Pres Café
The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The Media Question Amnesty Thread (/showthread.php?tid=546)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Steve in Pudsey - 15-01-2024

I have a recollection that Super Gran went out at the weekends rather than in the Children's ITV block, perhaps that explains it?

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Milkshake - 15-01-2024

Supergran did in deed go out on a Sunday Afternoon, I think it was one of the last series to do so before Dyke moved the slot to have more football.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Humphrey Hacker - 15-01-2024

(15-01-2024, 10:03 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Supergran did in deed go out on a Sunday Afternoon, I think it was one of the last series to do so before Dyke moved the slot to have more football.

One thing I never understood about Supergran was that it was set in Scotland but made by Tyne-Tees.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Neil Jones - 15-01-2024

(15-01-2024, 11:30 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  One thing I never understood about Supergran was that it was set in Scotland but made by Tyne-Tees.

Not unusual.

Fawlty Towers was set in Torquay, but the bulk of the externals were done in North London. Indeed the "Damn good thrashing" was done in the middle of a residential estate in Harrow I think it was.

Crossroads was set in the fictional King's Oak which is supposedly somewhere south of Birmingham, but after I think 1984 was filmed in Nottingham. The later revival locations were done in Bingham which is somewhere off to the east of Nottingham.

Probably no end of other examples.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - James2001 - 15-01-2024

I'm pretty sure Crossroads was in Birmingham for the entire original run, it was only the 2001 and 2003 versions that were made in Nottingham.

But, yes, VERY common for shows to not be set where they're made, in all countries, and in movies as well as TV. You'd be suprised how many movies supposedly set in a major US city were actually made in the likes of Liverpool and Glasgow...

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Rdd - 16-01-2024

Vancouver is a particular favourite in North America, of course.

Line of Duty was set in a fictional English city that was totally not Birmingham but filmed in Belfast, and ISTR that in some episodes very obviously Translink buses and trains could be seen.

Mrs Browns Boys set in Dublin but taped in Glasgow. (In that case there’s no exterior shots, so it could be shot in any studio anywhere).

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Neil Jones - 16-01-2024

(15-01-2024, 11:55 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I'm pretty sure Crossroads was in Birmingham for the entire original run, it was only the 2001 and 2003 versions that were made in Nottingham.

Sorry its too late at night, I've looked it up and yes the original show studio work was done at ATV Centre (Broad Street) up until 1988, I must have been thinking of something else. The location work for Crossroads quite often went well away from Birmingham though.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - JAS84 - 16-01-2024

(15-01-2024, 11:30 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  One thing I never understood about Supergran was that it was set in Scotland but made by Tyne-Tees.
It was a book adaptation, and the books were written by a Scottish author, Forrest Wilson. That's why it's set in Scotland.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Steve in Pudsey - 16-01-2024

Last of the Summer Wine did the exteriors up here in Yorkshire but the interior scenes were recorded at TV Centre. They also used a London audience for the screening at which they recorded the laughter track, I believe.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - dvboy - 16-01-2024

(16-01-2024, 12:19 AM)Rdd Wrote:  Line of Duty was set in a fictional English city that was totally not Birmingham but filmed in Belfast, and ISTR that in some episodes very obviously Translink buses and trains could be seen.

The first series was filmed in Birmingham.

Birmingham has substituted for London in many shows and films. Hustle and The Game are a couple that come to mind.