Pres Café
Gladiators re-revival - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gladiators re-revival (/showthread.php?tid=55)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Larry the Loafer - 06-01-2024

The perceived faithfulness to the LWT series is giving me more hope than most reboots usually do.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Gary McEwan - 06-01-2024

Skytrak was always a firm favourite of mine back in the day, but given the height is lower than that of the NIA, I’m sure if it would be viable these days.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - PJamo - 07-01-2024

(06-01-2024, 09:18 PM)Gary McEwan Wrote:  Skytrak was always a firm favourite of mine back in the day, but given the height is lower than that of the NIA, I’m sure if it would be viable these days.

I remember loving Danger Zone, Swingshot and Atlaspheres back in the day, but when I revisit the LWT episodes online it's generally Powerball, Hang Tough and Duel that interest me the most. Interesting how tastes change over the years I guess!

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Neil Jones - 07-01-2024

The first series was the same six games every week - Atlaspheres, The Wall, Danger Zone, Swingshot, Hang Tough and Duel followed by The Eliminator.

It was when they started adding the other games for more variety that some of them didn't quite hit the mark, though by the time Diane Youdale left I think I lost a lot of interest in it, as the replacement gladiators weren't as interesting as the ones who had left, in fact IIRC by the time Youdale left they only had about three or four of the original batch left.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - Brekkie - 07-01-2024

I'm guessing the BBC will likely just pad to fill the extra 10 minutes rather than add an extra round.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - JAS84 - 07-01-2024

That's easy to do. Some kind of behind the scenes feature would do the job, or something about the backstories of the new Gladiators. Being the first series of this version, they could also just take longer explaining the rules of each game.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - tellyblues - 08-01-2024

Out of all the recent reboots, Gladiators probably is the one that people expected to succeed least but it's looking good so far. Although Wheel of Fortune launched well it has its issues and I think it will drop and Gladiators is going to win the battle.

RE: Gladiators re-revival - RhysJR - 08-01-2024

Press pack from BBC Media Centre

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/articles/2024/gladiators 

RE: Gladiators re-revival - James2001 - 08-01-2024

(08-01-2024, 06:36 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Out of all the recent reboots, Gladiators probably is the one that people expected to succeed least but it's looking good so far. Although Wheel of Fortune launched well it has its issues and I think it will drop and Gladiators is going to win the battle.

Gladiators looks like it's staying true to the ITV version (unlike the Sky revival), which I think will help it a lot in attracting viewers. Wheel of Fortune is just too Americanised and missing many of the elements that made the old UK version work so well.

I'm still hoping WoF gets a second series and are able to make changes to bring it back closer to the old version... or at least make other tweaks to make it more suitable for a UK audience. But it could get buried against Gladiators which clearly has the nostalgia factor.

There's still a WoF connection as well, as Bradley left the show after only one series because of Barney's birth... now they're hosting Gladiators together up against it!

Gladiators Reboot - Neil Jones - 13-01-2024

As my previous post about Jeopardy! got split out from the Gameshow thread, thought I'd save admin the effort this time round Smile

So.. the new Gladiators reboot.

Liking what I see so far... almost like it never went away Smile

Same theme music, looks very similar to the ITV show, and updated visuals as you'd expect. Same usage of Another One Bites The Dust when you fall off a podium, but surprisingly no sign of We Will Rock You this time round.

I have to say this is quite good.

Moderator Note (Frappé): Posts merged into the existing New Gladiators thread and some redundant comments tidied up. No need to thank us, that's why us mods do this job! Smile