64Kbits/s
even 64Kbit/s was far more tthan any customer seemed to need -
so Im not certain that they had any .......
But I know that BBC datacast (and presumably DBI) had enquiries for their services at lets say 9k6bit/s or less
as a result of BSB advertising ....

That got me to look at the D2MAC spec I know it was D-MAC but the basic structure was the same
https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_i_ets/300200_300299/300250/01_60/ets_300250e01p.pdf 
Section 4 describes what it can carry as Data
4A data is Teletext in field blanking of the video
4B data is Teletext carried in the MAC mux
4C data is the General Pupose Data carried in the MAC Mux (this is the 64K service)

It would seem to me that 4A would take a channels teletext both Addtsional (Ceefax like)
and Ancilliary (This channel listings / info or Subtitles)
4B would be a BSB Text service which could be both Ceefax Like or data broadcasting
But Im not certain how much of this was actually used....

It's a shame BSB didn't stay around long enough to develop its technology .

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Neil Jones - 15-01-2024

(15-01-2024, 08:22 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Precisely 1st January 1988 when frontcaps were dropped (sometime during 1983 when they were ditched during CITV) - though I think YTV had a practice of retaining their Liquid Gold ident for most, if not all, network output (even if the ident itself was bypassed)

Here's an episode of Supergran from 1985 with Tyne Tees ident:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvGp9pxrA5U 

As this was a Network DVD (and the video must have come from a DVD as it would be almost unheard of for an endcap to stay on air for 15 seconds even in this era of Children's ITV), its probably faithful to the original programme, as I don't really see why Network would go to the trouble of getting the right front cap for the right era just for a DVD release?

IIRC Children's ITV programmes still had front-caps, but weren't played on air, though the Tyne Tees example suggests they were probably present on the programmes until some point down the line...?