Pres Café
The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The Media Question Amnesty Thread (/showthread.php?tid=546)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - XIII - 16-01-2024

When a drama films in say Ireland as a substitute for an English city or town, it's usually hard to tell the difference, when they film abroad it's a lot easier to spot although the Channel 5 drama For Her Sins was filmed in Malta and it was pretty good stand in.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Stooky Bill - 16-01-2024

(15-01-2024, 08:48 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  It's a shame BSB didn't stay around long enough to develop its technology .
It wasn't theirs as such, it was an IBA/EBU standard that barely anyone else used and didn't catch on.

By the time it merged with Sky it was only 5 years before the first DVB-S broadcast, and 8 years away from the launch of digital broadcasting in the UK. MAC was already becoming obsolete and the IBA was abolished so they were left with it.

If they'd survived they'd almost certainly have ditched MAC and gone with the standard DVB transmission. If it was possible they could have got more channels onto their satellites of course but still no where near as many as Astra. Even if they could stay on Marcopolo, transitioning to digital with so few transponders would have been difficult.

With the cost of owning and running satellites being expensive they'd have ended up on the same satellite as Sky and everyone else. The DVB standard offers everything MAC could and a lot more

(15-01-2024, 11:30 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  One thing I never understood about Supergran was that it was set in Scotland but made by Tyne-Tees.
It just depends on which company came up with the idea of making the programme and buying the rights. I suppose their patch isn't too far from Scotland

Around the same time Thames were making their two Adrian Mole series in South West London despite it being set in the midlands.

Another that springs to mind is Wycliffe which was an HTV production despite being set in Cornwall

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - robertclark125 - 16-01-2024

(16-01-2024, 08:46 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  It just depends on which company came up with the idea of making the programme and buying the rights. I suppose their patch isn't too far from Scotland

Around the same time Thames were making their two Adrian Mole series in South West London despite it being set in the midlands.

Another that springs to mind is Wycliffe which was an HTV production despite being set in Cornwall

I can't remember the name of it, but in the early 1990s, BBC1 showed a three part drama, on Sunday nights, about a middle aged man, who got into a relationship with a young woman. Filmed in the North East of England, as we saw a Northumbria single decker bus, it was made by BBC Scotland! If anyone knows the name, let me know please!

The most obvious example was Central making Auf Wiedersien Pet. Set in Newcastle and Germany, no doubt the studio inserts were filmed in Birmingham!

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - soulfulscotsman - 16-01-2024

(16-01-2024, 09:07 AM)robertclark125 Wrote:  I can't remember the name of it, but in the early 1990s, BBC1 showed a three part drama, on Sunday nights, about a middle aged man, who got into a relationship with a young woman. Filmed in the North East of England, as we saw a Northumbria single decker bus, it was made by BBC Scotland! If anyone knows the name, let me know please!

The most obvious example was Central making Auf Wiedersien Pet. Set in Newcastle and Germany, no doubt the studio inserts were filmed in Birmingham!

Wasn't part of Auf Wiedersien, Pet shot at Elstree? On what was, until recently, Eastenders' Albert Square?

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - James2001 - 16-01-2024

That was actually filmed at Elstree, or at least the first series was- the supposed German building site was famously in the same spot where Albert Square stood for over 35 years.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - nwtv2003 - 16-01-2024

In the first series the building site was actually at Elstree on what became the EastEnders set. This shortly before Central sold the site to the BBC.

Oh and the cartoon about mice on the London Underground, Tube Mice, which was made for TSW. They even put their logo into the titles...

https://youtu.be/FqI9mpJwlgE?si=_luGbT71en6EqNjf 

(16-01-2024, 10:45 AM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  In the first series the building site was actually at Elstree on what became the EastEnders set. This shortly before Central sold the site to the BBC.
Indeed, in fact I think the tower block that was seen in the background of Albert Square was also in the background of Aug Wiedersen Pet

Here's a very detailed page about the set/lot
https://www.becobuilding.site/location.htm 

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Neil Jones - 16-01-2024

Locations in South Africa tend to double up nicely as locations for all kinds of shows and film (and adverts). some Amazon Originals were done in South Africa, as was ITV's Wild at Heart.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Spencer - 16-01-2024

I seem to remember quite a few of the ITV1 'Emotions' idents from 2006 were shot in South Africa.