Pres Café
The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The Media Question Amnesty Thread (/showthread.php?tid=546)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Neil Jones - 27-08-2023

I've seen it before on +1 channels where the main channel has an issue of some sort (power failure is the main one), and when everything's rebooted (whether the main channel recovers on its own is another matter) its usually the +1 channel that comes back first.

And of course the whole breakdown and chaos of getting something on air again goes out all over again on said +1 channel pretty much ad-verbatim, save for maybe a bit of black where the failure was originally.

Is it the norm that if a playout system is the subject of a power failure somebody has to intervene to get it logged in or whatever to start working? Or in theory could it just auto power on and carry on? I presume the former is the case because of advert quota regulations and you probably wouldn't want adverts falling in the wrong clock hour...

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Orry Verducci - 27-08-2023

(27-08-2023, 09:46 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Is it the norm that if a playout system is the subject of a power failure somebody has to intervene to get it logged in or whatever to start working? Or in theory could it just auto power on and carry on? I presume the former is the case because of advert quota regulations and you probably wouldn't want adverts falling in the wrong clock hour...

Depends on the extent of the failure, and the design of the automation software.

In my experience with the major playout systems, they run the playlists in memory on a server. So if that server goes down suddenly (e.g. a power cut), it will lose that playlist, and it will be up to the operator to reload it and get playout running again.

For that reason it's common for playout facilities to run duplicate copies of every channel in sync across separate servers for redundancy. Sometimes in separate locations as Red Bee do for the BBC, ITV and Channel 4. The idea being that if one fails it acts as not only a hot standby for output (i.e. minimal disruption to viewers), but it also acts as a sync source for the other playlist to reference to get itself back online without human intervention.

In the case of +1's, their video servers are usually set to always run as a one hour delay. Which is why they're often first to come back as they will automatically start playing from the right point as soon as they come online, even if the automation system isn't operational yet, assuming the recording exists.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Technologist - 27-08-2023

(27-08-2023, 07:19 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Yes I interpreted it as the distinction between RedBee and Arqiva in BBC terms
But there is BBC code and mux in there
PSB1 Red bee w12 /Salford > BBC C&M > Arqiva
PSB 2 Red Bee Chiswick /Leeds > BT M&B > Arqiva
PSB 3 Red Bee > BBC C&M > Arqiva
Other muxes
Various >Arqiva> Arqiva
Most local tv
COMUX>COMUX > Arqiva (but varies)

Code and mux is geographically separate sites ….
And there is more playout DR …

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Spencer - 28-08-2023

Something I’ve always wondered…

When you see a politician doing the morning media interviews from a CSO studio in Westminster, whose studio is that, or does it vary? Do the broadcasters take it in turns to host them, or is there a dedicated setup somewhere?

Plus, do they do the radio interview(s) from the same studio or do they go to a separate radio studio?

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Keith - 29-08-2023

On the subject of +1 channels in general I'm slightly surprised that there's much of a need for them these days.

I'd have thought that on Sky, Virgin and internet connected Freeview & Freesat they could in theory have a 'Press green button to watch from start' service. Beyond that short time period most channels have a catchup TV service, where some of those programmes are available.

At a quick glance on Sky +1 channels are in the 200s, and on Virgin they're in 300s. It's only Freeview and Freesat where still having a +1 means the channel's owner can keep a potentially lucrative channel number.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Neil Jones - 29-08-2023

A lot of Sky (owned/branded) channels do have the "press green to restart your programme" banner.
the iPlayer on a smart TV will now give you the option to restart.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Bluecortina - 29-08-2023

(28-08-2023, 04:22 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Something I’ve always wondered…

When you see a politician doing the morning media interviews from a CSO studio in Westminster, whose studio is that, or does it vary? Do the broadcasters take it in turns to host them, or is there a dedicated setup somewhere?

Plus, do they do the radio interview(s) from the same studio or do they go to a separate radio studio?

ITV has its own dedicated studio at Millbank from where they ‘do’ the weather and monthly local political programmes/interviews etc. I cannot speak for the BBC.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - all new phil - 29-08-2023

(29-08-2023, 10:49 AM)Keith Wrote:  On the subject of +1 channels in general I'm slightly surprised that there's much of a need for them these days.

I'd have thought that on Sky, Virgin and internet connected Freeview & Freesat they could in theory have a 'Press green button to watch from start' service. Beyond that short time period most channels have a catchup TV service, where some of those programmes are available.

At a quick glance on Sky +1 channels are in the 200s, and on Virgin they're in 300s. It's only Freeview and Freesat where still having a +1 means the channel's owner can keep a potentially lucrative channel number.

The lack of them on Sky Stream and Glass suggests they’re on their way out - which is ironic as you’d think the setup of Stream and Glass would allow for +1s to run easily (just by running a stream on a one hour delay). 

I always thought the whole point of them was for passive viewers rather than as a catch up service. Someone flicking for something to watch essentially has 2 ITV2s, 2 More4s etc that could grab them, therefore double the potential opportunity for eyes on adverts.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - WillPS - 29-08-2023

(29-08-2023, 12:39 PM)all new phil Wrote:  The lack of them on Sky Stream and Glass suggests they’re on their way out - which is ironic as you’d think the setup of Stream and Glass would allow for +1s to run easily (just by running a stream on a one hour delay). 

I always thought the whole point of them was for passive viewers rather than as a catch up service. Someone flicking for something to watch essentially has 2 ITV2s, 2 More4s etc that could grab them, therefore double the potential opportunity for eyes on adverts.

That's my understanding of the incentive for a broadcaster too. As a viewer, back in the days where three quarters of an average evening's viewer came from a DTR, they were often useful tools in managing record conflicts (particularly when I lived in a flat with just a single satelite feed) - but again I doubt that was a plus point for the broadcaster.

ISTR back in the early days of Freeview when E4 went FTA, E4+1 was actually a noticably better quality stream.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - James2001 - 29-08-2023

Clearly they still consider them worth running, or they'd be gone.