Pres Café
The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The Media Question Amnesty Thread (/showthread.php?tid=546)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - James2001 - 23-01-2024

You also have the thing from around 1988/89 where the Thames copyright strap used to animate on screen letter by letter. Looks like it started to vanish after they lost their franchise, but there's still a few post-1992 examples, there was a single 1993 episode of The Bill that still had it (the episode Sean Macquire guest starred in just before he joined EastEnders- all the other 1993 episodes had it on the Thames/Yorkshire endcap), and Heroes of Comedy on Channel 4 still had it in 1998.

The original showings of Mr Bean had it too, but the strap's been removed since (I do remember it being left in one one epsiode when ITV3 showed it in the early 2010s though). And of course the original Tiger Television and Thames endcaps are long gone, replaced with various 00s Tiger Aspect ones, depending on when the copies were made (the awful "HD" cropped to 16:9 versions have one with an EndemolShine logo on).

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Stooky Bill - 23-01-2024

(22-01-2024, 11:24 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  1) a) in theory all of them, but Mr Bean was an indie production (Tiger Aspect), not a Thames show. It was just presented by Thames to the ITV network (and later Central).
I'm pretty sure Thames had some involvement and it was more a co-production, at least with the early episodes (I can't check the exact wording as the ones online have been retro-edited to change the titles and have cut off the production caption). Certainly they provided facilities for the filming - if you look carefully at his credit card in one episode it's a Thames TV corporate card!

But then for international distribution its not just the production company that's credited but the distributor too, which was Thames and it's successors.... and probably still is

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Neil Jones - 23-01-2024

(23-01-2024, 09:17 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I'm pretty sure Thames had some involvement and it was more a co-production, at least with the early episodes (I can't check the exact wording as the ones online have been retro-edited to change the titles and have cut off the production caption). Certainly they provided facilities for the filming - if you look carefully at his credit card in one episode it's a Thames TV corporate card!

I've found this, albeit it with credits translated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spS25PqPmcQ 

Here's Tiger TV's audio endcap, but I don't think this is an off-air, considering the amount of blurb under the box:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKGJZQIfgbM 

By 1993 we had this sort of thing going on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp0XMUtUaaE 

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Stooky Bill - 23-01-2024

Yes so even when it was a Central Production it was still 'in association with Thames'

The credits to episode 1 seem to have the classic Thames logo added as well as the Freemantle one, it was made in 1990 when I'm pretty sure that had been replaced with the ice cream cone logo

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Humphrey Hacker - 25-01-2024

Going back to "Thames Weekend News" and this is a pernickety point. I understand the basis behind the bulletin and everything but I wonder how many people at the time considered Friday evenings to be part of the weekend. To me the weekend is Saturday and Sunday but were the IBA so determined to give LWT a greater share of the ratings in the area that they were prepared to play fast and loose with definitions of when the weekend started?

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Transmission - 26-01-2024

(25-01-2024, 09:14 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  Going back to "Thames Weekend News" and this is a pernickety point. I understand the basis behind the bulletin and everything but I wonder how many people at the time considered Friday evenings to be part of the weekend. To me the weekend is Saturday and Sunday but were the IBA so determined to give LWT a greater share of the ratings in the area that they were prepared to play fast and loose with definitions of when the weekend started?

As a child of the 80s growing up in London, to this day there's still something in the back of my head that says the weekend starts on Friday at 17:15 because that's when LWT came on.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Stooky Bill - 26-01-2024

Well the weekend starts when you get out of school or work on Friday. But in television terms that changeover at 5:15 was the start - LWT was just so much more exciting.

Not a new thing - in the 60s Rediffusion had a music show on early Friday evenings called Ready Steady Go and that always started with the phrase 'the weekend starts here!'

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Humphrey Hacker - 26-01-2024

(26-01-2024, 09:16 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Well the weekend starts when you get out of school or work on Friday. But in television terms that changeover at 5:15 was the start - LWT was just so much more exciting.

Not a new thing - in the 60s Rediffusion had a music show on early Friday evenings called Ready Steady Go and that always started with the phrase 'the weekend starts here!'

Yeah I get that. Just me being a typical Yorkshireman "nah lad, its t'weekend on satday not chuffin Friday" Big Grin

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Neil Jones - 27-01-2024

Quite a few TV shows used to say "the weekend starts here", albeit it at like 6pm on a Saturday night. Big Grin

But yes I think the general consensus is it's 5pm, it's Friday, work can wait, I'm outta here.

Unless of course your working pattern happens to be either most Saturdays or every other Saturday or one in six or whatever your arrangement it, and then your weekend starts... whenever your two days off begin.

(25-01-2024, 09:14 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  Going back to "Thames Weekend News" and this is a pernickety point. I understand the basis behind the bulletin and everything but I wonder how many people at the time considered Friday evenings to be part of the weekend. To me the weekend is Saturday and Sunday but were the IBA so determined to give LWT a greater share of the ratings in the area that they were prepared to play fast and loose with definitions of when the weekend started?

Must also be remembered LWT (and probably Thames for that matter) lost a chunk of coverage from was it Bluebell? and it was given to TVS, although I'm not sure if that's the main reason why the LWT startt time was changed.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Brekkie - 27-01-2024

It didn't start till 8pm on Saturday nights according to Dermot O'Leary.