Pres Café
The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The Media Question Amnesty Thread (/showthread.php?tid=546)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Technologist - 01-09-2023

The new D3&4 mux is done by BT M&B https://www.mediaandbroadcast.bt.com/case-studies/coding-and-multiplex.html 
(NOT Arqiva) and if i was designing it I would feed it HD in any case - its simpler and gives better coding.
It uses Software encoders - as does PSB3 ....

Having been looking at (PSB) going T2/HD since 2008 there are many factors that come into play ....

How many T1 only viewers will you turn off ?
(on the other hand if the Digital Help Scheme surplus (£400M) was applied to this -it buyes a lot of basic STB
( but not so much now Basic is Freeview play)-the surplus just went into the consolidated fund)

How do you allocate the Muxes?
- at present all PSB muxes are regionalised - say 450+ coders
but the services carried can be done by a regional mux a national mux and a UK wide mux = say just 200 coders

Getting rid of SD simulcast and increasing bit rate by T2 gives almost an spare mux.... who will use it ?
as the contracts with Arqiva run to 2035 and amortise the cost of DSO over 25 years.

There are so many more .... it is amazing how what appear trivial matters can swing the direction of the design

But overarching is the political support - sadly the Vaizey plan did not get this .....
and the BBC /C4/Arqiva initative did not get public support either!
.... and Im retired!

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - gottago - 03-09-2023

What’s the story behind C4 being available in Ireland? I might be making this up but I feel like I remember reading that it long predated BBC One and Two being available on cable and satellite there. It has its own advertising region so must have a substantial audience. I remember when Big Brother was at its peak they had separate ROI voting numbers.

Was it available there from launch? Google’s not being particularly helpful.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Rdd - 04-09-2023

(03-09-2023, 10:05 PM)gottago Wrote:  What’s the story behind C4 being available in Ireland? I might be making this up but I feel like I remember reading that it long predated BBC One and Two being available on cable and satellite there. It has its own advertising region so must have a substantial audience. I remember when Big Brother was at its peak they had separate ROI voting numbers.

Was it available there from launch? Google’s not being particularly helpful.
It was, but as for predating BBC, god no, cable in Ireland exists because of the BBC & ITV - Dublin was a sea of high mast aerials for BBC and ITV in the 1960s which urban legend has it was an aircraft navigation hazard (not sure if that’s really true). The early systems would have just carried RTE TV, BBC 1&2 and depending on the area UTV or HTV or both. The companies that had both UTV and HTV replaced HTV with Channel 4 in or around launch day, the ones that just had HTV added S4C instead (like Wales itself, they wouldn’t get Channel 4 till digital came along). 

Skipping ahead a bit, ITV left cable in Ireland more or less entirely on 1st January 2015. Channel 5 was never really on it.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Steve in Pudsey - 04-09-2023

The whole situation of BBC channels being available in Eire but RTE being fiercely protected in mainland UK seems vastly unfair on the face of it. I assume it's because of the complex politics of Northern Ireland and because adding "and Ireland" to rights packages costs the BBC peanuts but adding "and UK" would be prohibitive for RTE?

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Kunst - 04-09-2023

(04-09-2023, 11:14 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  The whole situation of BBC channels being available in Eire but RTE being fiercely protected in mainland UK seems vastly unfair on the face of it. I assume it's because of the complex politics of Northern Ireland and because adding "and Ireland" to rights packages costs the BBC peanuts but adding "and UK" would be prohibitive for RTE?

It's a situation replicated towards all of Europe among smaller nations, there's nothing surprising.

German operations cater Austria and German speaking Switzerland etc. but often ÖRF and SRF among the many don't.

Actually German, French broadcasters are very often broadcast with local ad windows into Belgium , CH, Austria and so on

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Neil Jones - 04-09-2023

What's a typical shift pattern/hours in broadcasting/continuity these days?

Lost count of the number of times I've heard one voice introducing a programme and then another voice over the credits of that programme (referring to channels that have live continuity, not somewhere like BBC Four which we know pre-records continuity)

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Transmission - 04-09-2023

(04-09-2023, 11:26 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  What's a typical shift pattern/hours in broadcasting/continuity these days?

Lost count of the number of times I've heard one voice introducing a programme and then another voice over the credits of that programme (referring to channels that have live continuity, not somewhere like BBC Four which we know pre-records continuity)

Playout director/transmission controller shifts are often 12 hours, though some are 10 or similar. Usually starting something like 7, 7:30 or 8am for day shifts and the same in the pm for night shifts. Some places will have mid-shifts in the afternoon to help cover breaks and things like that, plus there'll be places where there might be specific shifts to help cover certain live events.

With continuity announcers, I remember BBC One being 6am to around 2pm, and then 2pm until around midnight. BBC Two starting later in the morning but (might be wrong about this bit) also finishing later, so the evening announcer will record links for the next morning. Might have changed by now. And there are some channels that have live announcers in the evenings but recorded during the day.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Rdd - 04-09-2023

(04-09-2023, 11:22 AM)Kunst Wrote:  It's a situation replicated towards all of Europe among smaller nations, there's nothing surprising.

German operations cater Austria and German speaking Switzerland etc. but often ÖRF and SRF among the many don't.

Actually German, French broadcasters are very often broadcast with local ad windows into Belgium , CH, Austria and so on

I remember in the 1990s ORF was available in Bavaria, at least, on cable. It may not have been more widely in Germany mind you. I don’t recall Swiss TV being available.

Yes, it’s more cost effective for UK broadcasters to add Ireland on for rights than it is for Irish broadcasters to add the UK on! Premier Sports and Setanta before them were probably the only examples of Ireland & UK broadcasters, but even then they were really primarily targeting the UK with Ireland included too (and even then there was some variations in both cases). Tara TV in the 1990s, but that was a UK channel that happened to show Irish content and wasn’t (at the end anyway) available in Ireland itself.

In NI, availability of ROI broadcasters, other than via overspill, is a much more recent thing. NTL, as was, carried them first in the late 1990s, albeit with a blackout for Home and Away thanks to a dispute with C5. Sky carriage came later and the NI minimux on Freeview later still, around the time of DSO. And VMTV has never been part of those arrangements, though it is closely associated with ITV in any case.

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - Kunst - 04-09-2023

I think some cable operators in Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg still have ÖRF and even SRF, but definitely some programmes might be blocked

RE: The Media Question Amnesty Thread - i.h - 04-09-2023

Kabelio in Switzerland is a particularly interesting example - they essentially rebroadcast the channels of various European countries including the main UK PSBs, in an encrypted manner on Hotbird 13E and intended solely for the Swiss market

I wonder how that works from a copyright perspective, it's one thing to put up your own dish and receive FTA but surely another to rebroadcast and require payment